What is good weekly weight loss goal?

Options
I am looking to lose about 140 lbs to hit my goal. I don't know if I should set a weekly goal of 2lbs, 1.5lbs, or 1lb. I plan on working out 3-4 times a week, lifting weights and some cardio. I am at a desk all day for my job, so I picked sedentary when setting up my profile. Any suggestions on what worked for you? Thanks.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is a tortoise and the hare kinds of thing. A lot of people fail in the long term because they set too aggressive goals and can't stick to them. Losing a pound a week for a year is better than losing two pounds a week for a month and then gaining it all back.

At your weight you can get away with two pounds a week for a while. But you might find one pound easier.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Up to 2 lbs a week would be considered safe with that much extra to use, without medical supervision. As you get closer to healthy/ideal weight, most will recommend you lower your weekly loss rate.

I don't calculate based on a desired loss rate. I setup MFP for maintenance at my goal weight, including all my macros. This naturally sets up a weight loss curve ... as my TDEE drops but my intake stays the same, the deficit narrows, resulting in slower loss as i get closer to goal. Its like gliding in for a landing.

The big benefit is that when I get there, I wont have to adjust my eating habits/meal plan ... I'll already have been using it for months, so it will be second nature.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can work with 2 pounds (and maybe even more as some recommend 1% of your weight). Once you get about halfway through then you’ll want to reduce your deficit.
  • Akmauser
    Akmauser Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can work with 2 pounds (and maybe even more as some recommend 1% of your weight). Once you get about halfway through then you’ll want to reduce your deficit.

Running into that issue myself. I've lost 61 pounds at 2 pounds a week. However, this last 6 weeks as been rough. My workload has reduced significantly causing a reduction in the amount of calories. I've found it easier to focus on 1 pounds a week rather than 2.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start with 1 lb per week and see how that goes. Once you get into a routine you might be able to increase it a bit. Too many people start out trying 2 lbs per week then get discouraged if they don't achieve it. Best to get some success under your belt.
    FYI I lost 150. The first 50 took 6 months, the next 50 took 9 months, the last 50 took a year. I lost every single month. I was very committed and consistent and highly disciplined. Otherwise known as desperate. I ate about 1700+ the whole time and that's now my maintenance.
    Your fitness plan sound great. If you're not used to working out, start out gradually and pace yourself. Too much too fast has frustrated many people on here.