Eating at Restaurants

Options
I eat fine during the day and when I bring my lunch to work or make food but my real problem is eating at restaurants.

Does anyone have any tips on how to not over eat? I know restaurant food they serve such large portions and add in a glass of wine and everyone eating a lot, it can be really hard to stop!

Replies

• jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to go overboard...but go in with a plan!

1) look up the nutritional information online if you can, and plan what you're going to order in advance.

2) work out ahead of time to give yourself enough calories if you want something indulgent.

3) enjoy it even if you go over your calories - once in a while is NOT going to hurt you in the big picture.

4) ask them to prepare things a certain way. Ex: If it's a burger/sandwich, get the bun UNtoasted and without butter. Get salad dressings on the side. Etc.

5. ask for a "to go" box immediately and box up at least half of the dinner right away. That way you've got a reasonable portion to deal with on your plate.

6. Drink water ahead of time, and with your meal.

Enjoy!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I went to dinner Monday, and immediately drank a full glass of water before my meal arrived. I easily ate only 1/2 of my meal as I slowed it down and put my fork down a lot to give my stomach time to be full. I took 1/2 my meal home for lunch the next day.

Jmruef had some excellent suggestions.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat fine during the day and when I bring my lunch to work or make food but my real problem is eating at restaurants.

Does anyone have any tips on how to not over eat? I know restaurant food they serve such large portions and add in a glass of wine and everyone eating a lot, it can be really hard to stop!

When they bring your meal ask them to bring a box and immediately put at least half the meal in the box.

Ask a lot of questions about how they prepare the foods you want to eat and if they can alter it (How do you cook those veggies? Oh, may I have the steamed and plain instead? What's in that sauce, can you put it on the side or may I have another one?) You may be a pain in the *kitten*, but just ask a ton of questions about your food prep method, toppings, sauces, breadings or flour dustings.
  • jratkosky
    Options
    I use the take out box trick and will often order a small salad to fill up on before the meal comes out.
    I make sure that whatever I'm ordering would make a good lunch the next day. Some stuff does not hold over well.
    As soon as the meal comes, half (if not more) goes right in the box.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have different tips depending on the Cuisine but in general if you stick to the following food stuffs:

Appetisers:
    • Juices
    • Clear broth-type, boullion, consomme, vegetable, lentil, bean or pea soups
    • Gazpacho
    • Vegetable gumbo
    • Tossed garden or spinach salad
    • Fruit
    • Steamed seafood
    • Peel and eat shrimp
    • Fresh or steamed vegetables

Salad Bars:
    • Make a meal of it but limit the high-fat dressings and opt for the low-cal or non-fat dressings (preferably on the side). Always include a protein choice such as: cottage cheese, eggs, kidney beans or garbanzo beans (chick peas). Avoid high-fat cheeses, bacon bits, croutons, and salads prepared with mayonnaise.
    Salads:
    • House salad
    • Spinach salad
    • Blackened chicken salad
    • Mexican salad
    • Vegetable salads
    • Note: Ask that dressing be served on the side. Choose low-fat or non-fat dressings, lemon or vinegar

Breads and Starches:
    • Baked, broiled or steamed potatoes without sour cream, butter, etc.
    • Rice or pasta without oils, butter, etc.
    • Whole wheat or rye bread, pita, bagel or bread sticks without butter
    • Melba toast

Vegetables:
    • Plain, steamed, boiled, raw or stir-fried vegetables seasoned with herbs and spices instead of oil or butter

Breakfast:
    • Whether you’re eating in a diner, or a fast food restaurant…the key to healthy breakfast is avoiding adding fat to your food. So, avoid the fried foods, like fried eggs and fried potatoes. Try a couple of poached eggs on toast…hold the butter. Order a fruit cup or ½ grapefruit; request low fat milk. You can’t go wrong with hot oatmeal and fruit, or cold cereal is fine…try bran flakes or corn flakes with fruit. If you love eggs, order an eggwhite omelet and include any vegetables they have on hand, and ask them to prepare it “dry”. You can request lettuce and tomato instead of potatoes.

Desserts:
    • Fresh fruit or fruit compote
    • Sherbet, sorbet or fruit ice
    • Angel food or cake with fruit
    • Low-fat or non-fat frozen yogurt

Beverages:
    • Water
    • Diet soda or seltzer (plain or with fruit juice)
    • Iced tea, hot tea or coffee
    • Skim milk
    • Dry wines if you desire an alcoholic beverage
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to go overboard...but go in with a plan!

1) look up the nutritional information online if you can, and plan what you're going to order in advance.

2) work out ahead of time to give yourself enough calories if you want something indulgent.

3) enjoy it even if you go over your calories - once in a while is NOT going to hurt you in the big picture.

4) ask them to prepare things a certain way. Ex: If it's a burger/sandwich, get the bun UNtoasted and without butter. Get salad dressings on the side. Etc.

5. ask for a "to go" box immediately and box up at least half of the dinner right away. That way you've got a reasonable portion to deal with on your plate.

6. Drink water ahead of time, and with your meal.

Enjoy!

This exactly. If I look ahead and decide (sometimes I even ask MFP what to order) then I won't even open the menu so that I'm not tempted by something else.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    jmruef got it down!!! The only other thing I would add is to try to avoid heavy creams, sauces and dressings. Those tend to be killers.
  • kellbel82
    Options
    I'm printing out all this advice to post on my fridge to remember, this is great feedback thank you!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, wtg jmruef. I recently discovered that I prefer all my burgers "protein style" (as they say at Red Robin). I get them wrapped in lettuce or just without any sort of bun and eat it with a knife and fork. Easily cuts out 200 calories. If I'm feeling like splurging, I get the fries, if I feel like being REALLY good, I get a salad with oil and vinegar on the side. I also drink a glass of water for every glass of wine.
  • xDSaraxD
    xDSaraxD Posts: 12
    Options
    I understand how you feel, I work for a restaurant and am constantly surrounded by delicious food. The worst part is I get half off all my meals so when I'm hungry after my shift I tend to sit down and eat BUT I'm really blessed with the fact that the restaurant I work at has light style options- if I'm craving a steak I can get a six ounce sirloin, a salad with fat free dressing and some fresh mixed veggies at about 400kcal, we also just got tilapia on the menu which comes with veggies and rice for about 340kcal! YUM!