Body fat/body weight

Options
Hi there!
For quite a while now I've been struggling with my weight. A few years ago I was quite heavy, 65kg for a 159cm frame. Now I am down to 53kg, but I still don't look anywhere near my weight. I want to go down to 50kg. To lose weight I started taking long walks, biking and I was in a calorie deficit. I didn't eat junk food or sweets, but I didn't go on a diet.
However my body fat percentage is around 25% - and I don't know what to do! I do look pudgy and I still have quite large thighs (my biggest insecurity) so please do help! What's the cause of this- and what can I do?

Replies

• tovawiderberg
    tovawiderberg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    How did you get your body fat measurement? Scales are horrifically inaccurate. *Exercise did little for my weight loss. I found that sticking to calories worked much, much better.

I used measuring tape!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    25% is fairly normal body fat for a woman.

If you want to improve the appearance of your body i.e. reduce body fat and improve muscle definition, look into recomposition (stickied post in maintenance forum).

Basically you need to make sure you eat plenty of protein, eat at maintenance or just below and get yourself on a progressive lifting program. Cardio will do little on it's own, you just end up a smaller version of your former self.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    How did you get your body fat measurement? Scales are horrifically inaccurate. *Exercise did little for my weight loss. I found that sticking to calories worked much, much better.

I used measuring tape!

I don't think you can determine your body fat percentage with a measuring tape.

There are formulas for doing this.

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/

I use them weekly and take an average, including what my scale trended to. I don't trust the Cover Bailey one simply as it gives me a lower number by ~ 1.5%

None of the BF tools are particularly accurate, but if you use them on a consistent basis (same time of week for measuring etc.) they can give a close approximation and will show a decent trend, much like a scale does for weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I used measuring tape!

I use them weekly and take an average, including what my scale trended to. I don't trust the Cover Bailey one simply as it gives me a lower number by ~ 1.5%

None of the BF tools are particularly accurate, but if you use them on a consistent basis (same time of week for measuring etc.) they can give a close approximation and will show a decent trend, much like a scale does for weight.

Wow, I never knew that! Thanks for letting me know.
  • akhatar4
    akhatar4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as OP. I have lost 25 pounds and am 13 pounds away from my goal weight but I think i look heavier than I am. I have lost dress sizes but I retain fat in my hips, arms, navel and face and at 24 years old having chubby cheeks is not fun :/ my body fat % is 27, and i guess after I hit my goal weight i'll be looking into weight training and toning :worried: that is so intimidating for me because running is all i know
  • akhatar4
    Options
    you're probably right, i know there are so many benefits, higher metabolism, less pudginess, increased energy, you get to eat more etc etc but it's soooo intimidating and i don't know where to start, time to hit up youtube..
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've used the beginner ones from http://hasfit.com

But I joined the Y in August (I needed to run and could not run outside as forest fires blanketed my town in smoke) and working with a coach was included in the price (not a PT and we meet once a month or so) so I'm doing his routine for now.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I used measuring tape!

HEY EVERYONE!

I TAUGHT JANEJELLYROLL SOMETHING!!!!

(Cuz I think you are a bright poster and am impressed I knew something you didn't) :)

Good for you! Want a hug?

(Sorry for the thread crash, but c'mon - did you really think I'd let that one pass?)
  • akhatar4
    Options
    thank you the hasfit site looks great and actually do-able, i wasn't planning on working out more than twice a week tbh because i'm restarting on mfp and taking it slow mainly counting calories but the hasfit programs i'm looking at are making me reconsider
    i'm sorry to hear about the forest fire btw, that must have been tough
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I've used the beginner ones from http://hasfit.com

But I joined the Y in August (I needed to run and could not run outside as forest fires blanketed my town in smoke) and working with a coach was included in the price (not a PT and we meet once a month or so) so I'm doing his routine for now.

Second vote for HASFIT! I started out using them back in November last year, it's great for beginners and free,
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    akhatar4 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as OP. I have lost 25 pounds and am 13 pounds away from my goal weight but I think i look heavier than I am. I have lost dress sizes but I retain fat in my hips, arms, navel and face and at 24 years old having chubby cheeks is not fun :/ my body fat % is 27, and i guess after I hit my goal weight i'll be looking into weight training and toning :worried: that is so intimidating for me because running is all i know

Definitely better sooner rather than later, the biggest benefit is muscle insurance, better to be losing mostly fat than fat and muscle.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    25% is fairly normal body fat for a woman.

If you want to improve the appearance of your body i.e. reduce body fat and improve muscle definition, look into recomposition (stickied post in maintenance forum).

Basically you need to make sure you eat plenty of protein, eat at maintenance or just below and get yourself on a progressive lifting program. Cardio will do little on it's own, you just end up a smaller version of your former self.

This!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I used measuring tape!

HEY EVERYONE!

I TAUGHT @JANEJELLYROLL SOMETHING!!!!

(Cuz I think you are a bright poster and am impressed I knew something you didn't) :)

:D
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    another good youtube is fitnessblender - they have a wide variety of workouts you can do at home with limited equipment
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,192 Member
    Options

I used measuring tape!

HEY EVERYONE!

I TAUGHT @JANEJELLYROLL SOMETHING!!!!

Almost worth posting on the NSV thread! ;)

(Another apology for digression, OP. I'd add some on-topic comments to redeem myself, but you already got good advice above: 25% BF ain't bad; and recomposition/exercise/weight training is good to improve appearance at any weight, so start sooner rather than later.)
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    another good youtube is fitnessblender - they have a wide variety of workouts you can do at home with limited equipment

When I tried this couple's videos a few years ago (the last time I tried to lose weight/get in shape), I found them to be very easy to follow. I am not talented in this area at all, but their videos helped.