How did strength training change your weight/body?

Options
76chelyn
76chelyn Posts: 16 Member
I have only been sticking to cardio. I’m intimidated by weights and strength training machines. I don’t know why!?!
I’m 5ft 0 in Started at 145 lbs want to get to 110 currently at 131
40 year old female

Replies

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Definite improvements in my body composition that endurance sports can't match - my 'off-season weightlifter' body composition looks harder and better-defined than my 'triathlon season' body (although I'm hoping to retain my better composition in next year's tri season due to training less intensely for smaller races).

I only do heavy compound lifts with free weights, and I'd recommend them with the appropriate preparations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It gave me a fitness/athletic look rather than just being "skinny"...IMO, "skinny" isn't a particularly great look...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights ASAP! Well, not without proper training first and getting the techniques correct so as to not injure yourself. If possible, hire a personal trainer (one you've evaluated and made sure they were credible) to teach you proper movements one-on-one.

Lifting not only changed my body but also my mind set. When doing cardio only I was convinced I was a "pear shape". Nope, Not after lifting regularly and progressively. I don't even believe in those body-shape terms anymore.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find that my midsection feels 'tighter' even if there's no visible muscle. The big changes have been in my arms and shoulders (it appears that I have deltoids) and my legs. There's definite muscle definition.

And I don't actually lift heavy. At this point, the most I pick up is 24lbs (2 x 12-lb dumbbells). I've worked my way up from 3-5lbs over the last six months or so.

I bought a book that gives great step-by-step progressive exercises for each muscle/muscle group, includes tons of full-color photos, and three sample workouts. I've mostly been using that.
  • 76chelyn
    76chelyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I hope the find a good personal trainer. I have a YMCA membership. Should I find someone outside of my gym or use one of their personal trainers?
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I love what weightlifting has done to my body. I still have 30 pounds to lose but when I view myself ....all my parts look strong. Not muscular, but strong and stable. My mindset is the biggest change...I no longer view the scale as my only tool. In fact, I rely on it the least these days.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nothing for weight loss except contributed to my calorie deficit (same as all exercise). Improved my look, balance, posture and functionality.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for inspiration.. check out this thread. These women are killing it!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1120789/females-only-lifting-weight-training-results#latest
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I feel strength training is more important than cardio/exercise. It goes Diet >>>>> Lifting > Exercise for me.

You should do all three for best results. It will give you the most tone, and help prevent skinny fat/loose skin because your retained muscles will keep the skin much much tighter. I feel like you peak really quickly with cardio, after you can do 40 minutes of it, I think it's better to switch to interval training and get that heart rate up to 90% in short bursts.