HIIT for fat loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm 18, female, 146lbs and 5'3". I'm overweight but not majorly. I used to be really slim until I got stressed last year in my final year of school and now no matter what I try I can't seem to lose the chub? I really want to lose about a stone in total as that will bring me down to a healthy weight but I don't mind how long it takes. I have my diet under control with my fitness pal. But what I'm wondering is, do you think it will be possible for my to lose my weight by doing 3-4 intense HIIT aspersions a week and the days I don't do HIIT I will go for a 5km cycle? I've already started this this week and I'm really enjoying it. It I'm just wondering do you think it will provide substantial weight loss?
    I really don't like what I see in the mirror anymore and it's such a pity I can notice it in my thighs, stomach and face especially and want to be happy in my body again
    According to MFP it says I should eat approximately 1500 calories a day and in total I get 1200 and that's with all my required means and healthy Snacks and any exercise I do burns only 300-500 calories. Would this show results?

I do HIIT workouts 3 times a week and they really help me. I don't do steady state cardio because I don't enjoy it but I find HIIT challenging. I also do weights and yoga everyday to keep me going.
  • Joannefenton15
    Joannefenton15 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You’re only netting 900 calories? That’s not good. You should be eating the amount that MFP gives you plus at least a portion of your exercise calories. This won’t keep you from losing, but if you keep to this amount you may see some effects on your health and ability to work out.

No I'm getting 1200 calories? And burning about 300 on top of that. People have been telling me to burn more than I'm eating but I personally can't see myself burning 1200-1500 cals in a day
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You’re only netting 900 calories? That’s not good. You should be eating the amount that MFP gives you plus at least a portion of your exercise calories. This won’t keep you from losing, but if you keep to this amount you may see some effects on your health and ability to work out.

No I'm getting 1200 calories? And burning about 300 on top of that. People have been telling me to burn more than I'm eating but I personally can't see myself burning 1200-1500 cals in a day

The people that told you to burn equal an amount of exercise cals to what you are eating are incorrect.

You should be netting calories in MFP. Therefore to net 1200 you need to eat 1500 - 300 (exercise) = 1200. Currently you are netting 900 and over time this leads to side effects down the road that can be quite unpleasant and affect your overall health if done over a period of time.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Your body needs energy (calories) just to function. The recommendation of 1500 cals is what mfp calculates you need to lose weight, just going about your daily life, before you add purposeful exercise. When you exercise, you should eat more cals to compensate, so that your intake balances out with your output to be 1500.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You burn way more than 1500 calories just by living and going about your day. You should be aiming for at least 1200 calories AFTER exercise, if not your goal. Prolonged undereating can lead to muscle loss and a number of other serious health issues.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets your HR up for the longest overall time in a way you can deal with is the best calorie burn.
  • Its_thetime
    Its_thetime Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor and hiit burns more calories in a shorter amt of time for me, plus I started losing inches from my butt and thighs, two problem areas for me, much faster as a result of hiit. Just do something you'll stick to, any exercise is better than none, but diet is king!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor and hiit burns more calories in a shorter amt of time for me, plus I started losing inches from my butt and thighs, two problem areas for me, much faster as a result of hiit. Just do something you'll stick to, any exercise is better than none, but diet is king!

Heart rate monitors are not accurate for HIIT. They are designed specifically for steady state cardio.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

You burn calories just by breathing, a bunch of them.

You can lose weight without any exercise, because you burn so many just being alive.
  • angelagwilliams
    angelagwilliams Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also 5’3” and for me I have found that diet combined + HIIT means weight loss. Highly recommend it. Usually it means 500 calorie burn. HIIT needs to be intense as someone else mentioned. I use to run with a group of girls who ran faster than I did and that did the trick. That was 10 years ago though! Now, at age 45 I find it is more difficult and trying to loose about 10lbs. Just recently started to incorporate 3 HIIT sessions per week. Orangetheory training 2x week, running stairs (weights in between stair sets), 1-2 runs (3 miles at a moderate pace) and a long walk plus 1-2 days of weight training. And of course food tracking between 1200-1500 /day. Anxious to see how it pays off. We all respond differently so see how your body responds!