Birthday Cake

Options
kingfishersunite
kingfishersunite Posts: 12 Member
Hey Guys

I've apparently been struck with extreme indecisiveness and I'm trying to decide what kind of cake I want to make for my birthday. It doesn't have to be low calorie, although ideally it would be a fairly small cake since there's only two of us eating it.

I'm not too picky, or allergic to anything; just not a fan of the usual vanilla/chocolate cake.

Ideas?!

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    This year my husband bought me a chocolate cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting topped with chocolate truffles, it was amazing. lol

He requested for his birthday: A fruit tarte, so thats what I ordered and we will see how that goes next week lol
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I always say get me a Cupcake and stick a candle in it. I do not want Cake hanging around calling my name.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    Oh also the year before that I had an almond flavored cake with a raspberry filling, the cake was extremely small (theres only two of us in my house too) probably enough to serve 6, and it was easy to fit in cake for 3 days into my budget.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have a birthday coming up too. When I was losing weight I made cupcakes. Just enough for the people I was celebrating with and one for myself. I didn't want to get tempted eating extras.

Last year on vacation I split a yummy cheesecake slice with my guy.

Now that I'm maintaining I make my own regular cake from scratch. It's small (3 layers using 6 inch cake pans), but pretty and tasty. :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake.

Alternately, ditch the cake and have pie.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake is good, you can make a similar thing using parsnips too.

Fruit cake, mincemeat cake if you've some kicking around (I always buy a couple of jars when they get marked down after Christmas!).

Whatever you make, I'd scale it down to only use one egg for the 2 of you, and in a 6'' pan. If you want really small you can make a cake in a mug in the microwave :)
  • kingfishersunite
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I have a birthday coming up too. When I was losing weight I made cupcakes. Just enough for the people I was celebrating with and one for myself. I didn't want to get tempted eating extras.

Last year on vacation I split a yummy cheesecake slice with my guy.

Now that I'm maintaining I make my own regular cake from scratch. It's small (3 layers using 6 inch cake pans), but pretty and tasty. :)

What's your cake from scratch?
  • kingfishersunite
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Carrot cake.

Alternately, ditch the cake and have pie.

I thought about that.... but pie crust is harder to make than cake. But a good banana cream pie would be awesome.
  • kingfishersunite
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi
    I always say get me a Cupcake and stick a candle in it. I do not want Cake hanging around calling my name.

That's not a bad idea, but then I'll have all the other cupcakes calling my name ;)
    The stores that sell cupcakes around here are not very good - stale/bland cupcakes with a tonne of buttercream (not my favourite).
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for an Oreogasm cake I want to try wanna a peanut butter chocolate chip Bundt cake with chocolate and peanut butter ganache
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's my daughter's birthday today and she will be having red velvet cake with vanilla icing. Cake is good!
  • helena99716
    helena99716 Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ideas: chocolate cake with coconut filling, or a schwarzwald cake, maybe? That one is super easy to make, too. They still have chocolate crusts though, but most of the flavour comes from the filling. :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake, topped with fresh berries & a dollop of real whipped cream.
    Pretty low in calories if you don't use whipped cream on top.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bee Sting Cake https://www.marthastewart.com/949556/bee-sting-cake
    It is a mix of a cake and a sweet bread with pastry cream in the middle and honeyed almonds on top. I made it for my birthday about three years ago BFC and it was amazeballs.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    These all sound so good, but I'm a big fan of German Chocolate Cake.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I just had my birthday cake. My SO was making banana/apple bread anyway so we just used that. She whipped up a batch of peanut butter icing for topping.

It was delicious and now I can eat my birthday cake for breakfast.
  • aprilzabeth
    aprilzabeth Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My birthday is coming up too and I am making a strusel coffee cake. The year before was strawberry shortcake. You could try lemon yogurt cake. Yum yum.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Cheesecake or Tiramisu!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    This year my husband bought me a chocolate cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting topped with chocolate truffles, it was amazing. lol

I would like your husband to buy my next birthday cake. The man obviously has excellent taste.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

I would like your husband to buy my next birthday cake. The man obviously has excellent taste.

Bahaha he definitely does!