Noodles

Options
I love noodles, I want them to be in and around me at all times. Does anyone have suggestions for a healthier alternative to your plain ol' run of the mill pasta. Think more in teh context of soup. I also live in Canada and am open to all types of noodle. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    By "healthier," do you mean lower calorie? Containing nutrients that regular noodles don't have? Something else?

I like regular pasta, but I'll also mix it up with kelp noodles (low calorie), shiritaki noodles (low calorie), zucchini/cucumber noodles (low calorie), black bean pasta (higher protein, sometimes more fiber), and soba noodles (higher protein).
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The lowest calorie with the highest nutriants possible I guess. It is a lot to ask I know. I tend to be more of a volume eater, but if the nutriants are good I am fine with adding the extra calories.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    love my pasta!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Pasta is predominately a starch...no pasta is going to have a ton of other nutrients...that doesn't make them inherently unhealthy...just a starch.

Shirataki noodles are low calorie and low carb but don't contain much nutrition either...they're nothing like pasta though...basically only decent with East Asian cuisine...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you'll pry my noodles out my cold dead hands :)

but in all seriousness - i do a mix of roasted sweet potato and a serving of noodles together that has some alfredo sauce on top - fills me up more than just pasta
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love my pasta.. but it can be calorie dense especially if you like to eat a lot. You can try spirilized veggie noodles.. or in Canada NuPasta is good.. it is a type of shirataki noodle, I really like it. I haven't tried it in soup though.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bulk Barn has this Organic Red lentil penne... yum! 25 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber in every 100 grams of pasta. And I DO mean pasta. It doesn’t taste like cardboard like some other diet noodles.
  • haileybeez
    haileybeez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    0070heipregd.jpg
    yi249ivpla8z.jpg
    I use these. It's only the second time I've bought time but I remember them being so good, especially with Asian type dishes. Anyone heard of them?
  • Foodfavor
    Options
    wrote:
    I use these. It's only the second time I've bought time but I remember them being so good, especially with Asian type dishes. Anyone heard of them?
    Thank you! I will keep my eyes out for these. What store did you buy them from? Hopefully I can find it in little Victoria BC.
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I used to eat the shiritake noodles maybe eight or nine years ago. loved them! Then one day, they tasted like slimy fish and I could not shake that. Maybe I'll try again because I, like the OP, love love love love love love pasta!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to mix things up a little, how about using beans or whole grains? Like hot black bean and pepper, buckwheat, or lentils?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    zucchini noodles, sauteed + patted dry I find helps them hold onto cheesy sauces. Really low cal noodles so you can have extra cheese ;)
  • Foodfavor
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thanks for the tips. Again, it can be hard to find the "cool" healthy noodles like Zeroodle and stuff in a small-ish Canadian town. I am excited to try these suggestions.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If you mean less of a calorie bomb but tasting as good, nah. I just budget for small amounts of pasta.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about egg noodles? They might have a little more protein.
  • Foodfavor
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How about egg noodles? They might have a little more protein.

I do love a good egg noodle. I will check out the nutritional facts when I grocery shop tomorrow :smiley:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I just eat regular pasta or egg noodles combined with nutritious foods, like mixed with veggies with some lean protein on the side. I mix broccoli florettes with penne and marinara, spiralized zucchini in egg noodles and beef gravy, frozen corn and peas with elbow noodles and balsamic vinegraitte. I also like Barilla protein pasta, it's the same cals as their regular pasta I think but has a bit more protein.
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Foodfavor wrote: »
    You guys are awesome, thanks for the tips. Again, it can be hard to find the "cool" healthy noodles like Zeroodle and stuff in a small-ish Canadian town. I am excited to try these suggestions.

I had never heard of the Zeroodle product and I have to try some! I just ordered some online. They look fabulous!