How do you stop the midnight munchies???

Options
this seems to be my only "bad habit" of late.
I wake to let the dog out-nightly she asks........to have to walk through the kitchen to the door outside.
On my way she actually stops at the munchie area and it's like she is totally knowing me too well, there she stands waiting for me to eat those six crackers and drink that glass of milk.......see not a terribly bad habit--it could be worse.

but

I want to kick it
any suggestions???

Replies

• jillwaller
    Options
    A lot of times feeling hungry late at night is actually thirst- try drinking a glass of water instead!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    A lot of times feeling hungry late at night is actually thirst- try drinking a glass of water instead!
    THIS!! it's your bodies way of letting you know you may be a little dehydrated!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    put post-it notes on the fridge and cupboard reminding you of why you do not want to eat during the night and what you will gain (or lose) by not giving in to the temptation. Drink 8 oz of water and go back to bed. The hunger you feel will be gone before you know it....it sounds like it is out of habit not hunger.
  • esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi,
    what about having a hot peppermint tea with splenda- curbs the appetite and is soothing.
  • rachie50380
    Options
    i get hungry late night, i go for a handful of nuts, or a pudding, along with some water.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Don't eat.

that's the way to break it. You've trained your body to eat at midnight by eating at midnight, you can train it not to desire food by not giving in. You're body learns what you buckle down and teach it.
  • Lisamariemlt
    Lisamariemlt Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
    will do what has been suggested and head back to bed
    that water will be drank tonight
    hugs and thanks for your input
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement, you may not be able to 'break' the habit right away, but you are certainly able to CHANGE it ... Go for the water and eventually, if thirst was not the actual issue in the first place, that desire will wane.
    Best of luck with it, and more importantly, here's a little determination and will power to help you out!
  • Lisamariemlt
    Options
    put post-it notes on the fridge and cupboard reminding you of why you do not want to eat during the night and what you will gain (or lose) by not giving in to the temptation. Drink 8 oz of water and go back to bed. The hunger you feel will be gone before you know it....it sounds like it is out of habit not hunger.

thanks for the info and upfront info
  • TheRealKimpo
    Options
    Try not to have the foods that tempt you in the house. Or, try doing something that occupies your hands like going online. If you have to give in maybe reach for something super healthy or save calories for the end of the day when you know you'll want to snack. Hope that's helpful! It's never easy you just have to focus on the positive!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lol! Go to sleep! I get them too...
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I'm a late night snacker, which has been the hardest thing about this so far. I just let myself be hungry. I'm trying to tell myself I need to make new habits.
  • Lisamariemlt
    Options
    thanks everyone for your posts

last night I did the water
    told myself----be motivated and disciplined
    and I did it
    and it wasn't hard
    now to just get the dog to sleep through the night

nope she's not a puppy she's 8
    and a bugger
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When i started this was hard, i moved my dinner a littler later in the day (6:30 ish) and that helped, now i purposly try to reserve about 100 cal just in case, and i have pre-portioned 100 cal snakcs, pudding, popcorn, hummus, cracker.

And green tea. I know it sounds silly to drink when you want to snack but the green tea really helped me ant its 0 cal!!!!! Many flavours, personally i like the blueberry, its sweet and feels like a treat. :)