Why Do You Really Want to Lose Weight?

Options
This spoke to me.... I wanted to share to see if it reaches out to someone who feels the way that I do.

Why Do You Really Want to Lose Weight?

By carolyn_r on Aug 03, 2011 10:00 AM in Dieting & You

By Carolyn Richardson

Aside from lowering your risk for chronic disease, living longer, and being a good role model to your children, some have emotional and psychological reasons for wanting to lose weight. Without delving into those reasons, we may find ourselves unable to maintain our goal weight, or worst, lose the pounds only to repeat our old lifestyle because we’ve not yet addressed our past issues. I confess to having irrational thoughts as to why I wanted to lose weight leading up to my journey of losing 50 pounds. Some I thought were positive motivation for weight loss, but at second glance, may have hampered me from embracing life. Below are some common lies people give for wanting to lose weight, and the truth behind them.

:noway: The Lie: I’ll be more successful if I lose weight.
:bigsmile: The Truth: Your goals are tied to your belief that they will happen, not some number on a scale.

While many studies have come out that speak of the real discrimination that overweight men and women experience, many of us unreasonably blame our failures on our weight, and thus we’ve made it ok not to step forward confidently to achieve our purpose. Since childhood I’d visualized a skinnier me walking down the aisle. Leading up to my wedding day, I was fixated on my weight, and lost out on some of the happiness I’d found in getting married. Visualizations that disqualify your current self from experiencing certain milestones can be dangerous. You can be happy. Don’t punish yourself by sitting out of the spotlight. No matter what you weigh, you can achieve what you’re working towards. Pursue what you’ve set out to do with the same vigor you would if you loved the way you look.

:embarassed: The Lie: I’ll fit in better if I lose weight.
:blushing: The Truth: You only want to fit in when you’re at your ideal weight.

It feels good to hear all the well wishes that people spew out when they start to notice your weight loss, doesn’t it? Guess what, even at that feel-good time, you’re sticking out like a sore thumb. So why is it ok then, but when you’re overweight, and no one has much to say, you feel you don’t fit in? The answer lies in your self-talk. Allow yourself to acknowledge all the things that affect your ability to fit in, including your personality, experiences, social aptitude, and the people around you, and assess your ability to “fit in” as the complex thing that it is. At any given moment, you could fit in or not fit in. You’re not stuck in an abyss because of your weight. It’s about your daily environment, of which is consistently changing. There’s no scale to step on before you start a conversation. Go for it.

:yawn: The Lie: So and so will treat me better if I lose weight.
:flowerforyou: The Truth: The way someone treats you depends on respect and concern for your feelings, not your weight.

One of the biggest motivations many people have for losing weight is acceptance by a significant other, relative, or friend who they perceive will treat them better if they lose the pounds. Unfortunately, when the weight comes off, and the initial kudos go away, the pervasive negativity in that relationship will manifest itself in another way. Don’t allow yourself to be motivated to please others, if and when it forces you to sacrifice your feelings for theirs. If you truly want to lose weight to feel healthier, hike up a mountain, or play with your children more, do it. But if you think your husband’s going to treat you better solely based on a scale, chances are you may be disappointed.

Your thoughts…

What lies do you struggle with about why you want to lose weight? What is the truth behind them?

Replies

• kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I want to be a good example for my kids!
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options
    Beautiful article! Just what I needed. I will have to think about this. Thanks!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Beautiful article! Just what I needed. I will have to think about this. Thanks!

I agree. I need to think about this and figure it out.
  • ashkas2
    ashkas2 Posts: 32
    Options
    thanks so much for posting this. I needed to remember some truths.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight because a) I don't think fat is attractive, and I didn't like looking at myself in the mirror and seeing someone I thought looked fat. b) None of my rings fitted and I really love my jewellery. In fact, that was the thing that made me realise I had put on weight and determined to lose it. c) the rest of my family are thin and I didn't like being the fat one. d) Most of my friends run and I wanted to be able to go with them and not trail behind. d) I used to be very fit and attractive pre-children and it depressed me I didn't get a second glance from men any more.

