Ways to use leftover plain Greek Yogurt?

Options

Replies

• jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If I don't use it in smoothies, I have a cup of it mixed with fruit (blackberries are my preference but you can really use anything you want).
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Like sour cream, put over tacos, enchiladas, burritos, personally i love plain greek yogurt w/ chocolate chips & splenda as a dessert remind me of cannoli filling!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    Like sour cream, put over tacos, enchiladas, burritos, personally i love plain greek yogurt w/ chocolate chips & splenda as a dessert remind me of cannoli filling!

The cookies & cream batch I have right now reminded me of something I couldn't quite place until you said it - cannoli filling.
  • Reliata
    Reliata Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like putting it on toast. Or just a little bit on the toast under a fried egg, it adds a little bit of creaminess. If you're not a big fan of the consistency, maybe you could pick up a cheesecloth and strain the greek yogurt to get it a thicker consistency, more like cream cheese.

But then you're stuck with the problem of what to do with the leftover whey.

Another think you could do with greek yogurt is add it to mashed potatoes to add that creaminess (instead of adding milk or butter, or in addition to adding those things!)
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Add honey to it and then you can eat it as a flavored yogurt. I also use it anywhere there is to be mayo or sour cream. It's fantastic to use with low fat cheese in recipes so it seems and tastes more cheesy for so few calories.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Really good with honey added to it
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I make protein bowls for breakfast with non fat plain greek yogurt. I take a cup of yogurt add a half of scoop of my favorite protein power then add fresh berries and/or trail mix or granola. I seriously eat it almost every day during the work week. You can also mix it with honey and cinnamon. or use it in place of sour cream. So good!
  • heatherrollyson
    heatherrollyson Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I love using it for making buffalo chicken for either a dip, sandwiches or for wraps
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I eat it for breakfast with protein powder, fiber cereal, sweetener, and chocolate chips or chocolate PB2. Thin it out with a little milk until it's the consistency you like. I go through a few tubs of Greek yogurt every week.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Reliata wrote: »
    I like putting it on toast. Or just a little bit on the toast under a fried egg, it adds a little bit of creaminess. If you're not a big fan of the consistency, maybe you could pick up a cheesecloth and strain the greek yogurt to get it a thicker consistency, more like cream cheese.

But then you're stuck with the problem of what to do with the leftover whey.

Another think you could do with greek yogurt is add it to mashed potatoes to add that creaminess (instead of adding milk or butter, or in addition to adding those things!)

Me, too! I thought I was the only one.

Or you could add it to cake and cookie batters in place of whatever liquid is called for.
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,286 Member
    Options
    hand full of walnuts and a drizzle of honey .. yum

grapes and a spoon of jam (not to my taste but I was recommended to try this out)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    OMG, I never considered adding it to mashed potatoes. Great idea, @Reliata !
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can make ranch dressing out of it. I don’t have the link anymore, but I’m sure you can find it w a quick google search. Tastes like the expensive yogurt based ones in the produce section.
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Works great in mashed potatoes instead of butter and sour cream.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    As many others have mentioned, I use Greek yogurt as a substitute for everything creamy.

But if you just want to eat it for breakfast: mix in some applesauce to thin the consistency. Frozen thawed fruit works well, too.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I mixed a serving with a teaspoon of real maple syrup, 10 g of walnuts, and crumbled 2 ginger snap cookies into it for an evening snack. Its my new favorite.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas, thanks!!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    In chicken salad!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries, cereal and yogurt, best snack ever!