Is a "water cleanse" healthy?

Options
Okay I think it's a load of bull poopies. But I watched this guy on YouTube and he was talking about how amazing it was for him, from having a chub belly to being smaller and stuff. And that it "cleanses" your body. Is that true that it like helps your organs and stuff? I don't know how people don't overeat afterwards. I know I would.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I looked up water cleanse on Youtube -- WTF? These people are eating nothing and just drinking water for a week (or in one case 28 days) and they find this surprising?? Cleansing has nothing to do with it - it's starvation, plain and simple. At least the idiot who did a 28 day "cleanse" has a warning on his video's page.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't know what water cleanse is, but it sounds like a good way to get an electrolyte deficiency just going off of the name.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not a good plan and you already know it won't work for you because you said you'd overeat after so why even consider it?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Last thing I watched on YouTube was two angry camels in a tiny car - which probably made just as much sense as someone doing a water fast but far more funny.

Those camels sure didn’t want to be in that car! 19 seconds well spent.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There is no quick fix to avoid a lifetime of obesity.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Um, I had to do a “water cleanse” of a sort for colonoscopy prep. :D
    The second I was done I wolfed down 3 McDonald’s cheeseburgers as fast as I could shove them in my mouth! Pretty sure I didn’t chew. I know it’s not the same but a day of just clear liquid was enough to make me insane!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i mean, this is why we have....kidneys.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have done a water fast for spiritual/religious reasons...we didn't call it a cleanse...and it sucks.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's unhealthy, but that would depend on duration and frequency...water fasts are fairly common among many religions and practices...but yeah, it sucks.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have done a water fast for spiritual/religious reasons...we didn't call it a cleanse...and it sucks.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's unhealthy, but that would depend on duration and frequency...water fasts are fairly common among many religions and practices...but yeah, it sucks.

I've done 24 hour fasts a few times in the past. Generally they didn't affect me too much - obviously I was hungry, but I could go about normal things. And because it was partly about self control then binging afterwards would defeat the point, so I didn't do that... I've not tried it since I've been running, not sure I'd like to do it on a day I ran or had really intense days. Have been thinking about doing it again - maybe once a month - just to prove to myself that I can!

Do what works for you, but don't fool yourself into thinking a "cleanse" is better than something not called a cleanse. Words don't change what the thing is.
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dang it. Why did I go look at those camels? My 9 and 5 year old boys are laughing uncontrollably!