Broccoli Stems

Options
Does anybody have advice on how to enjoy broccoli stems? My whole life I've been cutting off and eating the flower, and throwing the stems in the compost. Time to learn to love these!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just eat them. If you eat the broccoli raw, you may have to peel it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing stir-fry or something with cooked broccoli, I will often just slice the stems and throw them in with the broccoli. If it's a soup or puree, I cook them alongside the florets and blend them. I will sometimes julienne them and eat them lightly dressed as a salad too. @kommodevaran is right that peeling them often helps.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 8,001 Member
    Options
    I'll slice them up thin and steam with the flowers. I bet they would work nicely in a stir fry.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Peel off the exterior, and stir fry with garlic, ginger, and oyster (or faux-oyster) sauce. They will take longer to become tender than the florets, but are delicious and I really like the difference in texture.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Broccoli slaw. So yummy.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I put broccoli in stir fry with peas, mushrooms, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, zucchini and squash.
  • love2bfit2017
    love2bfit2017 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Creamy broccoli soup. Shred into small pieces and use in slaws & salads. They are going to have the same flavor, but the texture can be a bit tough.

And u can make that creamy broccoli soup creamy w the help of cauliflower! Double bonus!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've just had turkey chilli with them in.

You just chop it small then cook it any way you like.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    The key for me was cutting them in thin slices....yum to all the ideas above!
  • daytonajan
    daytonajan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just do a light peel of the stem to remove the bumpy areas and they are tender and delicious! I eat raw and steamed.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Get a dog. I hate the stems, so I give them to my dog, she loves them.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Peel them and cook them like the rest of the broccoli. They're my favorite part, especially when roasted (they get super sweet and nutty).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Peel them and cook them like the rest of the broccoli

^This!

It's a waste to throw the stem away. You're just throwing away $ if you do.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I peel them and eat them raw or sometimes I steam them. They’re my favourite part of the broccoli.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    It's so fascinating to me to read how different people view food around here. I've spent my life trying to learn to eat the flower part without making faces. I love the stems!
  • Tim_Veal
    Tim_Veal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your ideas. I won't be throwing away broccoli stems anymore!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Creamy broccoli soup. Shred into small pieces and use in slaws & salads. They are going to have the same flavor, but the texture can be a bit tough.

just made a pot of broccoli soup for lunch and dinner. once they're pureed, the stems are just as good a part of the soup as the flowers.

i often snack on the stems when using broccoli as a component in other dishes. i like the crunch.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    They're my favorite part. Look for broccoli with lots of chunky stems at the grocery. Peel them and sauté them in 1 tsp to 1 tbsp real butter. Tender, mild, and no seeds stuck in my teeth!