Anyone successfully lose weight 70-80 yrs old?

Options
jelleigh
jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
edited November 2017 in Success Stories
Hopefully it's not offensive to use the word elderly, but I have a friend who is somewhere in the 70-80 range and he insists that gaining weight as you get older is inevitable and that anyone older is destined to be fat. I know this to be untrue but I would love to have some success stories to share with him. I realize that an online app might not be the tool of choice for many in that range, but I thought I would ask anyhow. (Actually I think I would really personally find it helpful since consideration if the topic made me realize that I too thought that for each decade it ma6 be normal to be a bit heavier. Ie: I though I should set my weight loss goal higher than my previous "healthy weights" because I'm older now)
Any success stories from our more mature members?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe change the title to 'anyone successfully lost weight in their 70s and 80s'?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My 80 year old mother in law is far from fat and still goes on 10k charity walks with me.

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    maybe change the title to 'anyone successfully lost weight in their 70s and 80s'?

Thanks! I've updated
  • Z4beamer
    Z4beamer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have logged for 365 days this coming weekend - started 240 , now 197. Just cico
  • Z4beamer
    Z4beamer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that, turned 68 in October
  • mikusfikus
    mikusfikus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am not in that age range but I listened to a podcast today on half-size me that had a Special guest in that age range that was interviewed. She spoke about her success story and it was very insightful. She also has a podcast of her own so maybe that would be something your friend could listen to as well. The podcast I listened to was called, “282 – Half Size Me: How Tapping Into Your Creativity Will Help You Lose Weight And Maintain With Pat.” You can just search it in Podcasts on iTunes or on your phone if you have an apple. In the Podcast the host references the elderly ladie’s podcast. I don’t remember the name specifically so your friend would have to listen there to find out the name and look her up. Hope that helps!
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think it is more of a challenge for older people to lose or maintain weight because our BMR's drop every year and we require less and less calories to live, yet our appetites and eating habits remain the same. No one ever told me that every time I have a birthday I should drop my daily intake of calories. Over the years the weight adds up and our bodies slow down. In addition many people become more sedentary as they age, especially after they retire and fail to find new activities other than couch potato. Believe me it is easy to do. Age does cause more fatigue and fatigue causes people to be more sedentary. On the other hand being sedentary causes a person to feel more fatigue. It is a downward cycle. Certainly health problems and pain can contribute to an older person's activity level dropping as well. That being said, older people can lose and maintain healthy weights and lifestyles. Understanding that eating less and increasing activity will cause a person to lose weight no matter what age they are is imperative to motivating a person to try and change. I'm "only" 63, but have lost weight in the past and am currently losing weight at a good rate with a few simple lifestyle changes. This time around I'm trying to increase my every day activity levels, NEAT, so that when I meet my weight goal I won't have to settle at eating 1300 calories per day the rest of my life. I know I don't want to be my mom who is 91, overweight for most of her adult life, and now at a point where her knees have failed and she cannot get up on her own without me lifting her.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There is an inspirational lady called Ernestine Shepherd & at 81yrs young is in the Guiness book of records as the oldest female bobybuilder. Not suggesting your friend takes up professional bobybuilding but just a beautiful example to us all that age is just a number

wwwernestineshepherd.net
  • vasbyt77
    vasbyt77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's most encouraging to hear. I'm 81 and in pain, but now I'm going to try and walk a little bit every day.
    Thanks mohanj.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm 63. 5'10". Male. Been overweight most of my life. Up and down. I remember weighing around 210 circa 2004. Started a serious weight loss program in March. Started at 249.5 and have lost 40+ pounds so far. Long term goal is 175. I don't care if it takes me another year to get there.

Yes, older people can lose weight. It is a challenge, but nothing worth doing is easy.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, if I see a group of elderly people- in their 80s at least, they are usually very thin. I don't see many overweight or obese elderly people, and I believe it is because people who are overweight tend to die younger.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm 70 years old and have lost 47lbs, I have logged into MFP for 1540 consequetive days, weight is slower to come of but you have to keep at it and keep yourself healthy.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 and losing weight at the rate of about a pound a week simply by trying to eat at a 500 calorie deficit. I've lost just over 30 pounds since June.

I am following your lead Heidi.....what is the total lbs you are shooting for?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Not that many 70-80 yr olds here based on the posts I've read. Maybe they're lurking. However, there are lots of 60 year olds here, as the posts above indicate.

I just turned 67 and lost 38# in 6 months starting 18 months ago. Also, dropped by BF from +20% down to 10% in that time periof. Have been in maintenance for the past 12 months.

I lift weights and do some body weight exercises and cardio (mainly hiking and rowing) to stay strong and fit. I can lift at the elite and advanced level when compared w/other men my age & weight based on the Strength Levels website database.

So, I definitely do not think that age is an excuse for gaining weight and/or not staying fit.

To lose and maintain weight at any age, you just need to follow CICO.

And, in order to stay strong and fit (so that you don't have to use a wheelchair or walker in your old age) you just need to exercise enough to achieve your fitness goals while taking into account any medical conditions and/or physical lmitations.

It's pretty much as simple as that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!