Nutrition is overwhelming, where do I start?

Options
Hi I am new to the community! I am so overwhelmed on nutrition, where to start. Being able to enjoy the things I love while being healthy and losing weight! Where do I begin? Any information is greatly appericated:)

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I would start by reading all of the pinned posts at the top of most message boards, especially this one, which contains links to a lot of good information...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For weight management, calories in/out is what counts.

To be able stick to an appropriate amount of calories, good nutrition is necessary for alomost everybody (we all need decent nutrition, but people are more or less resilient to less than optimal nutrition).

Good nutrition is easy to get if you base your intake on foods from all the food groups every day. A good diet is balanced and varied.

A good relationshp with food is not just a good diet, it's also a relaxed attitude towards food and eating. You can eat anything you want in moderation.
  • TcaitlinO
    TcaitlinO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Meg, welcome!

There's definitely a lot of different ways you could go about improving your nutrition. I'd encourage you to start basic and after you master that, consider adding on different things people use. The basic steps are to learn to count calories and focus on expending more calories through movement and exercise than you take in through food. There are 3,500 calories in a pound, so for every pound you want to lose, you need to burn 3,500 more calories than you eat during that period of time.

I found when I was starting that a digital food scale was super useful. You can easily count and track a serving size of goldfish crackers, for example, but it's harder to estimate how many ounces or grams of mashed potatoes or porkchop you're eating. My scale helped me be accurate with the food diary, which is super important to get that calorie deficit you need.

I also really like my fitbit watch - having some sort of movement tracker gives you a better idea of how many calories per day you expend. My fitbit tells me, for example, that I routinely expend 3000 calories a day with my normal routine, but on active days, I'm burning 4000 calories. That helps me adjust how much I should eat to lose weight.

The first thing to really focus in on, in my opinion, is the measuring calories and counting food and exercise accurately. After that, people will talk about macros, carbs, keto, intermittent fasting, all sorts of different techniques. Those may or may not work for you, but they can't work unless you've got the calorie vs. expended energy balance flowing the right way.

I will add that for me, the way I managed to get my cravings for snacks (one of my biggest issues) under control was to enact a bit of intermittent fasting. I only eat from 10am - 6pm. It's harder to over-eat if you're limiting yourself to a window of time, and there's some evidence that it might help with metabolism and longevity, but who knows. After a couple weeks of it, my body just adjusted and I don't feel hungry when I'm fasting. I also minimize breakfast (2 boiled eggs and a fruit), and try to keep my lunch to something raw (vegetables & fruit) so that I have the freedom to eat more at dinner. That works for me personally. I'm busy at work during the day anyway, and at home I want to sit down with my family and eat a somewhat normal meal. I will often still skip the bread, but that's because I'd prefer to drink my carbs with dinner :-)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, focus on Calories. Meaning, how many calories do you consume a day. Track that. And, tracking food is not as easy as you would think. Generally speaking.

I say that based on the number of people who track incorrectly. What that means is that they disregard portion size, they weigh things incorrectly, the leave things out. Generally speaking.

So, a way that I have found that works well is to start logging everything that you eat. It is a bit tedious at first. But it gets a lot easier pretty quickly. Work on that for two or three weeks. Then, once things are kinda in motion, take a step back and critically analyze how you do things! I promise you that the odds are pretty good that you are doing a good job up to that point, but not a great job. Thus, the 'take a step back and look' concept.

Once you get things in a very good position, start worrying about how the calories are made up. Meaning, take a look at your macros (protein, carbs, fats). And, please do not forget about Dietary Fiber. So, if you are eating 1,875 Calories a day, how is that broken down? So, and totally making these numbers up, turns out you are eating 135g Protein, 200g Carbs and 60g Fats! Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Depends on your goals.

At this point all you are doing is (A) tracking and (B) practicing tracking and (C) learning about your nutritional habits at the moment. So, simply log the foods that you are eating RIGHT NOW.

