What is your winter workout?

Options
I love hiking outside but sometimes during winter not always feasible to do..what do you do during the winter months for exercise?

Replies

• magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love hiking as well. This year I am going to try snow shoeing.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Snuggling up on the couch and watching Netflix. :D

(AKA I'm a sedentary hibernating hermit in the winter). I'm always impressed with people who actually enjoy doing outside-things in the snow.

This. I just eat less to compensate. Winter and I do not get a long..
  • highwood1968
    highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Snuggling up on the couch and watching Netflix. :D

(AKA I'm a sedentary hibernating hermit in the winter). I'm always impressed with people who actually enjoy doing outside-things in the snow.

This. I just eat less to compensate. Winter and I do not get a long..

That is awesome if you can do that...I would tend to do the opposite and eat more LOL! I guess though each season has its advantages and disadvantages, summer sometimes it can be too hot and energy levels go down and winter the weather can wreck outdoor workouts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing I do in the summer (lifting in my basement) but more as I am usually trying to build muscle. I do less cardio though.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I continue going to my crossfit gym. Just wear a second layer that I can strip off if I get warm.

But I also live in South Texas. Our cold is 50 degrees.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight room 3x per week vs 2x per week during the riding season.

I still ride on nice weekend afternoons in the winter when I can...fortunately winters here are fairly mild for the most part so I can usually get out on a Saturday or a Sunday...if it's below 35* I'm out...December and January tend to be a lot of indoor stuff. During the week I'm usually on the indoor trainer a couple days per week due to it's way too cold at 5:30 AM and dark at night.

Other active winter activities include indoor climbing at the climbing gym and downhill skiing.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My routine is pretty much the same all year: walking on my treadmill while binge-watching Netflix, and strength training at home.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to learn to love my treadmill and Beachbody videos, after a summer of walking outside. I hate cold weather.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights, riding a bike indoors, shoveling snow if I'm lucky (we've been low on snow the past few years.)
  • highwood1968
    highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »
    I'm trying to learn to love my treadmill and Beachbody videos, after a summer of walking outside. I hate cold weather.

I hear you, I feel depressed that my days of hiking now are probably pretty limited. It is the type of exercise that I don't need to psych myself up to do, if that makes any sense.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The same as spring/summer months. I still run outside (will use treadmill only if conditions are completely not favorable). And I lift indoors year around.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Nordic skiing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got a treadmill, so it's typically 1.5 hour of treadmill a day (watching shows, too), plus walking the dog 2 miles (which I'm going to have to suck up and do even when it gets really cold).

Before that, I was going to the gym and did basically the same thing there. I mean, I'm going to watch TV anyway, so I might as well burn calories while I do it... That being said, 3 years ago I walked outside every single day, I even walked 12 miles in NYC one day when it was -30 degrees with windchills... just got to bundle up.

I do have dumbbells too for whenever I feel like using those.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    The same as my spring, summer, and fall workouts. I still run outside. If it's too dangerous ice-wise I'll resort to the dreadmill, but otherwise I'm outdoors. Also lifting and zumba classes at my gym.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I detest being in full sun so I'm the opposite, looking like more hiking and outdoor runs for me!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    More videos than outside stuff. There is a good mix of stuff on youtube you can access for free.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I love hiking outside but sometimes during winter not always feasible to do..what do you do during the winter months for exercise?

Continue power lifting...in bulk mode, which is so much more fun because who cares about abs in the winter

(Except I get surgery 11/15 so I'm basically ONLY gonna be able to focus on upper body because my foot will be out of commission for 6 weeks. My goal? Abs, and yoked shoulders/arms/back by my island get away on 1/13)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Winter isn't much different for me. I still walk every day and run 5-6 days a week. Since I usually do a spring marathon, I increase my running in late winter. I have a TM if the roads are icy or snowy, but mostly I just dress warmly and run outside. We do less hiking, unless we go south to Florida or Texas, because my husband doesn't like to hike on ice.