Low carb and low fat foods

Options
Hey! So I'm on a lower carb diet for medical reasons and right now at working with 20% carbs 45% protein and 35% fat. On 1700 calories that works out to 66g of fat. The problem I'm having is a lot of the foods I'm finding that have high protein tend to come with a good amount of fats like nuts. I'm constantly going over on my fats and not hitting my protiens. Besides just eating a whole lot of chicken, are there any foods that have low carb low fat high protein?

I'm also open to advice on my fat to protein ratio. I'm not against fat this is just the ratios I've researched and found. I'm working towards lowering my carb intake this is just a starting point. Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Why are you also doing low fat? Low carb diets are usually high fat. My understanding is your body wants to get the energy it needs either from carbs or fat, not protein. 45% protein is super high, I couldn't even begin to figure out how to do that.

Having said that, I would think turkey or chicken breast and low fat fish like canned tuna would qualify as high protein, low carb and fat. Or protein shakes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'd set protein based on weight -- .8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight is plenty. That's almost surely way less than 45% of your total calories. Then you can fill the rest in with fat. Usually low carb goes along with high-ish fat, because you fuel activity with carbs and fat. Protein maintains and builds and repairs muscle, which is important, but after a certain point you don't need more. (Some find larger amounts extra satiating, but that's not helpful if you are struggling to find foods that fit.)

That said, nuts aren't a great protein source -- they have some protein, but are more of a fat source.

To up protein with less fat, options other than chicken include: low fat dairy (but kind of high in carbs -- cottage cheese isn't too bad, though), any other lean meat, especially fish and other seafood (shrimp, for example), but also pork chops, lean beef, turkey, so on, and tofu or tempeh.
  • Dreamtime407
    Dreamtime407 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Protein shakes-watch milk it add carbs. Use coconut milk. Unsweetened nut milk or water to mix with.
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Serloin
    Round steak I believe

I am low carb and low fat too-due to pancreas trouble. I wish I could increase fats.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Any lean cut of meat, white fish and tinned tuna, low fat Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, egg whites, protein powder. Plenty low fat protein sources.

But as mentioned, why low fat, it's going to be hard to get enough calories being both low carb and low fat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm not against fat this is just the ratios I've researched and found.

Where? Were you on a body building site? 45% is an insane amount of protein. Most people go for .5-.8 g protein /lb of weight for a goal on a high protein diet.
  • Indyzgirl
    Indyzgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good thread. Thank you. Im trying this also
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    raesac wrote: »
    @leggup I have insulin resistance from pcos. This is the article I referenced http://www.pcosnutrition.com/proteincarbratio/ . It was one study and I might have jumped the gun. When I looked I was just trying to find any ratios to follow. I'm glad I posted here because this is all very helpful.

To all that have suggested the .8/lb of healthy body weight I tried that today and that seems to be making more sense. It was a much more realistic number and I hit that goal pretty easily with the addition of a protein shake this morning. Thanks for the input. I'm new to macros and hadn't seen this rule which is shame on me honestly.

And thanks to all giving me food suggestions! They are still super helpful

With PCOS and IR, the bigger concern is keeping carbs under control (generally sub 140g - some have to go lower). You want adequate protein, not high protein as fats and carbs are good energy sources. So generally when you go low carb, you need high fat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    raesac wrote: »
    @leggup I have insulin resistance from pcos. This is the article I referenced http://www.pcosnutrition.com/proteincarbratio/ . It was one study and I might have jumped the gun. When I looked I was just trying to find any ratios to follow. I'm glad I posted here because this is all very helpful.

To all that have suggested the .8/lb of healthy body weight I tried that today and that seems to be making more sense. It was a much more realistic number and I hit that goal pretty easily with the addition of a protein shake this morning. Thanks for the input. I'm new to macros and hadn't seen this rule which is shame on me honestly.

And thanks to all giving me food suggestions! They are still super helpful

Hey no shame. You don't know what you don't know until you do. And sometimes it's just fine to find out from someone else!