Calorie count or low carb high protein?

Options
Hi just wondering if anyone had any advice.... I want to loose a little more weight, however I feel like I'm loosing weight but still hold quite a high % of body fat. Can anyone advise what to work on? Thanks, Jen

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating in a calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Eating low carb can help some sustain the deficit (though it's generally high fat, not high protein), but it isn't necessary unless for medical reasons.

As for your body fat percentage...how much protein are you getting now? Are you doing any sort of strength/resistance training to preserve muscle?
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Both but make sure you do something that is sustainable for you.
    You need to count calories either way.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've recently heard recommendations for eating a high protein diet. I'm sure someone will be recommending something else next year. But whatever you go with you must eat fewer calories than you burn in order to lose weight.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 calories and shoot for 100 grams protein
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jenbenno wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone had any advice.... I want to loose a little more weight, however I feel like I'm loosing weight but still hold quite a high % of body fat. Can anyone advise what to work on? Thanks, Jen

1. Are you getting a calorie deficit?
    2. Are you working out? I would suggest lifting weighs versus cardio, because it seems as though you are suggesting that you are losing weight but remaining the same shape (not toning up). Correct me if I am reading your post wrong though.
    3. I would suggest more whole foods in your diet too, if you don't have your diet set up that way. I feel like you are able to eat more for less calories, depending on which end of the whole foods spectrum you are geared towards...but it also helps your body. For me personally I feel best on a whole foods diet, because it is less refined and processed things in my system. I go back and forth with it though, because...well balance is sometimes difficult.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jenbenno wrote: »

Calorie deficit will be key. Also to lower bodyfat, I would recommend following a progressive lifting program and getting adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight/goal weight)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JRSINAZ wrote: »
    I do 1200 calories and shoot for 100 grams protein

That is really low for calories and protein levels for a male.

Op, what are your stats and goals? What is your current workout and calorie plan?

Btw, calories > all for weight loss.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Both. You can't just eat low-carb, high-fat and expect to lose weight if you're not in a caloric deficit. All that keto does is make it easier to stick to your calorie limit. Well, that and the energy boost and mental clarity, etc. I've lost 70ish pounds since August, but I always counted the calories. Don't overdo it, don't get impatient... do what works for you and stick with it. You'll get there, but you don't want to sabotage yourself by rushing or overthinking about all of it.