Starting Keto. Noob need advice from people who have been on it :)

Options
Hey! So I’m pretty much done with my weight loss journey but I was sick of the way I was feeling and eating so today I made the jump and just began Keto. I am looking for any and all advice from people who have been doing this for a while! I’m also worried about the Keto flu.. what can I take to prevent that? I am sticking to under 20g carbs a day when not exercising ( for medical reasons) and when I resume exercise I will allow myself 20-30 g before each workout. Look forward to hearing from all of you!! :)

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    To prevent/mitigate the keto flu, you'll want to increase your electrolytes and water intake. More sodium, magnesium and potassium. You can supplement with Magnesium citrate tablets. I find the cheapest way to get a good dose of potassium is with salt substitutes - I use Nu-Salt. You can mix sodium and potassium salt into a drink, or sprinkle it on your food. Bone broth also helps.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the electrolyte supplements! Would 0 calorie Gatorade work for potassium too? Since I heard I have to increase fluids now as well. Otherwise I might have to hit up a GNC
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Both Gatorade and Powerade Zero only have about 30mg potassium per serving. It's recommended you get at least 1000mg, so it'll be hard to do with just those beverages. Neither has magnesium either, I believe. You'll wanna get at least 300mg of magnesium.
  • Tetrelle
    Tetrelle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eat your veggies. Spinach, Cauliflower, etc. Stay within your net carbs, and try avocado with lite salt or like toxi said, nu-salt. You will be fine. :) Stay hydrated! Feel free at add me as a friend if you are looking for new friends!
  • CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There is a nice low carb forum in here, too. Sometimes people like to hate on LC in the general forum, so if you run into that, try finding the LC group.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    I love love the Keto way of eating! over all feeling of well being is amazing. Magnesium and Salt are your friends to help with the Keto Flu. I ate low card because I have celiac and didn't do gluten free substitute food before I started Keto. There are TONS of resources out there lists for grocery shopping and everything. Get rid of stuff you aren't going to eat. if its around you will be tempted the first week or two just out of habit. After that though its fairly smooth. if you like pickles that would help to. I found if I start getting a headache or feeling off I will sometimes drink a little pickle juice or eat a couple and it helps.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Options
    bgctrinity wrote: »
    Eat your veggies. Spinach, Cauliflower, etc. Stay within your net carbs, and try avocado with lite salt or like toxi said, nu-salt. You will be fine. :) Stay hydrated! Feel free at add me as a friend if you are looking for new friends!
    Guys where can I get nu salt or lite salt? What is the difference between these and regular salt?
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ok first off be CAREFUL supplementing potassium. You get more than you think you do in natural foods and in the US potassium isn't required on labels. Salt is your equilizer. As long as you keep that up the other is not needed as long as you don't become deficient.

You can get nu salt and lite salt at most any grocery store where the other salts are at. They just contain potassium. But like I said be careful as too much potassium can cause a whole host of issues. A google search will get you some good info on that. I just take salt, liberally salt my food and a magnesium supplement in the evening.

Continue to calorie count in maitenance. It's what makes the world go round! Good luck and enjoy!

***As always YMMV, I'm not giving medical advice and am not a doctor. Your experience will be unique to you as mine was to me.***
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Options
    Just wanted to say again thanks SO much to everyone!! I am getting supplements but will be taking them carefully. I just ordered a magnesium and potassium supplement off amazon... fingers crossed it gets here before the Keto Flu hits :D if anyone who is on Keto and is more experienced (basically everyone) wants to add me please do! Idk how but I will find a way to open my diary... I ate 49g carb yesterday ( a little over the 20-30 recommendation) but tested my Keto strips and I’m in Ketosis. I should mention I also ran for an hour.. so maybe that helped :) I’m going to try to stay to 25g a day from now on.. if I go a little higher I will work out for 40-55 min a day. Thanks so much <3
  • Meakus1
    Meakus1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As always alluded to.., salt salt salt and water. And lots of fat. Good luck dude