Hunger Suppression

Options
greenlizard72
greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am working on reducing how much coffee I drink, which I'm actually a little scared of for withdrawal reasons (headaches). I drink a lot of coffee everyday, from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. It's too much, and has begun to affect how much sleep I am getting (duh!). I've already switched to decaf in the evenings and noticed my evening hunger increasing, even after I have had dinner. While I am hoping to mitigate this by going to bed earlier, I also did a little research and apparently green tea and foods high in fiber help satiate hunger. Can anyone lend truth to this, or suggest other foods/drinks that really satiate hunger? I'm not looking for medication or supplements.

Edit Note: I realize green tea has caffeine. :) Sometimes the brain no worky.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    LOL Green tea has caffeine in it. Chamomile tea has a sedative effect. Or try just drinking more water.

Look up Konjac Root, sold as pill form as PGX. Take with LOTS of water so you don’t create a fiber plug.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Satiety is a very personal thing. Some people find protein filling (I don’t). Some people find oatmeal filling. I find fiber filling (as do some other people). Try them and see.

Green tea may have caffeine so that might not help your goal. I don’t find it has any effect on my hunger. It’s a nice drink though.
  • greenlizard72
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    LOL Green tea has caffeine in it.

Duh! See! Lack of caffeine is making me daft!!! Seriously, I'm looking for through out the day too as I hope to reduce my coffee to a couple cups in the morning. If my evening experience holds true, this will cause me to be hungrier during the day.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Chamomile tea has a sedative effect. Or try just drinking more water.

I am drinking more water and it does help. Ice cold water for me. Chamomile tea sounds good for the evening,

Thanks jgnatca

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Get an interest in teas... there are so many amazing varieties out there that are caffeine free, you can even get a tea that is chocolate flavoured.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I find high-fiber eating really does help me feel fuller longer. Some of the most filling foods are supposed to be oranges, oatmeal, and tomato soup, for whatever it's worth.

One thing, if you decide to increase your fiber intake, DEFINITELY increase your water, and don't do it all at once.
  • greenlizard72
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Get an interest in teas... there are so many amazing varieties out there that are caffeine free, you can even get a tea that is chocolate flavoured.

Is there one that tastes like coffee? :D I will check out teas. We have a nice tea thingy with a basket strainer for the leaves I think. Somewhere...
  • greenlizard72
    Options
    I find high-fiber eating really does help me feel fuller longer. Some of the most filling foods are supposed to be oranges, oatmeal, and tomato soup, for whatever it's worth.

One thing, if you decide to increase your fiber intake, DEFINITELY increase your water, and don't do it all at once.

I love tomato soup (bisque is even better) and have some on hand. I'll try that out. Thank you Nickssweetheart!
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Most nights I drink mocha or hot cocoa in the evenings so I don't go to bed hungry and it meets my chocolate craving....cashew milk, cocoa powder, decaf coffee, stevia and sometimes a squirt of whipped cream....50 calories total. Other nights I drink herbal teas my favorites being cinnamon, mint, and berry.
  • megnolia82
    megnolia82 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow coffee lover! To cut down on my caffeine I make decaf sometimes in the afternoon in the same brand as my morning caffeinated coffee. I can't taste much of a difference but I don't feel guilty about it and I get to sleep!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Chai doesn’t taste like coffee, but most coffee lovers adore the flavor. Give that a try.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Sometimes evening eating is boredom. You can pick different activities that have elements of self care. Like a hike. Reading a book.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You sound like a friend of mine...drank coffee from sunup to sundown. She switched to decaff in the early afternoon and in the eve for her snack ate an apple sliced up and dipped in nutella. Seemed to work for her.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also did a little research and apparently . . .foods high in fiber help satiate hunger. Can anyone . . .suggest other foods/drinks that really satiate hunger? I'm not looking for medication or supplements.

Protein helps satiate hunger. I often have a hard boiled egg or a couple ounces of lunch meat in the evening if my hunger acts up. This usually knocks down my night time hunger.

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Apples work well for me. Along with tea
  • sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Technically decaf has caffeine in it too. It's better to consider it "reduced caffeine".

As for reducing hunger I tend to drink water if I feel hungry. Can't say it always works but it's helping me get used to my body. What I used to think was hunger was really "I fancy <insert food here> because it tastes damn good" rather than "I'm so hungry I need energy in order for me to complete this simple task and not feel lethargic". I try to only eat when I get to (or am about to get to) the latter. Unless I'm on my period and then I need all the food.

Edit: it's also easy to get in a rut if you eat at a specific time. I used to work in an office where we'd have breakfast at 1030. Then I switched jobs and started having breakfast before I left for work. At 1030 I'd get hungry. But I think actually it was my body saying "hey, you normally eat now, where is my food?"

Sorry if I make no sense!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I stop taking caffeine around 2pm or it will keep me up. I deal with hunger by practicing IF. I don't eat breakfast, eat a light lunch around 1pm, then save the majority of my calories for dinner around 6pm. I feel full and satisfied all evening and at bedtime. You could always try it!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Coffee lover here. I've been up for 3 hours and have already had 5 cups.

I'm a high fiber believer. I'm not vegetarian but tend to eat lots of meatless meals made with beans or lentils. For evening hunger an apple with an oz of blue cheese has been helping. Or a small cup of soup.

I also prefer eating more of my calories in the first 8-10 hours of the day. I often have 2 breakfasts before noon especially if I work out.

Remeber that everyone is different. That whole IF thing wouldn't work for me but obviously it works for a lot of other people.

Not a big tea drinker but I do like the chai flavor.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Don't try to suppress hunger. Make sure you're not undereating (you should never aim for a weekly loss of more than 1% of your body weight). Then balance your diet so that you get in sufficient nutrition - there are certain "universal" minimum ranges for fat, protein, vitamins, minerals. Your "personal" need for certain nutrients may be higher, this is something you have to figure out by trial and error. Then there is learning to differentiate between cravings and hunger, between real hunger and boredom eating; you have to tolerate some discomfort, but not deliberately hurt yourself.
    HungerGauge-1-1.jpg

Interesting ... I'm often sitting in the hunger pangs, stomach growling/light headed, shaky, loss of focus area.

I can eat ... and within 2 hours, I'm there.

If I eat something like honey on bread, or oatmeal, I'll be there within an hour. :(

Regarding tea ... I drink a rooibos variety most evenings. I find it is sweet enough to satisfy any sweet cravings I might have.

Sometimes I mix it up and have lemon-ginger. This is good if my stomach is feeling a little upset.

And then I drink a variety of chamomile just before bed.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Machka9 if you are getting the light headed feeling you might be hypoglycemic. If so, you might need to eat like a diabetic to have continued, sustained energy. I find any food that has all the macros is the best and preventing this. This includes nuts, hiker's mix, Edamame, cheese and crackers, or half an energy bar. In desperation I've bought Muscle Milk from a convenience store and that worked, too.

If you want to know if you are hypoglycemic, test your blood two hours after eating. Maybe a friendly diabetic will lend you her meter.