Four months Totally Insulin Free

Options
I've been on mfp for a while just getting around to checking out the community.
I started using mfp to keep track of my carbs. I had a massive heart attack over four years ago and through that was diagnosed with 4 shot a day diabetes. Doctors told me I would have to take them the rest of my life. So I just accepted it. I also severely damaged my spine at work and couldn't be very active anymore, so I became more and more overweight.
A few months ago I just got fed up with it all and decided to take my health into my own hands. I educated myself on nutrition and started eating right and walking as much as I could with my back problems.
Today I am almost 4 months totally insulin free and have lost 49 lbs. I'm walking 14k steps a day and feel better than I have in years.
My Dr. Is amazed. He actually made me take a urine test, thought I was taking some kind of weight loss drugs. Lol.
Told him it was all natural.
I hope I can inspire someone on here to do the same, and hoping to be inspired and motivated to keep pressing on. I give God all the credit.
God Bless

Replies

• c_lopez49
    c_lopez49 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Imagine that meds gone. Good for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Awesome! It's so fun to shock the docs!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    That is great! Congratulations! :):):)
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Excellent! Cutting carbs was one of the best things I ever did. When my carbs are up I don't lose weight and my appetite goes off the charts. As difficult as it can be to resist, the benefits are worth the effort for sure! Keep up the great work!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are! Take it on the road....just kidding. I hope your inner circle is in shock and awe too. Well done!
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Truly inspiring! Keep it up cuz whatever you are doing is clearly working.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Type 2 diabetic here, A1c down from 11 to 4.7. MFP is a wonderful tracking tool for diabetics!

What did you do? Exercise how much? Carbs how many?
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've been on mfp for a while just getting around to checking out the community.
    I started using mfp to keep track of my carbs. I had a massive heart attack over four years ago and through that was diagnosed with 4 shot a day diabetes. Doctors told me I would have to take them the rest of my life. So I just accepted it. I also severely damaged my spine at work and couldn't be very active anymore, so I became more and more overweight.
    A few months ago I just got fed up with it all and decided to take my health into my own hands. I educated myself on nutrition and started eating right and walking as much as I could with my back problems.
    Today I am almost 4 months totally insulin free and have lost 49 lbs. I'm walking 14k steps a day and feel better than I have in years.
    My Dr. Is amazed. He actually made me take a urine test, thought I was taking some kind of weight loss drugs. Lol.
    Told him it was all natural.
    I hope I can inspire someone on here to do the same, and hoping to be inspired and motivated to keep pressing on. I give God all the credit.
    God Bless

Thanks!!!
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Great story and awesome results, congratulations :)
  • itsaboutthattimeagain
    Options
    This is AWESOME!!! Congrats!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Type 2 diabetic here, A1c down from 11 to 4.7. MFP is a wonderful tracking tool for diabetics!

What did you do? Exercise how much? Carbs how many?

My big trick was what is called "eating to the meter." You need a blood glucose meter which has strips inexpensive enough that you aren't afraid to use it several times a day - I recommend the Bayer Contour Next, which has strips about 20 dollars per hundred on Amazon, and also tested as one of the most accurate. Then you test after every meal, and learn how many carbs of different foods you can handle, and modify your diet accordingly.

Tolerance for different foods is very individual, and when you eat and exercise has a huge impact as well, so there really is no substitute for testing. For example, I can eat tons of fruit without spikes, but a friend of mine has trouble with fruit, while I can't eat even one flour tortilla without a spike. The fruit and the tortilla are both quick acting carbs and the same number of net carbs, but they affect me very differently. Also, I can tolerate many more carbs the day after heavy lifting. And if I'm sick or stressed even slightly my tolerance goes way down.

When I first started I needed to test six or more times a day. Now I typically test two or three, one when I wake up to see how I'm doing in general, one after my first meal to see if there's anything up (for example if I have a cold coming on, I will notice it from my blood glucose before I feel sick), and then if I eat anything I haven't eaten before.

Here's the second part: you should be trying to eat foods that don't spike you over normal post prandial readings, which top out about 140. But when you miscalculate your diet and find your blood glucose is elevated after a meal, go and work out right then. Fifteen minutes of hard cycling will bring my blood down from a dangerous 170 to about 77. Eighty bodyweight squats done in sets of twenty will also bring it down - and you can do bodyweight squats in a bathroom stall if you have to, in just a few minutes, with no one knowing about it.

It also doesn't hurt that I am normal weight now, having lost 112 lbs.

I try to exercise at least fifteen minutes of intense exercise per day, by which I mean I am sweaty enough to need to change clothes afterwards. Or thirty minutes of moderate activity such as Zumba, or an hour of casual activity such as walking. I run three times a week and lift weights at least two times a week, with two days of "rest" which really means light exercise such as dancing or yoga.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!