Junk food at work

Options
I work for a veterinary hospital and our clients bring us food almost everyday. And it’s really good food too. How do you guys stay away from eating all the food at work? I have hard time saying no to free Pizza and cheesecake.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Either fit the pizza/cheesecake/whatever into your calories, or learn to say no.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Well, there's a couple approaches you could take.

1. Just say no. Tell yourself that it's not your food, maybe they sneezed on it, whatever it takes. The more you get used to saying "no", the easier it becomes. It can be as simple as "No thanks, I packed my own lunch today." You don't owe it to anyone to eat their food.

2. Eat it and log it as accurately as you can. Work it into your daily goal. That might mean having a smaller dinner or skipping breakfast to make it work.

For example: I knew today was "cake day" at work, so I skipped breakfast and only had a protein bar for lunch, so I could work it into my calorie goal. I still have 700 calories left for dinner after enjoying my piece of cheesecake!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Is it good, or is it junk? Not being snarky - demonizing and deeming highly available foods you love off limit makes you want them intensely. Can't you have some of it, within your calorie goal? Oh, and you CAN say no thanks if you don't want it.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I try to remind myself that people are trying to be thoughtful, but I really hate when people bring in food/candy/doughnuts and set them out. Like others said, all you can really do is "say no," but it's hard to be around food all day long and say no. I often can do it for a day or so, but if there is candy or something out by day 3 I just give in.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Either fit the pizza/cheesecake/whatever into your calories, or learn to say no.

That part
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My office constantly has pizza day and timbits or it's someone's birthday. If I know in advance I will plan my day around it or just say no. Usually I just say no because I'd rather eat more volume during the day but either way works. I am irritated by last minute changes so usually it's a no. My office has a small gym so when the pizza gets delivered I usually walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes so I'm not tempted to change the plan.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If it's a regular thing, then you know it'll always be there. You don't have to eat it every time. Plan 1 or 2 days a week where you can eat what they bring and work it into your daily allowance. Hit the gym in the morning or after work for an extra work out if you need to. Or, lighten up the rest of your eats for the day.

It's not worth it to eat something just because it's free if you don't actually want it though.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It’s not really free though, is it? There is a “calorie price” you have to pay when you eat it. If the food is truly delicious, and you can make it fit into your calories for the day, then enjoy. But I found, over time, that I was happier eating my full dinner later on vs having to skip it or subsist on only salad due to that “free” cheesecake or pizza or whatever it was.

I have to add - Toxikon makes a good point above about telling yourself that someone sneezed on it. I have worked at companies big and small; on a factory floor and in the executive offices. People in general are gross and regularly sneeze and cough near food that’s set out for everyone. Then there’s the people I have seen who touch and pick up every piece of food to see which one they want. Often after sneezing or coughing into their hand, or coming out of the bathroom.

If it’s home made, you have no idea how clean or dirty their kitchen is...whether or not they allow their cat to walk to n the counters, or let their dog lick their hands during the cooking or while they packed up the food. Especially applicable since you work in a veterinarian hospital- LOL.