Are these statements true?

Options
I am currently following a fitness trainer on instagram and he shared a post and thought it was interesting ywp46rno6x8d.jpeg
and made me a little scared.

Is what he’s claiming true?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. So long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. No foods or ingredients magically stop that from happening.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Load of rubbish...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    No...and honestly, there are tons of yogurt out there with nothing added. I eat 0% Fage Greek yogurt...it has no sugar or HFCS or any other additive and it has live cultures.

My whole wheat bread does not have HFCS either...preservatives like sodium don't get stored as fat either.

I don't eat cereal bars mostly because I've never seen the point.

Most trainers aren't experts on nutrition and just tout whatever the latest woo is. They are specialized in exercise and fitness, not nutrition.

This guy sounds like he's fresh out of the woo machine...
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    OMG, no.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow...yah no. I just ate 100gram of skyr yogurt for 10 grams of protein and 90 calories...awesomeness
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If it sounds ridiculous, it is ridiculous. No. Don't follow that kind of nonsense on IG.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    All that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. What you eat matters for nutrition, satiety, health, and other matters. But if you're eating (picks number at random) 1400 calories to lose 1lb/week, it makes no difference for weight loss purposes whether those calories come from yogurt cheese mixed with crumbled cereal bar and eaten in a sandwich on whole wheat bread or PB&J, lean turkey, deli cold cuts, egg salad... you get the picture.

That being said, a 200-calorie cereal bar might leave you feeling less full than a 200-calorie fruit salad. Or it might not. Satiety is pretty individual.

Six days a week, my go-to breakfast is Greek yogurt over grapes with a granola bar crumbled on top. Depending on the bar, it's about 310-325 calories. I've dropped 90 lbs in a year.

Also, there is nothing you can eat that will make your tummy flatten. Where the weight comes off first is mostly genetics/luck of the draw. You can do strength training to preserve your abdominal muscle so that when the fat comes off, what's underneath will look fit. But there's no way to spot-reduce fat.

ETA: If your body "can't recognize certain ingredients," it excretes them. Gourmet chefs sometimes put gold dust on chocolate pudding to make it look fancy. THAT is an ingredient your body can't recognize... but it doesn't store it as fat. It just sends it out with the rest of the waste. The only thing your body will store as fat is a surplus of calories, no matter what food they come from.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    No, they are not true. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight eating whatever you chose to eat. I would find someone else to follow on instagram.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the brand. I don't eat cereal bars because most of them have very little nutritional value (as in the specific macros I'm looking for to be clear). I'd rather eat a protein bar. I like yogurt but don't buy it often, and when I do I buy the more natural versions of greek or light greek yogurt. As far as bread I stick to whole grain lower calorie stuff. It's all a choice though, eat what you want. The only reason to change what you eat is if it's not giving you the specific nutrients you want in your diet.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I eat all those things... I'm losing weight O.O
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Liar liar pants of fire. Not true at all.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on allergies. I have a coworker that's allergic to eggs so for her eggs are "unhealthy".
    I find I have a bad reaction to products containing copious amounts of HFCS so I try to avoid it. But I'm not gonna jump down someone's throat if they want to consume those things. That's up to them.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Also my yogurt has no HFCS/sugar, and even still, sugar doesn't just magically turn to fat.

I eat these things almost everyday. Clearly had no issue shedding fat.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Complete and utter horse manure. And that's putting it nicely.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Also my yogurt has no HFCS/sugar, and even still, sugar doesn't just magically turn to fat.

I eat these things almost everyday. Clearly had no issue shedding fat.

Lies!!!! :p Because lactose
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    wow...yah no. I just ate 100gram of skyr yogurt for 10 grams of protein and 90 calories...awesomeness

The vanilla bean is my FAV!!!!