question about water

Options
Does juice or coffee count toward water consumption? I do count crystal light, but wasn't sure about anything else. Also, I have a very hard time drinking enough water. I usually drink coffee or juice for breakfast and about 3-4 cups of water or crystal light throughout the day, that's it. Drinking fills me up so I if I drink alot, I won't be able to eat my daily calories. Any suggestions??

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the juice, but coffee is actually a diuretic so it would take water away. I used to have a hard time drinking enough of anything, but especially water...so I carry around a 32 oz water bottle with flavoring in it and drink on it. If you're having trouble drinking enough water, try eating lots of fruits and veggies with water content
  • terood711
    Options
    my doctor said no, i am not sure why but the last time i asked she said no water counts as water ??? hope this helps
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i only add Crystal light (and fruit2o) but nothing else...

As to it filling u up... i dunno how to help you there. Umm, perhaps limit the time you drink it? so back off a bit when its a meal time so u're not as stuffed?
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    There are some real water zealots here (that's okay I'm an anti-sugar zealot)

I went to a nutritionist years ago she said 1 8oz glass of water for every 25lbs of body weight is fine. You needs depend on your body.

She also said that coffee and tea DO NOT dehydrate you, they just hydrate you less effectively than water.

I read an interesting article on this I'll see if I can find it and add the link here later.

Found it... www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Count the juice but not the coffee. Caffeine is a diuretic and depletes your body of fluid. Some say you should add an extra glass of water fore very cup of coffee or cola you drink. Keep trying to up your water. Our bodies need it - it makes everything work better, makes our skin prettier, helps weight loss, water is life!
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    what about decaf homebrewed iced tea?? will that count towards water intake??
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    In the olden days WW used to say that you could count other beverages toward your water, but only for half. So half had to be just plain ol' water. Don't know what the current things is.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Here an article I saw yesterday on learning to love water ... thought it a pretty good read:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Love-the-Taste-of-Water

As for me, I just count water. :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the juice, but coffee is actually a diuretic so it would take water away.
    ^^ NOPE^^ See article below (and quote below)

www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm
    Researchers have conducted controlled human studies to examine how caffeine affects hydration under a variety of conditions. Under normal, “everyday” circumstances, caffeine does not cause more fluid to be lost from the body than the caffeinated beverage itself provides (7,8). Caffeine may cause a bit more fluid to be excreted (as urine) in the short term (24 hour period) when compared to plain water, but this effect is mild and is not documented to affect hydration status (7).
    try eating lots of fruits and veggies with water content
    ^^ YEP ^^ nutritionist I went to says the water content in food counts
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.!
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Yes it does count it's a diretic if you drink loads of coffee or tea 1-2 cups a day still count, remember you also get water from what you eat
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Here an article I saw yesterday on learning to love water ... thought it a pretty good read:

Just read this....very interesting! Thanks for posting.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    ....She also said that coffee and tea DO NOT dehydrate you, they just hydrate you less effectively than water.

ahh, thank you for that! some people were on me about my morning cup o' jo while being on my healthy trip
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options

great article