Running advice for new runner

Options
sfcrocker
sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I'm a 57 YO guy who has been cycling my whole life, but I've decided to start running because I work near a Lake that is exactly 5K around so why not!

I downloaded an app that's supposed to take me from 0-5K in 8 weeks. The first day was 1 minute run, 2 minute walk, etc. I'm now on week 6, 5 warm up, 10 minute run, 3 minute walk, 10 minute run, 5 cool down but I always finish out the 5K even after the app stops.

What's frustrating me is that my speed is nowhere near where I want it to be. If I run full-bore I can barely make it five minutes, let alone the full 30 minutes I'm going to have to run on week 8 to do the 5K in 30 minutes. I'm averaging about a 12 minute mile, which is TERRIBLE. Cycling I can ride uphill all day long, and ride fairly fast, without getting that tired, but running seems to be a different beast.

Anyone have any tips on how to start getting my speed up?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the couch to 5k thing is badly named. What it ACTUALLY will do is get you running consistently for 30 minutes. That is unlikely to be a distance of 5k.

But it doesn’t matter. Many of us runners have started off with the same run/Walk programme. There’s nothing wrong with 12 minute miles (I say this as someone who runs 12 minute miles, off-road, for 12 miles or so).

As you keep at it you’ll find out that speed is less important than you think if you want to go further. The idea is to build your aerobic base to sustain a longer period of activity. That’s no different from cycling. Forget minutes per mile, and just stick with the programme. You may even find you have to slow down even more to run some of the segments, but don’t let that bother you. Speed comes much much later.
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm also 57, and I started doing 5Km runs in 2016. The course I was doing was brutal (as in extremely hilly) and my first run was around 45 minutes. After about a year of running I got my best time down to about 34 mins. And after about 18 months was I able to completely run this course at a time of about 30 mins. A flat course I can do in about 25 mins consistently now.

What I'm trying to say, is building stamina takes time. It took me quite a while to build up to this and it all came together quite suddenly. Currently I'm working on 10km distances which I have to down to about 57 mins.

What I would do if i was you is forget about speed altogether and focus on running for as long as possible, even if its barely quicker than a walk. Once you can complete a 5km without stopping, then start building up the speed.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm with Toad.
    Nothing wrong with starting with a 12-minute mile.
    Relax.
    Enjoy it. No point in wasting your time running if you are a seasoned cyclist unless you enjoy it.
    Speed and mileage will come.
    Personally, at this point, I might suggest doing the 5k around the lake without walking, no matter how slow you have to run. And keep doing that. Pick up your speed at the end. Make that end a bit longer each time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Speed will come with more time on your feet. When you finish the c25k program, continue running, gradually adding distance. When you get to the point of doing 25 or so mpw, then start adding some speed sessions if you want, but until then, you are better off running at a slow easy conversational pace. Getting injured will set you back more than continuing to run easy.

When i completed C25k I ran a 5k at 29:36. Two months later I ran another and was 2 minutes faster. A year later I ran again and was a minute faster. I did no speedwork during that time, I just increased my distance and added a day of running each week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with a 12 minute mile. I finished my first ever nonstop mile in well over 15 minutes. Now I run 12 minute miles for my double digit training runs.

As others have said, the goal of C25K is just to train you to run for 30 minutes. Speed will come later. I still have never run a 5k in under 30 minutes, but I've gotten a lot closer to that time as I've continued running.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I'm with Toad.
    Nothing wrong with starting with a 12-minute mile.
    Relax.
    Enjoy it. No point in wasting your time running if you are a seasoned cyclist unless you enjoy it.
    Speed and mileage will come.
    Personally, at this point, I might suggest doing the 5k around the lake without walking, no matter how slow you have to run. And keep doing that. Pick up your speed at the end. Make that end a bit longer each time.

There's nothing wrong with a 12 minute mile being someone's race pace either...

Tru dat!
    (But it sounded like he was worried about it.)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Run within yourself, don't push too hard and it will be more enjoyable. When you can finally run 30-min continuously, you can start doing some faster stuff a couple of times a week. I wouldn't try to do anything fast tell you can do an easy 30-min run continuously.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The more miles you do, the faster you will get. I don't know anyone who finished a C25K program running it in 30 minutes. Focus on the distance and the speed will come.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Just like in cycling, you have to put in those base miles before you can worry too much about speed.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the better you get at it. You will be slow to start with, and that's fine. Once you get used to running your pace will naturally get faster.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As has been emphasized. Get your distance up first. You don't have to wait until you're doing 25 MPW for speedwork. although I would suggest waiting until you're doing 30-45 minutes in a session. which would be around 15 MPW at your current pace.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just completed c25k and started the 10K app. I can run a sub-14 minute mile for intervals, but when I'm running 30 minutes straight, 15 minute mile ALL THE WAY. I do what I can, when I can. And when I can do more and do better, I will.

A 12 minute mile is a dream for me.

You said what I was going to say. I'm week 12, day 3 :smiley: I was surprised at how easy the last day felt (it was 18 minutes *3 with one minute walk in between). I focus way more on how I feel during and after a run (at least after the first few minutes of OH GOD MAKE IT STOP). I have surprised myself a bit of how fast I really can go now (measured by how far I go in the running time), especially on flat (which I have to do on purpose since I'm surrounded by hills).

If I really really really push myself I can keep up a 12:30 pace for two miles on flat. Which I'm pretty darn proud of.

Anyway I digress, I also agree with the others that the more time you spend running, the faster you get without really trying. More miles = faster speed over time.
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    i started running 6 months ago, and it took me about two months to be able to make the 5k, work on distance then the speed will come.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A 12 minute mile is a dream for me.

Ditto.

And because of that, my advice may not apply to you but I found that learning how properly (or at least better) breathe while running made a HUGE difference for me. I'm still slow, but at least I'm not gasping for air after a few minutes like I was before.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Easy distance. It sounds like you have a decent cardiovascular base from your cycling but you still have to adjust your body to the repetitive impact of running. The only way to do this gradually over time. You've got to run slower for longer. More volume will also allow you to find your form and run as efficiently as you can.

I didn't start seeing noticeable improvements in my 5K times until I was regularly running ~4-5 miles per session (with a 6-7 mile long run once per week). As I worked up to that volume (~20 miles per week), my 5K times dropped from ~10 minute miles to 8:30 min/miles naturally.

The good news is that you can run all of your miles easy since you'll gain much more from easy volume than you will from shorter sprints at this point. It's fine to save the speedwork until you're regularly running ~20 miles per week or so and are regularly running longer than 5K at your easy pace.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To run faster you need to slow down, I know..... counter-intuitive. Your aerobic fitness that you've built biking gives you a great base but running & biking are apples and oranges, you're using different muscles, creating a lot more impact etc etc and even a fit cyclist has quite a bit of physiological adaptation to undergo.

You're first goal should be to be able to run the full 5km continuously (slowly, at a conversational pace) and then start worrying about improving speed. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast which can be really frustrating for someone who's already fit (If it makes you feel any better I've been running for over 10 years, doing triathlons for a few& hills still kick my butt)
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm definitely seeing improvement -- the point about pacing is good to know. Also good to know that running and biking are different (I mean, I *know* they're different but had always assumed fitness in one would translate to fitness in the other more easily). With the rainy season coming, I may have to move indoors to treadmills a few times a week.