Down a size with no weight loss

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
Hello!

Some may know me, others may not.

Some just plain wish they didnt!!!

I have been here since June (signed up in Jan 08, did nuttin till June!) and have lost my cholesterol medicine, 21 inches, 4 pant sizes, OH and 28 pounds.

I have gained a healthier body, a love of good food, a better attitude, energy beyond my wildest dreams, a better relationship with my spouse and kids, and a LOT of really cool loving friends from all walks of life here on MFP.

Every few months my body changes. It refuses to lose pounds. No matter WHAT I eat, that damn scale will not budge.

Some may notice a 'new' dude hanging around lately, those of us around for a while know him as Banks. He has some great threads I keep tagged in favs so I can refer back to them when I am frustrated out of my skull with stops and starts.

One of the things he has written that sticks in my brain is that when we get stuck, and have tried everything-changing up our routine, up the calories, down the calories, add more resistance training and we are still stuck.............we get frustrated and STOP everything........just as our bodies were ready to let go of a bit more weight. He said if we wait it out, our bodies will adapt and we will start losing again.

This is where I am now. I have 15-20 left to lose. My body LOVES the good food I am feeding it and the extra exercise. It also LOVES the fat that is left, I mean really it has been here for 20 years so why would it want to go!??

So I have been adding exercise, new routines, weights, etc. The scale has not budged......BUT........I am down a full size! I just bought size 10s that barely fit a month ago and when I ran across the room in the office the other day they fell down! :noway:

In conclusion (I thought being I wrote and ESSAY for crying out loud!!) DONT GIVE UP! Your body DOES love the new you. It is NOT all about the pounds on the scale.

Keep up the great work everyone! I see so many changes in you all. :love:

OMG we rock and roll, don't we!! :glasses:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Options
    Hello!

Some may know me, others may not.

I have been here since June (signed up in Jan 08, did nuttin till June!) and have lost my cholesterol medicine, 21 inches, 4 pant sizes, OH and 28 pounds.

I have gained a healthier body, a love of good food, a better attitude, energy beyond my wildest dreams, a better relationship with my spouse and kids, and a LOT of really cool loving friends from all walks of life here on MFP.

Every few months my body changes. It refuses to lose pounds. No matter WHAT I eat, that damn scale will not budge.

Some may notice a 'new' dude hanging around lately, those of us around for a while know him as Banks. He has some great threads I keep tagged in favs so I can refer back to them when I am frustrated out of my skull with stops and starts.

One of the things he has written that sticks in my brain is that when we get stuck, and have tried everything-changing up our routine, up the calories, down the calories, add more resistance training and we are still stuck.............we get frustrated and STOP everything........just as our bodies were ready to let go of a bit more weight. He said if we wait it out, our bodies will adapt and we will start losing again.

This is where I am now. I have 15-20 left to lose. My body LOVES the good food I am feeding it and the extra exercise. It also LOVES the fat that is left, I mean really it has been here for 20 years so why would it want to go!??

So I have been adding exercise, new routines, weights, etc. The scale has not budged......BUT........I am down a full size! I just bought size 10s that barely fit a month ago and when I ran across the room in the office the other day they fell down! :noway:

In conclusion (I thought being I wrote and ESSAY for crying out loud!!) DONT GIVE UP! Your body DOES love the new you. It is NOT all about the pounds on the scale.

Keep up the great work everyone! I see so many changes in you all. :love:

OMG we rock and roll, don't we!! :glasses:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Great work! It is an amazing feeling when something that was tight before is falling off of you! keepit up! :flowerforyou:
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    Well said:heart:
  • twoody
    twoody Posts: 42
    Options
    Keep up the great work!! Losing that many inches and pant sizes is amazing!! I know what you mean about the scale not budging or even moving in the wrong direction! You are doing a great job and are such an inspiration to us just beginning!! Thanks for the kind words!! Have a great week!
  • mickeygr
    Options
    :wink: Congratulations! I don't know you, I'm new today, but I'm inspired!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Never in a million years missy.:angry:
    a LOT of really cool loving friends from all walks of life here on MFP.
    {snicker} even me.:blushing:

Great job and great post you sweet thang, you.:drinker: :heart:
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    AWTY- you rock! :glasses:
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    you have done so amazingly well ...Isn't it great to feel fit and healthy? Trousers falling down sounds like fun :laugh:

Well done for sticking it out :bigsmile: I know I couldn't have managed my own loss so effectively with out this site and all the marvellouos help and people on here.

:bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Great post AWTY! It really helps to get tips like this from those of you who have been, and are being successful! Patience is definately something to embrace on this journey! Thanks for sharing:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Never in a million years missy.:angry:
    a LOT of really cool loving friends from all walks of life here on MFP.
    {snicker} even me.:blushing:

Great job and great post you sweet thang, you.:drinker: :heart:

es SPECIAL y you Jo!!! :love: :love:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    AWTY- you rock! :glasses:

WE rock! look at YOUR numbers!!! :smooched:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Great post AWTY! It really helps to get tips like this from those of you who have been, and are being successful! Patience is definately something to embrace on this journey! Thanks for sharing:flowerforyou:

absolutely! patience! thanks so much!:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    You got it girl!! You have figured it out! :wink: :flowerforyou:

I am so happy for you and very proud! You have done an excellent job and a huge part of your success is because you opened your mind and allowed yourself to see things in a different way. Too often, we live in this bubble of what we think should happen to lose weight. I think part of it is due to being brainwashed! If there isn't a commercial out there regarding "quick, speedy" weight-loss, there is a magazine article or something else "In yo face!" It's hard to reprogram ourselves to accept the RIGHT information and allow it to work!

But, you have gotten there and you have done it and I have NO doubt in my mind that you have changed your lifestyle for good!

Congrats hun!! :drinker:

:heart: -Tami
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Arewethereyet!!! :happy: :wink: :drinker:

You make such a good point about the scale. Weight loss is far from the only indicator of success. If you commit to healthy ways of living, your body will only respond in a positive way over time. We all just have to stick with it! I'm loving my healthy life right along with you. :heart: :happy:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    congrats, and what a great post, thanks for posting it, I had been stressing over the scale but I am not doing that anymore, I am just going to keep what I am doing and go with it, I bought myself a measuring tape and so that is what I am going to be using. Keep up the great work you are doing awesome.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    WooHoo a whole size that's fantastic. :drinker: My aim is a 14, don't think I'll see the ten. You are doing great! Keep it up and thanks for sharing your story, it really encouraged me to think this is worth it!:flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Never say you won't see a size! Especially with weight lifting. I was floored the first time I went clothes shopping after getting into weight lifting. I wear smaller sizes than I ever have in my life, even when I weighed ten pounds less. Weight lifting can do some magical things to the body!

I don't know if it has been mentioned that you don't need to kill yourself! Three to four times per week is enough. When I learned that professional body builders often only work their abs *once* per week, that's when I started weight lifting seriously and haven't looked back! (I used to think I had to do work my abs nearly every day, and I would burn myself out and quit.)

Here are some sample programs:

Beginners 2 days:
    Mon: Cardio
    Tue: Full body weights
    Wed: Cardio
    Thurs: Cardio
    Fri: Full body weights
    Sat: Cardio
    Sun: Off

Beginners 3 days:
    Mon: Full body weights
    Tue: Cardio
    Wed: Full body weights
    Thu: Cardio

Intermediate 3 day splits:
    Mon: Chest, shoulders, triceps, abs
    Wed: Legs, back, biceps, calves
    Fri: Chest shoulders, triceps, abs
    (The following Monday pick up with the legs workout.)

Intermediate 4 day splits:
    Mon: Chest, shoulders, triceps, abs, and cardio
    Tue: Legs, back, biceps, calves
    Thu: Chest shoulders, triceps, abs
    Fri: Cardio
    Sat: Legs, back, biceps, calves

When you get into advanced, you can break it down even more, so that you only work out three muscle groups at a time:

Back, chest, abs
    Quads, hamstrings, calves
    Shoulders, triceps, and biceps

You can switch muscle groups around so that you're never doing the same workout twice, and your muscles never adapt to what you're doing! They just look more and more defined! :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks for everyones responses! I had hoped it would encourage anyone who is in this for the long haul!!:flowerforyou:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    you have done such awesome job!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Never say you won't see a size! Especially with weight lifting. I was floored the first time I went clothes shopping after getting into weight lifting. I wear smaller sizes than I ever have in my life, even when I weighed ten pounds less. Weight lifting can do some magical things to the body!

I don't know if it has been mentioned that you don't need to kill yourself! Three to four times per week is enough. When I learned that professional body builders often only work their abs *once* per week, that's when I started weight lifting seriously and haven't looked back! (I used to think I had to do work my abs nearly every day, and I would burn myself out and quit.)

Here are some sample programs:

Beginners 2 days:
    Mon: Cardio
    Tue: Full body weights
    Thurs: Cardio

Beginners 3 days:
    Mon: Full body weights
    Wed: Full body weights

Intermediate 3 day splits:
    Mon: Chest, shoulders, triceps, abs
    Wed: Legs, back, biceps, calves
    Fri: Chest shoulders, triceps, abs

Intermediate 4 day splits:
    Mon: Chest, shoulders, triceps, abs, and cardio
    Tue: Legs, back, biceps, calves
    Thu: Chest shoulders, triceps, abs
    Fri: Cardio
    Sat: Legs, back, biceps, calves

When you get into advanced, you can break it down even more, so that you only work out three muscle groups at a time:

Back, chest, abs
    Quads, hamstrings, calves
    Shoulders, triceps, and biceps

You can switch muscle groups around so that you're never doing the same workout twice, and your muscles never adapt to what you're doing! They just look more and more defined! :bigsmile:

Funny, that is the only thing that is different. I really started to lift weights at christmas when DH bought me a weight bench. I bet that is the change right there!! WOO HOO!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!