Are you happy with where you are job/career wise at this time?

Options
highwood1968
highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
Me -not at all, I am pushing 50 and thought 5 or 10 years ago that I would be further along. My worst fear is that in five or 10 years I will still be in the same position, etc. I have perks in my job that are nice but love it, no way, it is boring and not what I want to be doing at all.

I long to be one of those people who loves their job!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm comfortable...I neither love, nor hate my job/career. I'm an accountant, so it is what it is pretty much anywhere I go. I've been employed where I am now for 7 years and in accounting for 13 years. I enjoy my current employer and as accounting goes, it's relatively laid back and I don't have to work a gazillion hours per week like I've done elsewhere. My family and my 5 & 7 year old kids are my primary focus at the moment, so being able to work normal hours and not travel is pretty up there in regards to work perks.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty happy. I'm good at my job and I generally really enjoy the people I work with. I'm not at the top of my game, but then, I've chosen a slower, less stressful path and I've been fortunate to have that flexibility. I've got nothing to complain about.
  • highwood1968
    highwood1968 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Some of the pros of my job are: supervisor off site, not being micromanaged at all; work very close to home, decent pay and benefits. Some cons are: share office space with someone that I barely talk to which makes it awkward at times; hate my job tasks (got moved into a different steam of work about 3 years ago); and my job is boring (like watch the clock all day kind of boring)
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am, I have no intentions of ever changing at this point...... It was hard work to get to where I am, took a few years of sacrificing a lot, and I do mean a lot. But at 52 I have the freedom most would kill for...
    Are you able to transfer jobs??? Go back to school or a training program?????
    Hope that it works out for you.............
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Well I’m at work right now, so no I’m not happy with where I am atm
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I work in education and technology. I get to be creative and artsy, and get to help faculty and students alike improve their lives in more ways than just learning stuff. I get challenged a lot and high a lot of personal satisfaction in what I have been able to accomplish. I get paid decent too.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I own my business so I'm pretty okay with it, though the boss is kind of a butt :tongue:
  • PamRoman61
    PamRoman61 Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    NO but then again I have hated every day for the last 23 years. Since I work with people and I am not stuck behind a desk all day, there are bright spots here and there but generally speaking I wish I could have known what I know now 24 years ago.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No, long story short. The people I work with are emotional bullies who constantly change the responsibilities of my employment daily to suit their mood. I often think of shifting focus but DH is adamantly against the cost of education.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Me -not at all, I am pushing 50 and thought 5 or 10 years ago that I would be further along. My worst fear is that in five or 10 years I will still be in the same position, etc. I have perks in my job that are nice but love it, no way, it is boring and not what I want to be doing at all.

I long to be one of those people who loves their job!

Right now, I have a super cushy job. But I strive to make a lot more. I work from home for a small business that sneaks around & refuses to offer benefits to their employees or give any sort of raise, or motivation to do better. I haven't gotten a raise for over a year-and-a-half and it really frustrates me. Yes, I work from home, but that doesn't mean that even after 4-years of employment I should just be taken advantage of. Many places where I live would pay $100K for the work I do and here I am making dog crap and busting my butt. Rant over!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't make enough to survive and I work with a whiny entitled millennial.
    I need a sugar daddy.
  • Jenrosa28
    Jenrosa28 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Nope, I’ve been trying to change careers and it’s been very discouraging!!
  • hargiebargie
    hargiebargie Posts: 382 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Very happy. Career I want. Job I want. Workplace I want. Culture I want. Physical location Very lucky. I do not take it for granted.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Oh. Don't get me started. Regret. I am 32 years in the Commercial Insurance biz. It has sucked the life out of me. I detest every moment of it but I have so much to lose. If I had it to do over again: I would have become a teacher or a starving artist making the world a lovelier place. Quite sure the stress gave me cancer 16 years ago. I have dummied up since then and when I leave this crap hole every day, I leave the crap here. UGHHHHH words from an old wise lady: Choose your path don't let the road take you.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    i’m technically retired so everything i do is for fun

I'm sorta retired too.

.... although I do know a handful of people who might disagree.