annoying weight related things

Options
people telling you you've gained weight, it's not nice no matter what, even just commenting on someone's weight makes some people uncomfortable!

when you tell someone you're dieting but they reply "you? no but you don't need to." it's nice of them and they mean well but when you hear it all the time it's like yeah i do just leave it please

when the same family members who comment on you gaining weight, are constantly shoving food down your throat even though you announced your dieting.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its called life and you roll with it
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    No need to let everyone know you are dieting. Also, if you're an adult, family can make food for you, but you can choose whether or not to eat it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Take a stand against the food pushers trying to shove food in your face, they don't understand and they don't have to. This is your journey to travel and no one else's..

Keep your goals and how you are doing it private.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    akhatar4 wrote: »
    people telling you you've gained weight, it's not nice no matter what, even just commenting on someone's weight makes some people uncomfortable!

when you tell someone you're dieting but they reply "you? no but you don't need to." it's nice of them and they mean well but when you hear it all the time it's like yeah i do just leave it please

when the same family members who comment on you gaining weight, are constantly shoving food down your throat even though you announced your dieting.

I am that person that is told that I don't have to lose weight, but that's because all they see is a 5'2 frame smartly clothed hiding the body fat I have - which would shock people. Today one of my patients poked my belly and said 'bun in the oven?' I replied 'no, my husband and I are just getting fat together.' LOL
    I would be offended in the past but since Ive been up and down the same 20 pounds for years, I just laugh about it now because I am making a conscious effort to change.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    akhatar4 wrote: »

1. Respond with a dirty look and a very cold "thank you for your concern".

2. Don't tell people you are "dieting". Tell people you are making an effort to be healthier. No one can argue with that.

3. "No thank you, I'm not hungry" repeatedly and/or avoid family functions if they don't stop.
  • akhatar4
    akhatar4 Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lol this post was meant to be a thread of everyone commenting what they also get annoyed about when it comes to their weight loss/gain journey, i should have specified that but its quite alright thanks guys for the tips

Although I must say I don't want to hide my dieting from people (other than complete strangers) nor should I have to, which means I basically do have to deal with people sharing their unsolicited opinions and i only get to tell them to shut it afterward but i'm used to it now, it's just a personal preference of mine because i used have an unhealthy association with dieting and weight in general that dieting is shameful for example so i just try to normalize it by talking about it casually, cause i've tried the whole keep dieting secret thing and it wasn't great for me. Also, i like to speak things into existence. Anyway what especially annoys is me the insisting that I take second portions of dinner because if i don't then the food didn't taste good and them feigning offence and this whole mess of a thing, i get it they mean well and to family food is love but nothing is messing up my weight loss journey dammit!

Yeah some people have no boundaries. My rule of thumb is never negatively comment on a part of a person's appearance that they can't fix within a few minutes unless it's my sibling cause then i can pretty much say what i want (lol kidding..sorta, i have a duty ok)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have found nothing to be particularly annoying...
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Whenever you make public statements, you open yourself up to feedback. It's how communication works. "I can say whatever I want and no one can say "boo!" " is not actually how human beings interact.

As far as family goes, good luck. They're not "feigning" offense. I don't think you are either. Your expectations of each others' behaviors are creating conflict. Those situations can be easily defused. "I love you Auntie, and this food was so good, but I'm positively stuffed! I'm afraid I'll get ill if I eat any more!" usually works wonders, especially if you follow up with a request for a recipe.
  • akhatar4
    edited November 2017
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Whenever you make public statements, you open yourself up to feedback. It's how communication works. "I can say whatever I want and no one can say "boo!" " is not actually how human beings interact.

As far as family goes, good luck. They're not "feigning" offense. I don't think you are either. Your expectations of each others' behaviors are creating conflict. Those situations can be easily defused. "I love you Auntie, and this food was so good, but I'm positively stuffed! I'm afraid I'll get ill if I eat any more!" usually works wonders, especially if you follow up with a request for a recipe.

That is exactly why I said I have to deal with people's unsolicited opinions. I know how human beings interact and I know how communication works :neutral:

And yes I have used that ol' trick nearly all the time but the whole back and forth gets old
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    skin sagging...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Well, my number one annoyance over weight loss right now is that my clothes are starting not to fit! It took a long time before it really started to be a problem as I wear a lot of knots and things with elastic, but it’s definitely becoming an issue - and I still want to lose the same amount again! To the thrift store with me, I suppose. I just really like a lot of my clothes, but I don’t think tailoring will be an option for a lot of them. Plus doing it now would be premature. I know it’s a good problem to have, but it’s still annoying.
  • akhatar4
    Options
    I'm annoyed that when I go online shopping I don't know if I should go for the size that I am, or the size that I will be. On one hand going for a smaller size helps motivate me to meet my goal weight and i have a shirt that fits me nicely when I do but then if I don't lose weight than I have a slightly too small shirt/jeans sitting in my closet
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I can't eat chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and french fries with gravy on all portions. I mean I can, but you know what I mean. I miss my midnight blue bell ice cream with extra sugar and milk eaten with tostitos chips. I mean I can, but you know what I mean. But it was sure a fun break from dieting while it lasted!