You need to know what you are doing (read: what you are eating, in terms of total caloric intake, types of foods and breakdown of caloric intake) before you can be in a position to possibly change things.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    And, to finish that thought.....what are your goals? Seems like you want to loose weight? Do you train? Meaning, to you lift weights? Are you active? What type of foods do you like? Do you have any medical conditions (not asking for an answer......just pointing out that you need to take that into account IF there is something there)?

The key to success - for most people, anyway - is to do something that you can sustain. If you want to loose weight and someone tells you that you have to eat chicken, sweet potato and drink lemon water but you can't stand chicken, don't really like the texture of sweet potato and prefer to drink lemon aide then the likelihood of you being successful is really not all that great! You are setting yourself up for failure.

Calories are king. If you want to loose weight, then you need to ensure that caloric output exceeds caloric input. But a smaller margin is better than a bigger margin. Depending on your stats, there are certain 'rules' (and I use that word very loosely here) to follow.....just keeping in mind that this is a long term thing and that the human body needs a certain amount of energy (read: calories) to do all of the things that it just does.....

Does that help you?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think Michael Pollan said it best: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

This is a good guide I think: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

Most people know what a good nutritious meal is. If you mostly eat good nutritious meals and leave a little room for maybe-not-so-nutritious treats without overeating, you'll be golden.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    Nutrition is very easy.
    Wanna lose weight, eat less calories than you burn (In a nutshell)

Worried about nutrition, turn your meals into rainbows and get as many colors as you can and eat whole foods.
    Drop all of the processed crap.

Count your calories using the counter until you learn your groove and portion sizes.

DONE - Nutrition in a nutshell.

That's actually not nutrition at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think Michael Pollan said it best: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

This is a good guide I think: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

Most people know what a good nutritious meal is. If you mostly eat good nutritious meals and leave a little room for maybe-not-so-nutritious treats without overeating, you'll be golden.

I will second all of this.

OP, I'd just make it simple to start. Watch calories, log, look at your logs and see where you can make some healthy changes to maybe add more vegetables or cut back on some less nutritious foods (not cut out, but back on), or where you might be eating in an unplanned way or way where you don't appreciate the calories enough for them to be worth it.

Some people find all the numbers you can track with MFP helpful and motivating, and some find them overwhelming. I found it easiest to focus on calories and protein and -- separately -- to make sure I was eating lots of vegetables and mostly nutrient dense foods but to save some room within my calories for those foods I really love and want to include in my diet (occasional ice cream, cheese, restaurants out once a week were my biggies). So many people have this idea of what "diet" food is or too narrow an idea of what eating healthy is, and really that's a shame, it's not that hard!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Meg_star wrote: »
    Hi I am new to the community! I am so overwhelmed on nutrition, where to start. Being able to enjoy the things I love while being healthy and losing weight! Where do I begin? Any information is greatly appericated:)

I started out just focusing on calories and logging. Then I looked back at the days I hit my goal and felt good - what did they have in common? Also looked at days I struggled or over-ate - what did they have in common? For me I needed more protein and fiber, but everyone's different, you'll find what works for you!

As far as general nutrition, eating a wide variety of foods is a good place to start. I chose to focus on more veggies, fruits, and beans because they were sorely lacking in my diet. Just pick one small thing, make that a habit, and then move onto a new thing. Good luck!
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    To lose weight all you need to do is stay in a calorie deficit (eat less than you burn through metabolism, daily activity, and exercise), which is why you will log all your calories consumed by weighing/measuring everything...guessing doesn't work well at all. To figure out what that "magic" number of calories is for your size/age, enter your statistics into MFP, choose your typical activity level (be conservative....you will add in exercise daily), number of pounds per week to lose...average is 1 lb. (500 calorie deficit per day). Let MFP calculate your daily calories and try to stay at or below that number. If you exercise you can add those calories back through your exercise diary and eat about half of those (be careful because it is easy to overestimate exercise calories and I understand that MFP is not that accurate with their database). Leave the macro settings (carbs/fats/protein) at the defaults to start (you can modify later if you feel you need to). Start choosing foods that you like and are a mixture of the 5 food groups...meat/poultry/fish for protein & fat; vegetables for low carbs/low calorie; fruits for fairly low carbs/low calorie; whole grains for carbs & fiber; some potato/roots OK; dairy for fats & protein; beans good for carb & protein & fiber; nuts & seeds for fat, protein, fiber. I try to make sure I get 2-3 or more at each meal and if one meal is high in say carbs the next I'll make sure to eat extra protein. Do some %RDA searches for more info on food groups. If you eat balanced meals then the micronutrients (vitamins & minerals) should take care of themselves, but keep an eye on the reports especially in the beginning. General rules of nutrition in most diets are to try to lower your added sugar intake, watch sodium (salt) levels, eat less white starch like flour (whole grains are better), eat less processed foods, less take-out, more whole foods. Be sure you get plenty of protein, but don't worry too much about carbs and fats until you decide on what balance is good for you. Remember foods higher in fats (like fried foods) are higher in calories so concentrate on eating good fats like in fish, avocados, & nuts (good fats vrs. bad fats is a topic of its own). Good luck.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    MFP is based primarily around counting calories. I found in the beginning to mostly focus on that.

