Pain

Options
Let me start by telling my story I have been on MFP in the past and have lost 105 lbs in 9 months but have gained alot of it back about 75 lbs. I have had surgery on my knee which made it hurt more that was in February 2017 and then in a car accident in August 2017 which caused alot of injury to my right leg. It bruised the bone in the knee, tore my calf muscle, and I have a partial achilles tendon tear which I wont get treatment until November 7 and they want to put me in a cast and if that doesnt work then surgery. Now I must lose this weight my knees are so painful and stiff and nothing is helping.how should I start this? Should I just work on diet and wait on exercise sense foot hurts bad? And what about weighing myself should I not worry about my weight loss while in a cast?. Im 5'7" and about 268 lbs. 53yr old female just came back tonight so i will start my diary tomorrow. If anyone has any advise please help my knees hurt so bad.

Replies

• maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Start with your diet. Your cast is going to be immaterial, it weighs what it weighs and has nothing to do with anything. You'll "gain" x lbs when the cast is applied, and you'll "lose" x lbs when it comes off. Any weight you lose will also be helpful with surgical recovery, if that's necessary. Have you seen a physical therapist for your knee pain? Has the doctor or therapist given you any instruction regarding ice, heat, exercises, meds, etc. Are you following those instructions? Losing weight will probably help with your knee pain, but it's not a magic bullet. Good luck!
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Yes I just completed 16 visits of PT it helped some and yes I do the exercises. If it wasnt for my foot I could walk better since that helps the stiffness in my knees.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this has happened. Your recovery will not be easy.

If I were in your situation, I'd eat out of boredom. I'd emotionally eat, too--frustration, depression. Technically you can loose weight without the exercise. However, I suggest you address those two issues, too.

Boredom? Are you taking time off work? Reducing work hours? Even if I were working full time, I'd be bored during my off-time. Think about adding something to your day that is intellectual &/or occupies your hands. Handicrafts--sewing, knitting, whittling? Art--painting, adult coloring books, writing?, Research--take a class, join a Bible study, learn history, study a new technology?

Emotional eating? Consider joining a group that meets weekly, like weight watchers. Granted it's not free, but your situation may warrant a need for that emotional support.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    well said @GottaluvFood I'd eat out of depression and boredom too.
  • chulipa
    Options
    Ok good ideas I guess im just overwhelmed with everything last summer i could mow my grass, walk at the park and go shopping this summer cant do any of this
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    chulipa wrote: »
    Yes I just completed 16 visits of PT it helped some and yes I do the exercises. If it wasnt for my foot I could walk better since that helps the stiffness in my knees.

Then all you can do for right now is follow the program your doctor and PT outlined for you, and start looking at what you are eating. It sounds like last time, you lost a bunch of weight pretty quick. This time around, maybe think about being a little less restrictive with your diet and making changes you can sustain forever. A hobby if you don't already have one is a great idea, something you can do while you're forced to spend less time on your feet. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • chulipa
    Options
    Thank you
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    You might want to take a look at Lyle McDonald's latest booklet Optimal Nutrition for Injury Recovery, available through his website here https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/optimal-nutrition-injury-recovery
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would set your activity level to sedentary, watch your calorie intake and give your body time to heal.

There are some seated workouts on you tube for the morbidly obese, elderly or injured. You might be able to do some of that.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    chulipa wrote: »
    Should I just work on diet and wait on exercise sense foot hurts bad? And what about weighing myself should I not worry about my weight loss while in a cast?. Im 5'7" and about 268 lbs. 53yr old female just came back tonight so i will start my diary tomorrow. If anyone has any advise please help my knees hurt so bad.

I believe the answer to both of those questions is yes. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself further. Talk to your doctors about exercise and follow their advice. Weight loss is all about CICO, so eat at a deficit and you'll begin to lose the weight. As far as weight loss goes and weighing yourself, it's fine to do that, but keep in mind a cast is going to weigh a lot, so will splints, etc. So it's going to be tough to get an accurate weight, but you can actually judge your weight loss because the weight of those things (unless you get them wet) won't change. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight, so the weighing yourself isn't a necessity. It's more important to heal and follow your doctor's advice, you can deal with the weight loss 100% with your intake of calories for now. Just my .02.
  • chulipa
    Options
    Thanks for everyones replies
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just an idea....I often see patients who are in wheelchairs and wish to do some activity. There are sitting workouts available online. One of my favourites is sitting boxing, it can really get your heart rate going and activate your upper body muscles.

I absolutely agree with the sentiments above endorsing the rest your lower body needs and focusing both on diet and patience. But just thought I’d suggest this in case it is suitable for your situation.
  • chulipa
    Options
    Thanks
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would keep the calorie deficit small during the healing process. Normally at your starting weight, it would be OK to shoot for 2 lbs a week, but I wouldn't try for more than a pound a week while healing (and even that much only because you have so much weight to lose).