Late Night Snackers

Options
2»

Replies

• cjpeach
    cjpeach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have same habit - I eat healthy all day, then when kids are in bed I drink wine and munch. I see a direct correlation between weight loss/gain depending on how well I do with snacking at night. I have started drinking fun teas at night - Teavana has flavors like tiramisu and apple pie. Now that I'm tracking all food, it helps me think twice about eating something (which I still sometimes do!). good luck to you and let us know what works for you.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    wow, this is my #1 challenge!

No matter how well I eat in the evening, as soon as I get tired and prepare to go to bed, this close-to-impossible to resist urge to eat again hits me. Often I get to bed, only to get up again and do a sandwich, or get biscuits.

Constantly giving in to late night snacking has been so demoralizing. I can do great all day, only to end up with a night meal that kills my efforts of the entire day.

This week, I've managed to avoid lat enight snacking three days in a row. I think the trigger has been sleeping on the floor and knowing in advance that the urge would arrive.

I would almost count down for the sensation to strike, and challenging myself, no matter what, NOT to get up. Seeing it as a super importan challenge, no matter what I did, just not to get up. Honestly, I felt like a junkie. Scary.

Being able to resist one night, then another, then another (last night I failed, still three is pretty good) has made me realize it's possible even if really hard. I think it's that, acknowledge the strenght of it, and be ready to confront it. Even if it is triggering and painful and confusing
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you are anything like me it isn't even a matter of just wanting to snack. It's a matter of having a sugar habit. Whether you are hungry or not, no matter how balanced your meals are, no matter how much protein you get. It is basically like a drug. I am going to try to get off of the sugar myself. I am not one of those people who can just eat some reasonable sweet item. If I have one bite I will spiral into a sugar fest. It's a hard thing to beat.

This IS my story !
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Arizona_C wrote: »

No matter how well I eat in the evening, as soon as I get tired and prepare to go to bed, this close-to-impossible to resist urge to eat again hits me. Often I get to bed, only to get up again and do a sandwich, or get biscuits.

Constantly giving in to late night snacking has been so demoralizing. I can do great all day, only to end up with a night meal that kills my efforts of the entire day.

This week, I've managed to avoid lat enight snacking three days in a row. I think the trigger has been sleeping on the floor and knowing in advance that the urge would arrive.

I would almost count down for the sensation to strike, and challenging myself, no matter what, NOT to get up. Seeing it as a super importan challenge, no matter what I did, just not to get up. Honestly, I felt like a junkie. Scary.

Being able to resist one night, then another, then another (last night I failed, still three is pretty good) has made me realize it's possible even if really hard. I think it's that, acknowledge the strenght of it, and be ready to confront it. Even if it is triggering and painful and confusing

why not just plan a late evening snack in your calories for the day? its one of the first things that go into mine - that way i know i have the calories for it and don't feel guilty
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    Arizona_C wrote: »

This sounds familiar... Last year I was in a bad habit of getting up at 3am and eating... something small, but still - eating at a bad hour - my mind was convinced that I couldn't go back to sleep with a hungry tummy. It took a serious weight loss program and 18 pounds off to reset my brain. Last night I failed ! I managed to stay away from the late night snacking and then had a restless sleep and got up at 12 and chocolate :(
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you, it's been very effective for me. I am not at all hungry in the morning. I don't start feeling it until 2/3 in the afternoon. So I don't eat until then. I have coffee or something else, usually caloric, to drink throughout that time, but I don't get into food until late. So by the time that late night hunger hits, my calorie intake is still low enough to support doing that. Of course it still requires going for lower calorie food.
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello only has 10 calories in 1/4 of the package
  • cwilber1
    cwilber1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cereal and milk. Just make sure its a healthy cereal. I've also heard milk can aid in sleep/relaxation. Also heard the same things about bananas.
  • jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you, it's been very effective for me. I am not at all hungry in the morning. I don't start feeling it until 2/3 in the afternoon. So I don't eat until then. I have coffee or something else, usually caloric, to drink throughout that time, but I don't get into food until late. So by the time that late night hunger hits, my calorie intake is still low enough to support doing that. Of course it still requires going for lower calorie food.

This is what I do. Technically I do OMAD: my first meal of the day is dinner, usually about half of my daily goal, and then I spend time gaming or binge watching at night with some snacks if I want to to get the rest of my macros. If you're a volume eater or get "hangry" often, it's probably not for you, but I love doing this and it makes maintaining a deficit so easy imo.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options

This is what I do. Technically I do OMAD: my first meal of the day is dinner, usually about half of my daily goal, and then I spend time gaming or binge watching at night with some snacks if I want to to get the rest of my macros. If you're a volume eater or get "hangry" often, it's probably not for you, but I love doing this and it makes maintaining a deficit so easy imo.

I wish this would work for me ! I am hungry ALL the time! I usually have yogurt and almonds for breakfast around 9 or 10 and then two hours later a piece of fruit and then lunch around 230-3 and then a late dinner... even with the late dinner at 8 or 9 at night, I still want to snack around 11/12 ... Sugar addiction... brutal