Will Power?

Options
So I currently weigh 163.2 lbs (just under 5' 9") and am unhappy at this weight. I'm not in shape and am having trouble controlling my will power to stay away from bad foods.

It's not my first time at the rodeo - at my heaviest I was nearly 200 and at my lightest I was 138. I've done the weight loss thing before, but something about this time I can't seem to get in the swing of it.

For the past several months I have lost a couple lbs and then it comes back because I get out of the habit of eating right.

Any advice for regaining will power to exercise and eat right? I'm getting married October 2018 and I'd love to get down to around 145!

<3

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster, but I also had a thought...when you need a little extra motivation, what about going wedding dress shopping?
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What has helped me it to map out my days food, meals, snacks, drinks and all. It give me a roadmap for the day. Also, I started out by just walking for exercise and am recently adding back in body weight strength training, some weights and spinning. I am not yet at my goal weight but I feel this is more long term than anything I have tried before.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It's not really will power that you need. It's to decide that losing weight is more important than eating and that you want to exercise more than not. That's not worded very well, but you get what I mean.

Set a schedule and go do some kind of physical activity that you enjoy. Plan out your food in advance and stick with that plan. The decision and commitment to that decision is far more important to your success than the very abstract idea of will power.

It will help a lot to divorce yourself from ideas like good and bad food. Decide what you want to eat and make a plan it eat it within your calorie goals. Quit thinking about exercise and start thinking about physical activity you like to do and that won't seem like exercise which I get the impression you think of as a chore. I'm the same way so I get it, but it's holding you back so let it go.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue many, many times over the years. This time I seem to be doing very well. I think the biggest difference now is that I have a major goal (to run a marathon in January) and the desire to perform and feel well doing it has pushed me to make healthier choices in every area of my life, especially nutrition. I am not capable of adequately training and recovering on ice cream, candy, and fried stuff. Last time I worked out after eating sweets my blood sugar crashed and I nearly passed out.

My advice would be to find an adventurous goal, something you can get into, something you can't easily renege on, preferably something that isn't just about weight. Train for a mud run, a mountain hike on your honeymoon, a diving expedition or a bike tour. Incorporate it into your lifestyle to make it a habit. Slowly the activity will become the reward, and fueling it right will become a higher priority than eating foods with sub-par nutrition and feeling cruddy about it after.

Good luck to you!
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Will power is something you work at. How much do you want it. I had to start baby steps. Just like you, I've lost a lot of weight before but gain most of it except 10 lbs. The hardest thing is starting again. I took a different approach this time. I took my time and prepared. Meal prep worked big time for me. I eliminated one bad habit and added a good one. I kept small goals. If temptation comes from associating or going out I limited those outing at first until I knew I could control my food choices when I did go out. You have to test for yourself what you can do, or works for you. Also, Keep thinking how much do you want it that your willing to work at it.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    If you call the food you like "bad food" and the food you hate "eating right", you're going to need way more willpower than anybody has. You'll figure it out.

This is soo well said it's worth being read once again...

• eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    First I would want to know if you prepare your food, or grabbing restaurant food. It’s amazing just how much food you can eat, and maintain a deficit, when you prepare your own food. Using sound nutrition guidelines, cooking for yourself, goes a long way, to solving the problem of will power. It will also leave room for treats here and there. Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest setting small weekly goals that are well within your reach. You are within normal BMI either way so you might benefit more from fitness goals that will tighten up some of your flab.

Every week, evaluate how close you got to what you wanted. If your goal was over-ambitious, set a more realistic goal. If you sailed through, keep doing what you were doing or up your game a little bit.

It is hard to stay motivated for a twenty pound loss "some day", but deciding to stay within your calorie goals for the day, say, five days out of seven, is immediate and achievable.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You can still eat 'bad food' just in moderation. You just can't have too many calories! If you restrict yourself from 'bad' food then you're more likely to give up the diet or binge a lot more often!
  • emilynelson58
    emilynelson58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. If you really want that food that you think is "bad", just consider if you want it more than your goal. If you really do and won't stop thinking about it then just go for a smaller portion. If your goal is more important at that time, then you also have your answer. (Just my thoughts)
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Don't keep junk in the house is the easiest thing I could probably say, and there are a ton of healthier recipes for "junk foods" that you might be craving 1 - It will take effort to make the recipes which helps because sometimes I am craving junk, but don't feel like making a batch of healthy cookies or brownies...but 2- when I do I make them in smaller portions that I can control.