POLL of sorts, gym classes

Options
So this morning I made myself get up at 5am for a class at the gym. It's a full body workout with weighs, I love it, it's just early. I told myself that I had two classes to do (today and Friday am) and then two weeks of vacation where I will just do my running program. Yes, I have to talk myself into getting out of bed every morning. I'm like a child that way, I need bribes. SO. Anyway. Class SUCKED. The usual instructor is awesome, she kicks my butt on a regular basis. Today, I was bored, not getting my heart rate up, lifting more than the instructor, and I was cold with the fans on because I wasn't getting a good workout. The poll is this:

If you are in a class at the gym and it sucks, do you suffer through it or do you leave?

I was at the point of leaving but was going to finish up the exercise we were doing. Well, I look over and two other people are leaving so I feel guilty and stay. I was obviously not the only unhappy camper.

Replies

• jessicamckay13
    Options
    Or you can just tell me I'm a jerk for considering leaving.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I am a group ex. instructor and I will walk out if I feel a class is really a waste of my time. I only have so much time to workout each day and I am not going to waste it in a bad class. I have had people walk out on my class before, usually because it is too hard, but I am not offended. Everyone has their own preferences and deserve to be in a class they enjoy.
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You aren't a jerk for considering leaving. There is no point in wasting your time. If you aren't getting out of it what you want to then you might as well leave. The instructor may not know s/he is doing a terrible job, by staying you are actually telling this person what they are doing is okay. By leaving you are indicating to them that they have room to improve their teaching strategy.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have not walked out but been tempted. I took a Pilates class a couple weeks ago that was horrible. Boring, didn't like the instructor, just BLEH. I didnt' walk out but I definitely won't go back.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have left classes before that sucked; however, I usually try to get through them anyway but then don't return to that class next time.
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    With other people leaving, I probably would have stuck around.... BUT, I think I would have said something to the gym manager or someone on the way out..... If the instructor is that bad, management should know and should think seriously before having him/her sub again or hire that person full time.....
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I usually suffer....any workout is better than no workout at all...IMO