Managing cravings - any tips?

Options
Good morning-I am new to the group - starting again to try and commit this time to a healthier and kinder way of eating for my body rather than my mind which takes me to high sugar/carb food to manage the stress!
Any tips from those who have managed to crack the balance so as not to have cravings sabotage your success?
Looking forward to learning from you all!!
THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I started eating regular meals, having a varied and balanced diet. Not demonizing foods, food groups and nutrients, but also not keeping trigger foods at home. Only eating what I like, and eating everything I like (but not everything at once and not all the time). Planning meals and schedule grocery shopping to avoid temptations and too many decisions. Exercise moderately (no planned exercise, just stop being so lazy). Eat for nutrition and pleasure, not to ease stress and emotions. Improve sleep pattern - and then accept that I will get occasional random cravings and just tolerate them; giving in to some (as long as my weight is on the low side) but not all.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I would pick a day to have my snack and also started buying them in single serving sizes.
  • JLively1020
    JLively1020 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "crack the balance" but a couple tricks i use: recording my meals in advance. For me, i find that i am less likely to deviate from a plan that's already been recorded. After that its pretty much anything that can help erase those cravings from thought - Exercise, yoga, a shower, a nap ect ect. All this of course is assuming i am trying to not consume any additional calories. If i do have room for more, then i love to snack on cashews and/or walnuts.

Happy hunting!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I know that, for me, starting with a substantial first meal of the day is important. For me, a retired couch potato who sleeps in until 10 or so, that's eggs scrambled with cheese and heavy cream for breakfast around noon. I follow that up with sweet fiber a couple hours later in the form of prunes and dried apples. If I eat these things early in my day, I am far less likely to want to snack after supper. I found this out through trial and error. It took me awhile to see that these work for me and I have to relearn it every once in awhile.

So, find what works for you. (And if it's eating morning Jelly Bell belly beans on your cereal, so be it.)
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have personally found that if Im super strict on my diet I tend to have intense cravings and when I give into them I feel like a failure. Life is so much more enjoyable when I work treats into my diet and it helps keep a more positive mindset about the whole process. I plan out my food every morning so when I have a craving Ill try to fit it into the next days plan or just see I have enough calories to play with so I can indulge and adjust my calories for the rest of the day. Im not going to sit down with a pint of ice cream and down it all in one sitting (yeah I used to!) But if I have a sweet tooth I will measure out 100cals of frozen yougart if I have room in my calorie budget and eat it with no regrets or guilt :)
  • o_chaisson19
    o_chaisson19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was so addicted to sugar it was ridiculous! I went plantbased and cravings gone!
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For me, the more carbs I eat the more I want to eat. So really it's just a matter of getting some lower carb/sugar foods in place where you can grab them when you need something in a stressful moment. I love carrots because they have a hint of sweet, apples, yogurt, trail mix, etc... are all good choices too. Sugar is truly like a drug for some people. I am in awe of people who can just take it or leave it, because when I get a little bit I find my self spinning out of control. Then it always takes me weeks or even months to get back on the wagon. A lot of people thumb their noses at the idea of a sugar addiction, but honestly anything that hits the pleasure center of the brain can turn into an addiction. Everything from crack-rock to lottery tickets.

All that aside you have to get into your mind when the urge hits and know that you have to dig your heels in and have something else. It gets easier, but you have to practice using your will power. The more you use it the stronger you become.