Free time exercises

Options
Does anyone else do random excercises in their spare time?
I do squats or pushups against the counter while I wait for food to cook or lunges walking from one room to another. And random bodyweight or dumbell exercises while I watch tv.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I'll go for a walk or pace.

I have training plans in place for fitness. But walking is a great way to burn off some energy and clear the head.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    That's great you are increasing your NEAT by adding various additional movements to your day.

I don't add any additional stuff like this after I have worked out for the day (which is 6 days a week). I will purposely get up and walk around during the day though as my move alert on my tracker will tell me if I have been sitting or recognizes no movement in an hour.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I foam roll while watching TV.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do more of this.

I've started doing wall sits while I brush my teeth
    Balance on one foot whenever I'm waiting in line (with my 'up' foot just barely off the floor so I don't look odd). This helps with balance and support muscles.
    Run up stairs instead of walk up
    Iso crunches while I drive

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    One thing is I pace while I'm filling my gas tank. Otherwise it feels like wasted time. Takes maybe five minutes, most pumps can be set so you don't have to hold them, I'm not going to accomplish anything meaningful in that time, might as well walk.

Add that together with parking at the far end of the lot when I use my car, and it might add up to an extra 100 calories a day.

That's the amazing thing: you don't have to go out and run a marathon, all the little things add up.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    e_falagan wrote: »
    Does anyone else do random excercises in their spare time?
    I do squats or pushups against the counter while I wait for food to cook or lunges walking from one room to another. And random bodyweight or dumbell exercises while I watch tv.

ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I go to the gym 2-3 times per day or whip out my at-home stuff just because I'm bored. I hate sitting for extended periods of time, so it's nice to do band work or ab work to switch it up. I also take 10-15 minutes per day to stretch.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    I climb stairs on morning and afternoon breaks from work.

I walk the long way around to the toilet ... that's 200 metres. Do that 5 times a day and all of a sudden you've walked 1 kilometre!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I do while brushing my teeth or waiting for something to finish cooking. Leg lifts or squats usually. I'll do wall pushups while waiting for my husband to get ready to go out.
  • ca1v1n
    ca1v1n Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Random pushups while heating up something in microwave or just sometimes stop in the hallway and do a quick 10 just because.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    I've also got a small set of weights in the bathroom. Our bathroom is huge so lots of room to move, and it has a nice big mirror. Sometimes, if I've got a few extra minutes in the morning, I'll do a few weights. Or when I come in after a walk or something in the evening.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I walk up and down train platforms. Which is fair exercise given the amount of stuff I lug up and down the country! I also wander around my flat when I'm on the phone, brushing my teeth etc or do some leg stretches.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do calf raises while I'm waiting for someone or for my gas tank to fill up. I also do pushups at home while cooking. Glad that I'm not alone!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've also got a small set of weights in the bathroom. Our bathroom is huge so lots of room to move, and it has a nice big mirror. Sometimes, if I've got a few extra minutes in the morning, I'll do a few weights. Or when I come in after a walk or something in the evening.

That's brilliant! I could some upper body work while...ah...taking care of business.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cut some onions, wash your hands, drop and do 10, get up and wash your hands again, chop celery, wash hands again, drop and do 10, wash hands again...how many calories does all that hand washing burn?
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'll do squatting if I'm cooking, sometimes if I'm watching TV I'll pull out my free weights and work my arms for a bit. For some reason I can't stand to watch TV while being still.