Recording Weight/Strength Sets?

Options
When I complete a set with weights at the gym and it takes 1min for a complete set then rest and repeat x5 complete sets do you record 5min or 10 min with recovery? Just interested in how MFP credits.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    There's very little calorie "credit" for weightlifting. You can choose to add something you can use "circuit training" under cardio exercises. This really is for people who minimize rest between sets.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are weights and I don't record them in MFP. I've found that it matters more that I concentrate on what I eat those days (ie, filling and proteiny food), rather than attempt to boost my calories for the day.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I use the UA Record app, which doesn't differentiate between lifting and resting. But I ignore the calories added anyways, unless it's for cardio.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I use Garmin Connect to record the weight in the bar and number of reps. This puts the fact that I lifted on my calendar and let's me run a report of my progress (total volume for each lift) over time.

Calories for lifting aren't much, and that's not why you lift anyway.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I really keep moving during sets rest is minimal. I am getting stronger and real definition. So that is good. Stay strong.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I made my own entry in the cardio section called Bodybuilding and used the numbers from this site.

I then input my minutes training.

Look under "weightlifting"

nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about how many minutes to log under the "strength training" choice in the cardiovascular exercise section, I would log the total number of minutes your workout takes. If you start lifting weights at 7 p.m. and finish at 7:30 p.m., that would be 30 minutes total. Log it, eat it, and adjust calories up/down based on results after four weeks.