Those are all the absolute truth.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The lie I told myself was that everyone should just love me at my size no matter what and I was happy with it. Well, while my husband and family still loved me, I was not happy with my body at all. In fact, I've always been too afraid to diet because I suffered from an eating disorder in high school. Now, 6 years later, it is still controlling me in a much different way. In those 6 years, I struggled and overcame the issues I had that caused my eating disorder. I made amends with my father, overcame my manic depressive behaviours, overcame severe social and general anxieties, and became a happier person (without the use of medication). During that stressful time, I ate...a lot. And I saw myself putting on the weight and told myself I was too scared to diet because I might relapse back to all of that.

But I am a much stronger person now. I just want the outside to reflect the inside and being able to wear clothes I like and know I'm living a fit and active lifestyle will show all of that work I did on myself mentally.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options

i guess the point of the article is ... losing weight won't really help with that right?

being skinny or at your idea weight is probably a tiny piece of you being a good example to your kids.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Because I want to go up to every person who has done me (or someone I care about) wrong and flaunt it.
    All the men who did me wrong I wanna make them want me.
    All the women who treated me like *kitten* I wanna make them go home at night and cry with envy.
    All the people who said I couldn't do it I wanna prove them wrong, very wrong.
    All the people who said I could do it I wanna show them they were right.
    I want to show my bf how difficult it really is to obtain the results that I get, so that he apprecitates a girl with a lil curve to her.
    No more huffing and puffing
    If you are fluffy you believe being skinny gives you all these powers of being able to get what you want, and have people respect you. I want to find out if that is really true or not. I will never believe what someone else tells me.
    I never want my girls growing up knowing what it's like to have to buy size 18 jeans and XXL shirts.

I know all this sounds conceited, I know I'm not the only one who has thought all this.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    My reasons are pretty simple. In no particular order:

* I want to feel healthier - I'm at an age now where things stop working as well as they used to, creak more, etc.
    * I want to prove to myself that I can be happy without beer and curry and generally being a bloke.
    * I don't particularly want to live longer, but I I want to enjoy what time I have to the full.
    * I don't want to have to squeeze into an airplane seat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've always liked to challenge myself, and this time it's to see how strong, fast, and fit I can be
    To teach my son something better than video games and couch jockeying
    fit sex is so much better
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Probably my main reason is I want to look good. I want to be able to go to the beach, take off my shirt, and feel like I look good.

I also want to be healthy and improve athletic performance, but that's honestly secondary; I'm already at a healthy weight.
  • ChanMay
    ChanMay Posts: 39
    Options

i guess the point of the article is ... losing weight won't really help with that right?

being skinny or at your idea weight is probably a tiny piece of you being a good example to your kids.

I agree with wanting to be a good role model for my children. I disagree that it is a tiny piece though. By eating healthy foods, making smarteer choices and being physically active, I am teaching my children to do the same. I am setting them up for a healthier happier life themselves, which is something I think is very important.
    My 8 year old daughter is now overweight because of choices I have made. I can see that she is unhappy, she does not participate in things because of the way she feels... this is greatly impacting her life. I am changing the way our family eats and exercises to create a better life for us all. It is not about being skinny, it is about feeling good, strong and being capable of doing the things you want to do :)
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    to fit in
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book "Women Food and God". It is basically an elongated, in-depth version of your post. And very thought-provoking :smile:
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    My reason is pretty simple and straight forward....vanity. That's it. I want to look smokin' hot. I love my kids but they have nothing to do with my desire to get to my goal weight. I want to be and stay healthy, but that's not what drives me to get up at 5:45 every morning to workout. My personal desire to rock a bikini is why I want to lose weight, it's all vanity.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    That's a thinker!!! And so very true, thanks for sharing!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My largest clothes are too tight right now and I'm too cheap to go shopping for bigger clothes. Not to mention that whole idea is just depressing.

Nice article.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My reason is pretty simple and straight forward....vanity. That's it. I want to look smokin' hot. I love my kids but they have nothing to do with my desire to get to my goal weight. I want to be and stay healthy, but that's not what drives me to get up at 5:45 every morning to workout. My personal desire to rock a bikini is why I want to lose weight, it's all vanity.

And rock on with your bad self!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. It was an interesting read!