Weight Watchers Online

Options
So I am trying to figure out if points or calories are better? The notion that all calories are equal when counting seems outdated. WW's points system counts points based on fat, fiber, sugar, sodium. That seems better. Any thoughts?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW so I can't speak to that, but calories are straightforward and you can mix them and match them as needed and wanted. The WW points system is punitive and easy to game. There's no such thing as a "free food." There is far more certainty in understanding your calorie goal as a deficit to lose weight, and how to measurably meet that goal. If you move more, you eat more.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers keeps changing their formula for calculating points (another change coming in December). It's currently measuring calories, saturated fat, sugar, and protein. Who knows what's next. For me, it gets tiresome keeping up with the changes. I did have great success on an older program, but not so much with Smart Points. I have since learned that counting calories while keeping an eye on my macros works much better for me. And it's free.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I recently signed up for WW online just to see the difference. I want to be able to eat my normal, favorite foods in smaller portions and lose some weight. If I do this using WW, sometimes I can use up all my daily points in one meal. If I eat these same foods while counting calories on MFP I am still left with 500 or more calories in my allowance. They want you to eat what they consider healthy food all the time. For me, that is not realistic, I can't stick to that for long.

A good example is I like to have 3 cups of coffee in the morning with my international delight vanilla creamer. Which is about 150 calories. Using WW I am given 30 points for the day and this amount of creamer costs me 9 points! 10% of my calories costs me 1/3 of my daily points. This just doesn't work for me, I am not giving up my coffee the way I like it lol. I'm sure it works for some people if you can be satisfied eating protein and veggies for every meal. But sometimes I want some potatoes and cheese! Just my opinion. They have changed their points system since the last time I tried it and not for the better.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I lost and maintained over 60 lbs on the older WW point system when a point used to have a caloric correlation. A point used to be x calories (depending on the formula being used that year). Now a point is used more for a good/ bad judgement system. A 3 oz chicken breast and a teaspoon of butter have 1 point each. The butter is less caloric but considered "bad" and more points for less because it has saturated fat. Fruit in any amount is always zero points, but a slice of cake can be your whole days worth of points because of the added sugar. I've had zero point fruit salads that came up to 300 plus calories.
  • Skyler_mama
    Skyler_mama Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been with WW for a long long time and since I AM ELIMINATING AND ABSTAINING FOREVER From Sugar,
    Flour and Wheat
    the sugar (including artificial sweeteners and artificial sources of sugar (basically anything refined), flour (anything processed) and all wheat - I feel I can rely on myfitnesspal solely. Having 0 points on all fruits may be causing me problems so counting my fruit calories may help me. I am very confident with myfitnesspal once I change my way of eating WOE aka Way of Life