Are you happy with where you are job/career wise at this time?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    happimess1 wrote: »
    I use to hate my job bcuz of all the stress but then I bought these stress balls to release the tension
    niceballs-or-how-to-be-productive-whilst-playing-with-your-balls-fb4.png

do you teabag yourself with it when you get bored, happi?

No thats when I come to mfp.

who teabags you here?

only person allowed to tea bag me is the 911 emergency crew.
    175395.gif

He's a soccer player; he's used to that.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Yep. Despise starting my career late because I spent time in the military first, I’m a level above most people at my firm my age, who’ve been there 2 or 3 years longer. I promoted 3 times in the 5 years I’ve been at my firm. I’m also much younger than everybody above me, and should promote to their level in the next year.
  • shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Absolutely *kitten* not. That was a no.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I took a flyer last year. At 46, I left a job with good pay, good benefits, and was top of my small department...for an unknown with a big tech company. Turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. I didn't want to protect what I'd built anymore, I wanted something different. I was lucky enough to land well, but even if I had not, I am much better off for the experience of getting out of the too comfortable place.

Tough as we get older. I am waiting on only 4ish years till I can retire from this job, but I have had to pass on some pretty enticing offers while sitting in the comfort zone. Like I said above, I absolutely love my job, but there are tons of other things I want to try. Waiting a few more years feels like never right now, but I can't complain too much.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm very happy with what I've accomplished. I change companies often though, and I'm due for another change soon. My current company is pretty comfortable ( read: I spend half of my work day on MFP), but it's been two years and it's starting to get old.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I made some smart choices and good investments early on, retired young and choose to live frugally in order to afford it. No one tells me what to do. My time is my own. I'm satisfied. B)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Absolutely *kitten* not. That was a no.

Do you too have a history of incredibily bad decisions?

If so, we should talk.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I made some smart choices and good investments early on, retired young and choose to live frugally in order to afford it. No one tells me what to do. My time is my own. I'm satisfied. B)

Are yo single? How is your heart?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Are yo single? How is your heart?

The heart is fine - fit and in great health. Married to an awesome guy. He's still working very part-time for fun money, although we don't need it. It's cool to be able to afford some extras and it keeps him busy. ;)
  • JamWam12
    JamWam12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The jobs I've worked during the past few years (admin temp jobs) including the job I currently have I can't say I enjoy. I would like work a job where I can make a difference and something that'll make me proud. Although I am not set on a career yet I do have ideas and in the meantime I'll continue to explore my options.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    I love my job, but that doesn't mean that I don't wish to win the Lottery and quit.
  • lwoods9706
    lwoods9706 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I am in the process of changing it.. I am one of those that wished that they would of went to college right out of high school. Live and learn
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No, not in the least. I'm basically starting over 20 years into my "career". Although my degree is in chemical engineering, I have no expertise in any specific field, so any upper level position is out. I've been too far removed from school and any real engineering, so an entry level position is out too. Add to the fact I have no interest in engineering either. I was laid off a year ago from a job where I had managed to do something other than engineering, but am unable to find anything similar that's not field specific.So here I am working a horrible job just to squeak by until I find something suitable. The only problem is having no idea how to apply to jobs I have no experience in, even though they are things I know I could do. Everyone sees the engineering degree and wonders why I would want a "lesser" job.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    No, not in the least. I'm basically starting over 20 years into my "career". Although my degree is in chemical engineering, I have no expertise in any specific field, so any upper level position is out. I've been too far removed from school and any real engineering, so an entry level position is out too. Add to the fact I have no interest in engineering either. I was laid off a year ago from a job where I had managed to do something other than engineering, but am unable to find anything similar that's not field specific.So here I am working a horrible job just to squeak by until I find something suitable. The only problem is having no idea how to apply to jobs I have no experience in, even though they are things I know I could do. Everyone sees the engineering degree and wonders why I would want a "lesser" job.

I'm a similar position, except my degree was electrical engineering. I'm not happy at all. It's not a bad job, and my co-workers are nice enough, but I'm just not cut out for this kind of work and I know it - and heaven knows I've spent enough time trying to make it work! I resent my job and the amount of time I spend on it; I hate that most of my life is dedicated to a career, when I never wanted a career to consume my life.

However, I stay and slug along because I have bills to pay and roof to keep over my head. And I still don't know what it is that I would like to do. And because trying to change careers when you have to work 40 hours + a week and can't find a online program that interests you and none of the local schools offer evening or weekend classes is impossible.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm retired, so yes. Before, not so much. The job (I can't bring myself to call it a career) was slowly killing me.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I love my job for where I work but I'd like to make more money.

I work as a night shift shelter manager at a domestic abuse shelter and I love that, I love my coworkers, I get to sleep at work but I get paid dog poo and i can't exactly live on that. But it opens up the possibilities to new things. I have experience in a position that means something. If you're not happy keep going you're the only person holding you back there's always a million excuses not to do something.
  • Wax_on_wax_off
    Wax_on_wax_off Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I am. Its never too late to do what you love. I used to be a lawyer. Now I teach non contact boxing to people diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Doesn't feel like a job at all.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    If I had a job I could answer your question.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Nope. Hate it. Graveyard shift at a plastic factory making sump pump liners and garbage bin lids. Not really anything with a purpose and for *kitten* money. I can only blame myself for the terrible decisions I made along the way.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Not really. I feel stuck actually.