Need some advice and inspiration for home workouts!!

Options
Hi. I am turning 55 this year and my body is sure letting me know! I am wanting to lose at least 15 lbs and it is the worse around my middle - menopause, etc. (red wine... lol)

I walk my big dog every morning for at least 30 minutes so that is a bit of exercise... I used to do classes at least 3x per week - aerobics, spin, cross train you name it.

Over the last 6 months - life has got in the way and I don't do much other than walk my dog and the odd weights or calisthenics here at home. I cant really afford classes and am finding them more difficult now with all the 20 year olds.

My job (dog grooming) is physical and I stand most of the day... I am done my day usually by 2pm and usually try to "rest" a bit before making supper, having a glass of wine and watching Ellen... lol.

I need some motivation/ideas of what to do for 30/40 mins every day.... I know what I should be doing!!! But I just cant get my *kitten* in gear.... Ideas? How did you do it?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you don't need to exercise if your only goal is to lose weight. You can do that all through calorie control.

A 30 minute walk every day is actually pretty good. That said, motivation is internal...nothing we say will make you want to exercise more. You've got to find that for yourself. My motivation came from how great I felt after losing 15 pounds via diet only. Exercise allowed me to amplify my results and to get excited about getting healthy.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Maybe find something fun, they have good dance workout dvd's, even bellydancing ones geared to weightloss. Best thing I learned was you don't have to kill yourself for a good workout.
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hi there, check out link below -Haasfit have a wide variety of exercise vids on there website/youtube
    http://hasfit.com/
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Working out at home requires no equipment.

Bodyweight squats and lunges
    Pushups
    Dips between chairs
    Pullups or chinups (inexpensive doorway pullup bar)
    Calf raises either both feet or single leg.
    Isometrics as a supplement once a week for strength
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do videos. I have found some at my local library, but they also do inter library loans. You can also find some on YouTube. I love turbo jam, Shaun T, the Firm, popsugar, Jillian Michaels...
  • groovingroomer
    groovingroomer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will check out some of these videos!! My weight does not go down sticking to my calories goal of 1200. Will keep at it longer. I do cheat on weekends. Nothing crazy tho.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike Training Club app. You can tailor the exercise to your needs and I found it pretty good for guidance and stuff
  • aboston5
    aboston5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills on demand and love the workouts. Before that I did workout videos on DVD and on YouTube. There is a lot of variety on YouTube!
  • MindfulDecision
    MindfulDecision Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You're likely not seeing progress because the cheat days is eliminating any calorie deficit you've achieved. Or, you aren't counting the calories correctly. To see sustainable loss, you must make a commitment and abide by it almost religiously.
  • leann2008
    leann2008 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do beachbody workouts from home! I love the workouts and there are so many to choose from. They have everything
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I need some motivation/ideas of what to do for 30/40 mins every day....

Cycling ... because I love it! :)

I also incorporate exercise throughout my day ... walking as part of my commute, walking for errands, getting up a couple times a day and climbing stairs.

And then I might mix it up sometimes. I've got weights downstairs, and a few handweights around the main living area. I've got a bicycle on the trainer for indoor cycling when the weather is bad. My husband and I might go hiking sometimes ... or canoeing ... or swimming ...

We gave up our full gym membership at a beautiful but very expensive gym, however we drop in at the university gym (I'm a part time student so I get in for half price) once in a while on bad weather days.

And as for cheating on weekends ... that's how I attained my highest weight ever. :)

• groovingroomer
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for sharing your tips! I know my cheat days are killing me... before I turned 50, I could cheat on weekends and still stay at my target. My body says NO MORE.... Damn!!! I need to get back to being my usual very exercise, active self.... in a rut. Going to walk my dog today, as I do everyday, and will throw in a bike workout or check out some of your great ideas online. Happy Friday!!! ;)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You're likely not seeing progress because the cheat days is eliminating any calorie deficit you've achieved. Or, you aren't counting the calories correctly. To see sustainable loss, you must make a commitment and abide by it almost religiously.

This.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "I know what I should be doing!!! But I just cant get my *kitten* in gear" If you know what you need to do, and you claim to want to improve, I don't see why you just don't find an internet workout program, I've found FitnessBlender.com to be helpful, and do it. You, as all of us, will do what you want, and need, to do. You go to work everyday, feed and bath yourself, take care of your home life, tossing in a workout just fits in. If you want to, do it. If you're satisfied with your current situation, continue. What more "motivation" do you need than your self expressed desire to improve?
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yoga - I'd try to go to a few Yoga basics classes or take a beginners series so a teacher can instruct on form, but after that there's tons of yoga videos online and even more yoga flow outline ideas on Pinterest/Instagram.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I found some great free yoga videos on a YouTube channel called Journey Junkie. I think the name of the instructor is Allie - she posts new mtrl all the time. You can also sign up for her free emailed programs on yoga postures etc. I prefer this to a regular class because there were so many postures I couldn't do initially because I was so stiff and weak. Have made rapid progress! Btw, I bought my mat and blocks at a discount store.
  • nicoleseph0321
    nicoleseph0321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned FitnessBlender.com already, but I love them! And you can filter their videos by length, intensity, type of exercise, weights or no equipment, etc. They're great to do at home and they have a huge variety of videos, all free
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned FitnessBlender.com already, but I love them! And you can filter their videos by length, intensity, type of exercise, weights or no equipment, etc. They're great to do at home and they have a huge variety of videos, all free

Was just checking to make sure FitnessBlender had been mentioned! Great variety, free, and helpful filters and searches.
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Beachbody on Demand (T25, Insanity, Workouts from 21 Day Fix).

In addition, Daily Burn is great; they have programs and live classes ( can also be accessed later).

Both programs have trial periods. My subscriptions are through “apple” but there are other subscription methods.
  • groovingroomer
    Options
    hi there, check out link below -Haasfit have a wide variety of exercise vids on there website/youtube
    http://hasfit.com/

Thanks for this! I have checked these guys out and like the free friendly format. Have started the 30 day get fit challenge. On day 4. Rest day- Thanks again!!