Puppies!!!!!

Options
naner
naner Posts: 110
hey Mfp friends!! My friend found some puppies on the side of the road and is trying to find them a home!! If you know anyone that wants a puppy or 2! LOL we need to find them a home or she will have to take them to a pound and they only give them five days to live!! I live in georgia! she is not sure what kind of puppies they are, but she said they are great with kids!!! PLease mail me if you or someone you know whats a puppy!!! thanks you for your time! they would be great for your walks :0):wink:

Replies

• naner
    Options
    hey Mfp friends!! My friend found some puppies on the side of the road and is trying to find them a home!! If you know anyone that wants a puppy or 2! LOL we need to find them a home or she will have to take them to a pound and they only give them five days to live!! I live in georgia! she is not sure what kind of puppies they are, but she said they are great with kids!!! PLease mail me if you or someone you know whats a puppy!!! thanks you for your time! they would be great for your walks :0):wink:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How weird is that? My daughter's friend found a box of them along side of the road on an INTERSTATE. We live in Indiana. Nice to know cruelty is spread all across the country (that was sarcasm in case you missed it, I HATE people who mistreat animals):explode:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Is there a Humane Society shelter around there? It is a no kill organization.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Is there a Humane Society shelter around there? It is a no kill organization.:flowerforyou:

Sort of.

First off, no-kill shelters usually have waiting list and can only take in the amount of animals they adopt out. Puppies are easy to adopt, so the waiting list shouldn't be that long - but don't expect to just drop them off.

Some, not all, Humane Societies are kill shelters (not that I fault them for this) and are run by the city or county. Most SPCA organizations are "no-kill", but different places have different meanings of "no-kill" - it gets complicated. Generally, if it's run by the government it's a kill facility (it has to be, they have more animals coming in then they can adopt out); if it's run by a non-profit, it's no-kill.

Also, if you give money to the ASPCA or Humane Society of the US (good for you!), it does not go to your local shelter. In all the cases I know about, shelters and rescues are run by separate organizations.

If you want to know more, just send me a line.

Good luck finding homes for the puppies!
  • Jessieb00
    Jessieb00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pics of the pups?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Crazy as this sounds... having them sit out side a popular store is usually a great way to get rid of them.
    Granted, you have no idea who you are giving them too....but if the goal is to get them a home.
    Also, putting up flyers in markets.

People like puppies when they are small so they sooner one acts the better.
  • beagle595
    Options
    * Contact Helping Paws... if your girlfriend doesn't live near Athens, maybe they can tell you a local no Kill shelter in her area. Good luck! Nice save...
    Helping Paws Rescue
    112 F Athens W. Pkway
    Athens, GA 30606
    (706) 227-7887
    kimmc@uga.edu
    http://www.pawtropolis.com
  • naner
    Options
    Not around here. she called the pound and they give dogs 5 days to be adopted! she thinks they are beagle/ basset hound mix? Im not sure yet. I will have pic's soon!!
  • naner
    Options
    * Contact Helping Paws... if your girlfriend doesn't live near Athens, maybe they can tell you a local no Kill shelter in her area. Good luck! Nice save...
    Helping Paws Rescue
    112 F Athens W. Pkway
    Athens, GA 30606
    (706) 227-7887
    kimmc@uga.edu
    http://www.pawtropolis.com

Thanks for the info!! We do live in Athens!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My dog is a beagle/basset mix and they are THE BEST dogs in the world! If i didnt live in an apartment i would love another pup...but with a cat and a dog already they would kick us out!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    If no luck with the local rescue organizations/shelters, take pictures of the pups and post ads on craigslist and backpage, as well as your local paper (online) if possible. Be sure to clearly state that they are "rescues" so you don't get flagged off craigslist. Always ask for at least a small adoption fee - this prevents predators who search for "free" pets to use as snake food, fighting dog bait, laboratory research subjects, and those selfish enough to try to turn around and sell their "free" adoptive pet for a big profit. And if you don't feel comfortable keeping the money, donate it to your local shelter/rescue group to help out the next litter of furry babies. For kittens, $25 is reasonable, for pups, $40-50. Charging a small fee could save their lives.

I needed to find homes for rescued kittens last year and craigslist worked really well - but having pictures makes all the difference!

Best of luck!!