Unhealthy food will pretty much reveal itself as problematic because it will quickly burn through your calorie allotment.

When you figure out which foods don't work in your diet very well, then you figure out the foods that do. Most of the time, these will be healthier foods.

When you figure out which foods work well in your diet, then fine tune it. You can get reports on the various "macros" in your diet such as Vitamin A, fiber, and iron. You can see patterns, such as you need more protein. Then you figure out what foods are full of protein.

It's just that easy, and just that hard. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Start with what matters most -- calories. Be sure to get enough! But not too many, obviously. Practice your logging to become reasonably accurate. Not everyone does this, but the data can be very useful as you fine tune.

Then, don't change anything, but start making observations about macronutrients -- fats, carbohydrates & protein. Notice what makes you feel full, gives you energy, and you truly enjoy eating for a given calorie goal. Eat more of those things. Eat less of what seems to give you less bang for the calorie. Eventually, you will discover the macro balance that works best for you.

After that, you can start experimenting with things that matter less, like micronutrients, meal timing, etc, but those things are minor tweaks.

Don't try to tackle it all at once. Treat it like an science experiment where you have to isolate a few variables at a time, make careful observations, and give it enough time to yield meaningful results. And get enough sleep. Believe it or not, sleep makes a huge difference to the hormones controlling hunger, satiety and the urge to eat. Good luck!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    How many calories you eat is what matters for weight gain or loss. Beyond that, learning how to maintain a healthy diet is a good for your short- and long-term health. So, just by asking the question you are on the right track.

My favorite go to for nutrition information is Harvard's "Nutritionsource." It's a site that has lots of good information, frequently updated, designed for consumers. You can start with their version of the Healthy Eating Plate and then read individual pages as you want to for information about specific things like fats, carbohydrates, sodium, etc. The articles are constantly updated as the state of the scientific evidence changes.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

HEPJan2015.jpg
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than your body burns to lose weight.
    I am eating all of the foods I love, just in smaller portion sizes,
  • Meg_star
    Meg_star Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who comment on this, and spent time to give me so much information! It helps a ton!! :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I focus mainly on protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls. For me, most days, that means right about where I should be on carbs (sometimes somewhat over) and somewhere between 60-75% of fat.

For the most part, I eat healthy-ish. I've cut back on high calorie treats and indulgences, but I haven't cut them out. I eat some processed foods, but I also cook from scratch. I limit homemade desserts to 200 calories per serving, but don't go beyond that. (Example: this week, I made strawberry sorbet. It's strawberries, lemon juice, sugar and water. I don't go looking to reduce the sugar content or switch it out for Splenda or honey-maple syrup-molasses-insert alternate sweetener du jour. All that concerns me is that the sorbet comes in at around 115-120 calories to the serving and doesn't taste 'dietetic'.)

I kind of operate on the principle that the healthy ingredients in my sandwiches and wraps don't dissolve if I use white bread to hold them together. And at another meal, I'll have whole grains instead. It all balances.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    See a nutritionist some health plans have them available.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    See a nutritionist some health plans have them available.

A registered dietitian would be a better option than a nutritionist