Minimum Calories per day

Options
Is there a general rule as to how many calories one "SHOULD" eat each day? I have my daily calorie minimum set on MFP to lose 1# per week with an activity level plugged in. What I don't want to do is go crazy and eat too little, which I am prone to do when setting goals like this. When I work out I plan on eating those calories. I don't want to lose a lot too fast. Slow and steady this time. So I am looking at the lowest calories (as a rule of thumb) that a man should not go under. I don't want my muscle getting eaten away in this process. Thank you.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    The number that MFP gives you already accounts for a deficit, so if you did no intentional exercise and ate to that number, you'd lose weight. Intentional exercise however will help you to maintain the muscle mass you have as well as give you a little bit of extra calories.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am 249 down from 350. Activity level is at sedentary with a goal weight of 175. Height is 5'9.5.. and my intake is at 1580 kcals a day with a goal of lossing two pounds a week. I plan on dropping that to 1.5 to 1 pound a week when I get around 225. My macros are 60% protein and then 20/20.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Minimum recommendation for a male is 1,500 calories...if you're sedentary. If you're not sedentary, it really wouldn't be appropriate.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I am 249 down from 350. Activity level is at sedentary with a goal weight of 175. Height is 5'9.5.. and my intake is at 1580 kcals a day with a goal of lossing two pounds a week. I plan on dropping that to 1.5 to 1 pound a week when I get around 225. My macros are 60% protein and then 20/20.

60% protein?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    1500 is the minimum but that is if you don't move all day.

You need to add on to it the calories you burn from walking around, exercising.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose "slow and steady", I don't see why the lowest calories you "should eat" are relevant?

Eat what MFP says to eat for 1 lb loss per week, eat back a portion of your exercise calories.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose "slow and steady", I don't see why the lowest calories you "should eat" are relevant?

Eat what MFP says to eat for 1 lb loss per week, eat back a portion of your exercise calories.

Agreed.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice already but I wanted to add that getting enough protein when eating at a deficit is protective of lean muscle mass. There's wide disagreement about exactly how much equals enough, but one rule is to aim for one gram per pound of lean mass. MFP's default macros usually don't hit this minimum when you are eating at a deficit.
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Losing 1# per week is a good choice for slow-and-steady weight loss. As others have mentioned, it can be helpful to try to stay close to the recommended number of calories each day. Going far under recommended amount can leave you feeling like you're starving or have no energy (and may lead to binging on Halloween candy). If you find yourself loosing weight too quickly or too slowly, you can always modify the amount of calories you budget for each day.
  • jasummers76
    Options

60% protein?

Yeah I am diabetic type two and carbs specially fruits spike my sugar..
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Do exactly what MFP says and see what happens.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hey, @donjtomasco, nice to see you back. How did the hip recovery go?

As everyone has said. Don't go for the minimum, do 1- 1.5 lbs a week. (1lbs if you have under 50lbs to lose) and eat those calories. Eat back exercise too. If you are not losing as expected check your logging, if that is on point, drop your exercise cals by 25%.

You are over 50, (if my memory is working today) so being stingy with your cals, especially protein, could be counter productive for muscle and bone retention and you should be extra conscious of retention as you have had hip replacements.

Cheers, h.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, great info in your comments. HI MIDDLEHAITCH! Hip replacement recovery went really well. Full recovery. PT was brutal as is should have been. Yes I am now 55, put on a few extra and am getting them back off now. I went from 213 January 1 to 193 on April 1, which was a little aggressive but I had to get in fighting shape for the family photos for my daughters wedding in April. Then sold our home, moved, and exercise took a back seat. Finally ready to get back at it starting at 203. Would like to get to 185 and see how that feels this time while also lifting (not big time lifting, just keep the muscles tone and maybe add some lifting).

Thank you all for your comments. My goal is up to 1# a week but not stressing this time. I know that feeling when you eat too little and have no energy, that sucks. Slow and steady this time.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Muscle preservation is a three-legged stool:
    1) sufficient protein
    2) small deficit
    3) resistance training (a.k.a., lifting heavy things)

You can make leg #1 as big as you want. If you don't have 2 and 3 covered, the stool tips over and you lose more muscle than is necessary.

{insert .gif of two-legged and one-legged stools}
  • jasummers76
    Options

1) sufficient protein
    2) small deficit

You can make leg #1 as big as you want. If you don't have 2 and 3 covered, the stool tips over and you lose more muscle than is necessary.

You are so right.. I just am doing walking at the moment. To be honest I don't have the self confidence to go into a gym. I do make extra trips up and down the stairs we have a three floor home. So it is something for now... I am really working on the eating aspect right now my diabetes meds are almost all gone from having to take several shots a day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

1) sufficient protein
    2) small deficit

You are so right.. I just am doing walking at the moment. To be honest I don't have the self confidence to go into a gym. I do make extra trips up and down the stairs we have a three floor home. So it is something for now... I am really working on the eating aspect right now my diabetes meds are almost all gone from having to take several shots a day.

My apologies. I realize I had you confused with the OP, whose initial concern was about muscle preservation. I read your earlier post as though it were the OP providing more information about his situation. Best of luck, and I hope you're not saying you're in a situation where you can't get any more of the meds you need.

Just a suggestion: If you're looking for feedback, advice, or even just encouragement, you might do better to start your own thread.