Frustrated! Need help with eating out.

Options
2»

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my boyfriend on board. I flat out told him it doesn't help when you eat the crappiest thing on the menu because then I want to eat that as well, then all my hard work all week goes to crap. He used to shoot back with my body is different then your so I can eat this. But once I shot back with yea you may not gain any weight but think about what its doing to your heart and organs. He came on board with me a little bit and thought a little bit more about what he was ordering to help me and himself out.

Another approach is get what meal you want, but don't eat it all. Take it home and eat over a course of a few meals. A lot of meals are like 1500 calories by themselves and if you split them up into 3 or 4 meals that makes them less that 500 calories a meal.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think lots of people do this. Either it's the "getting my moneys worth" or just plain old temptation. It takes some time to be able to focus on getting your moneys worth in the mirror instead of on the plate.

As for temptation, that depends on what you order. Depending on the order you need to find what it is you're really craving and find a healthier alternative. For instance, if you are a steak person, chances are you're craving salt. Try the fish. If you're NEED to have the pasta dish, you're likely after the sweetness in the sauce, try a glazed chicken breast. Or if like me you just must have a steak, find a place that serves it as a salad. The few slices you get are not that high in calories and the salad fills you up.

The biggest issue is the starch that comes with everything. Like the baked potato or pasta. Remember though restaurants are a service industry. They will exchange or omit sides for you.

however, in my opinion it's really not about necessarily about NOT having what you want, but having reasonable portions of it. Most of us are just fine with three ounces of ice cream. Sadly we do HAVE to finish the whole bowl because it's there, and we wouldn't want to WASTE it, and it wont ship well to those starving children. It's better to put a little more decadence into eating out, and leave it on the plate.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've come to the realization that it was all about my thinking when it came to eating out. I now can choose the healthier options because I tell myself "this is not the last opportunity I'll get to eat out". Once you try the lower calorie options you may be pleasantly surprised. :happy: Kepp your chin up, it gets easier.

^this, definitely

Also, I check the menu on line and check the nutriitional values - add everything I plan on eating into my food log and if I have room for something more, I'm pleased to add something else... if not, I make the decision as to whether I go out to dinner or just stay home and eat something more nutritious for myself. You'll get there. Hang on.

Edited to add: Also, since you eat out often, it's not really a "treat" - so don't treat it that way. This is your meal. This is your fuel. This is your food... this is not a once in a while treat that you allow yourself. Think about that and see what happens to your choices.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Well i was going to say ......**rereads topic** oh THAT EATING OUT.....damn i had some helpful hints too :wink:
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Well i was going to say ......**rereads topic** oh THAT EATING OUT.....damn i had some helpful hints too :wink:

Bwahahaha. Oh how I love you girl! :laugh:
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

No worries, that's what got me here as well.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    False advertising! :grumble:
  • onefuzzy
    onefuzzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your ideas!

I think I need to have a sit down with the hubby. I have to explain to him how much this means to me. Eating out once a week would not only help my body but our wallet! I spent most of Sunday preparing meals for lunch this week. Which has worked out well. I need to take that and apply it to dinners.

After reading all of your posts one major thing stuck out- PLAN AHEAD and find some willpower!

Thank you and keep em coming!
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I complained of my problem with restaurant food calories, and received some good advice from barbiecat and some other successful losers on the Women 50+ page. She said order chicken fajitas, and then just eat the grilled meat and veggies. If it's a place where they automatically put out tortilla chips or bread, ask them not to, or make your husband keep it on the far side of the table to avoid mindless munching (a big problem of mine). Look up food choices before hand. If you want chips find out how many is a serving size and put that many on your plate or napkin. With careful planning you can have some of your favorite foods when you go out. Since you eat out a lot, you can have a little of something you want each time. And try asking for a to-go container right away, and put half your food in it right away and close it up. That way you can eat it later, or if it's the greasy, cheesy part of the meal, have your husband eat it. And finally, use moderation, not total denial. I could never stick with a plan where I could never ever eat the foods I love! Just one at a time, and not a whole, huge serving. This has helped me, and I hope it helps you too!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Get a menu online and decide what you are going to eat before you get there. When they bring the menu, don't look, just order.

If your husband doesn't mind, ask at that time that they don't bring a bread basket.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Your so cool!! I love it!

If your gonna eat out once a week, save some some calories for that. Thats what I do when I go out on wing night with the fellas. I make sure I have some in "reserve" all throughout the week for that one night. Plus some extra exercise will do the trick of offsetting some of the extra calories consumed. Good luck!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Here is my 4 step plan for eating out healthy style.

1. Look on line at the menu at home and make your healthy choice.

2. Print it or write it down to take with you.

3. When you get to the restaurant and they seat you tell them you do not need the menu that way they take it away. (Less temptation to change your choice because you do not have the menu to look at.)

4. Put the paper in front of you with your choice and order from that.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Honestly I try to keep the dinners out to once a week. It is just easier that way, and you can get what you really want instead of leaving there feeling unsatisfied.

Totally agree!