New and sceptical

Options
Hi all,

So decided to download app after watching YT fitness video, so first time for me. Completed first day of logging everything ive eaten and the calories came out quite low. Has anyone lost a good amount using MFP and how accurate is it? Any tips?

Thanks

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If it's day 1 for you, I'm guessing you aren't yet weighing solid food/measuring caloric liquids yet. Logging just isn't accurate without that, so there would be no way to know, except that it's just about always going to be an underestimate. Is your picture there current? How much are you trying to lose? Yes, it works to log, but only if you log accurately.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Mfp is as accurate as you make it.
    There are many people with various goals using mfp to achieve those goals (be it losing, maintaining or gaining weight) - if you check out some of the success stories you'll find many examples.

• jimidge
    jimidge Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im trying and have been trying to lose my middle for quite some time, set a goal of for the first time ever being able to see my abs. Been trying for a couple of years now and always stuggle when i get to around what i weigh now. Pic is current and trying to lose about 6-10 pounds. Thanks for the info, out come the scales i guess.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Its accurate but it's only a tool that allows you to visibly see your diet habits. If you follow the recommended micronutrients and caloric recommendations, then you will see positive results. The diet is only half of it, follow a good exercise and fitness regimen and you will definitely see drastic changes. Good luck and add me if you need tips and help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jimidge wrote: »
    Im trying and have been trying to lose my middle for quite some time, set a goal of for the first time ever being able to see my abs. Been trying for a couple of years now and always stuggle when i get to around what i weigh now. Pic is current and trying to lose about 6-10 pounds. Thanks for the info, out come the scales i guess.

you'll only want a deficit of 0.5lb per week, so you will need to be accurate with your logging. you definitely should be using a food scale to weigh everything.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also remember that MFP does not count calories from PURPOSEFUL exercise in their daily calculations - you are expected to eat back at least a portion of workout calories
  • bryerangel
    bryerangel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't use a scale measure yourself ! And yes it's very accurate.. I've lost 60 lbs B)