I'm smaller at 264 than at 250. Is that possible??

Options
I've been a fan of measurements for a long time. I have a log of them in my prior attempts at weight loss. Before I became pregnatn with my son I was 250 lbs, but my measurements were greater than at my weight now of 264 (some are substantial.. I'm 2 inches less in my waist now than then.) I've always measured the same way.... and I don't do a lot of weights so I don't know how it could be muscle. It's weird.. Is it possible?

Replies

• loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    yes it is. muscle weights more than fat. I have lost over 200lb but in the last three months- I lost one whole size but no actual weight.
  • paintingirish
    Options
    Yes! Muscle weighs more than fat. When I was on the track team I weighed 25-30 lbs more than I do now but I was TEEEEENY tiny compared to now. Great job! Measuring is always more accurate in my opinion because you lose wight to be healthier & smaller... not just to weigh less.
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Yes it is and noooooooooo...muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. However, a pound of muscle takes up considerably LESS space than a pound of fat. See the link below:

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html
  • lisa_73
    lisa_73 Posts: 43
    Options
    also, when you have a baby, your body changes. i know that where i hold my weight now is different than before i had kids.
  • mommyfor3boys
    mommyfor3boys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would say it's muscles since that weighs more. I have lost inches but not weight recently.. so it's kind of making me upset cause I dont see the scale going down as much as I want.. I feel it in my waist line.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    it has nothing to do with muscle 'weighs' more than fat because it doesnt....lol.....muscle weighs more than fat by volume so you can be the same weight or more or smaller and be different size because muscle is smaller than fat.
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Absolutely!

I am "smaller", as in lower clothing sizes & measurements, at my current weight (151) than I have been when I weighed significantly less. I am doing different exercises (more strength) and my nutrition is greatly improved. Some of it may be mindset, too. I am happier now than I was and may just be perceiving myself in a more friendly way.

Just anecdata, but a friend of mine (she's a certified trainer, master's in kinesiology & nutrition) told me she has been a size 12 at 135 pounds and a size 4 at the same weight, just different points in her life and different approaches to eating & exercise. (and maybe different clothes!)

I call it an NSV and congratulations!

Just a picky note: Muscle is generally more DENSE (by volume) than fat, which is why as people drop in body fat or go up in muscle mass they appear to be smaller even if they are "heavier". However, muscle mass is damn hard to acquire and many people incorrectly attribute gaining muscle for weight gain.
  • Gr8_body4life
    Options
    Just keep doing what your doing if you are losing inches, I had the same thing happen to me, then finally I started losing weight rapidly! When your losing inches and building muscle that scale isnt going to budge, but really for the long run that is a good thing! Why?.... Because Muscle burns more calories per day just by being muscle, so your metabolism is getting faster because you have more muscle burning those calories off just in daily activities!

Enjoy the journey!