Sausages and Bacon

Options

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I cut down on it due to high cholesterol. Turkey sausage is good but in my personal opinion, turkey bacon is like eating cardboard. Lol.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you're worried about sodium nitrites and nitrates in bacon and sausages, buy fresh pork butt and grind and stuff your own sausages and buy fresh pork belly to make your own bacon.

You can leave out the pink curing salt (which includes sodium nitrate and nitrate and is used as much to preserve the color of the meat as it is to prolong its shelf life) and include whatever spices/flavorings that you like. It is actually quite easy to do.

BTW, the recipe that I use to cure 3# of pork belly to make bacon only calls for 1/2 teaspoon (along w/4.5 teaspoons of Kosher salt and other ingredients) in 3/4 cup of water to marinate and cure the meat before smoking.

1/2 teaspoon of curing salt isn't all that much and not all of that would be absorbed by the meat. So, I really don't think its anything to worry about.

But, if it still bothers you, just leave it out and just add 5 teaspoons of Kosher salt instead. The bacon will have a weird and unappetizing grey color but it will otherwise taste the same.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There are companies that make nitrate free bacon, I don't know about sausage.

The overall increase in cancer risk isn't high - as was quoted above, it goes up from 5 to 6 percent - but if that troubles you, you can seek alternatives. Speaking for myself, I love bacon and hate sausage, and eat a couple of pieces of bacon about twice a week. I also eat lunch meat and beef jerky, which contain nitrates. But I would probably avoid eating bacon for breakfast every day, lunch meat sandwiches every day, and beef jerky snacks every afternoon.

Are you unable to tolerate all dairy? Some people who are lactose intolerant can tolerate yogurt since it has low amounts of lactose. There are also sheep and goat dairy products.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned, mix it up with other meats. You don't have to just eat chicken!

What about ground turkey? Season it with some pepper and maple syrup and it would taste similar to a frozen sausage. Meatballs are another good idea. They have chicken and turkey meatballs if you don't want to eat beef ones. I'll second that beans are a great option. You can do a scramble with eggs, beans and salsa with avocado. Yummy. Packets of tuna or salmon are easy and convenient. Or, go the vegetarian route and try utilizing tofu, seitan and tempeh.

And, try cottage cheese. I can't do milk or yogurt but cottage cheese is okay for me.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Applegate Farms Naturals sausage and bacon products here in the USA are nitrate free, they have a product finder on their site. Target carries Applegate products in this area. I'd call myself an occasional bacon and sausage eater.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Eating bacon everyday is probably not a good idea.

Once a week is ok.

Why?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Nitrates and nitrites in processed meats aren't necessarily a problem. The link to cancer could come from something else. In the case of bacon, cooking process may make a difference.

https://www.livescience.com/36057-truth-nitrites-lunch-meat-preservatives.html
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making your own?
    It's relatively simple, and you control what goes into it.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love bacon but only eat occasionally because it does add up. I do eat turkey sausage more often because they are lower calories and fit in with my regular breakfast. I think the turkey sausage is good, but can't even look at the turkey bacon.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Kadoober wrote: »

That would be neat if it isn't too difficult.

I'm going to look it up.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can buy nitrite free bacon
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Kadoober wrote: »

That would be neat if it isn't too difficult.

I'm going to look it up.

It's really not at all difficult, but both bacon and sausage require some special equipment.
    Bacon - a smoker
    Sausage - a meat grinder and sausage stuffer (if desired).

If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, there is a meat grinder attachment, and a sausage stuffer attachment.

To make breakfast sausage, I will cut up a 5 lb. pork shoulder into small cubes, and season it with fresh chopped ginger, minced fresh garlic, chopped fresh sage, salt, loads of ground black pepper, and a good pinch of red pepper flakes. Mix that mess together, cover with saran, and let sit in the fridge over night.

The next day, grind with a small plate on the grinder. Mix with a mixer, slowly adding VERY cold water so it holds together. Form into patties.

Find all other breakfast sausages to be lacking forevermore.
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    You could also buy uncured versions of the bacon and sausage which would not have the nitrates/nitrites in them.

This. If you buy your meat from a real butcher instead of the grocery store, all that stuff you are worried about is absent. You'll still have the "red meat is bad" and other beliefs to contend with, which is up to you to believe or dismiss.

I believe in the mantra of all things in moderation. Lack of moderation has gotten me to where I am today, but that does not disprove the saying, but rather reinforces it. Use your intelligence and reason to make the best decision for you.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    minstine wrote: »
    Yes they fit and yes I'm eating plenty of fruits and vegs. I just heard they can cause cancer.

What they really cause is true happiness, cosmic bliss! Enjoy them to their fullest!