Losing Weight While Chronically Unwell

Options
Hi all,

Just wondered if there are any others (I'm sure there must be), trying to get to a healthier body weight while struggling with life-scuppering illnesses, and if so, if you want to chat/friend me. I'm a 35 yr old guy, prone to comfort eating and large portions, trying to gently shape my diet back to something a little more healthy. I have to take it very slow and not lay down the law to myself about "having this and not having that", so anyone who is doing a similar thing would be a most welcome friend along the way.

Good luck to you all, I hope you achieve your goals :)

Replies

• MyTurnNow2018
    MyTurnNow2018 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a few health issues that make losing weight and maintaining VERY difficult. Pain is the worst enemy of weight loss in my opinion. When my pain levels go up, my urge to eat bad stuff comes out worse. I also don't feel like doing much at all when it comes to working out. It is a CONSTANT struggle. The one thing I always repeat to myself when feeling down , or like I messed up is..."AT LEAST I AM STILL TRYING" .... As long as you don't give in completely, you're still doing the right thing.
    I had tacos for lunch. At first I felt kind of guilty, but I only had 2 and I had them fresco style. Instead of 3 with cheese like I normally would want LOL :) The thing is, I am accountable now. I am quick to make sure I log everything, even if it means I go over in some categories.
    Day by day is the only way to do this!
    Good luck !! :)
  • sunsqueak
    sunsqueak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you both!! While I am not (technically) unwell, I'm obviously not the model of healthy living either. Same as you both, I'm big into comfort foods. Recently I tried something that's working reasonably well for me - first, once a week I treat myself to a preferred meal. Things like grilled shrimp make me feel like I'm treating myself. Insofar as snacks, I luckily enjoy fruit. Each evening at 8 p.m. I'm treating myself to fruit ... with whipped cream. Yes, it's far from ideal - but it's a much better choice than some of my previous options. Anyone with other suggestions, please pass them along!
  • Getting7here
    Getting7here Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind replies :)

I think my problem is there are so many reasons to eat it seems, from boredom to stress and excitement, there's usually a way to justify it to myself. I know if I can reduce the comfort eating I'll lose a good stone or so, it's just being in a mental place to be able to deal with the cravings and not giving in, it takes energy from elsewhere lol.

Good luck to you both :)