Sausages and Bacon

Options
13»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    You can buy nitrite free bacon

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing. Look at the fine print. They all say something like

nitrite-free*

*except for nitrite naturally occurring in celery.

It doesn't say "except for some miniscule amount in celery that -- for some bizarre reason having nothing to do with the nitrites -- we pile on top of our bacon while we're curing it, and we just can't help it if a tiny bit of nitrites from the celery makes it way into the bacon." Notice they don't say "50% less nitrites than bacon that isn't cured using celery juice."

If nitrites are a health concern, I don't see why it's less of a concern if it comes from celery.

Given that the well-known study on increased cancer risk from processed meat works out to one percentage point increase in risk if you're eating it every day (which I don't -- other than coffee, there's practically nothing I eat every day or nearly every day), I don't worry about the nitrites.

Plus, I figure I have a good chance at a genetic resistance to cancer from cured meat. My grandfather pretty much ate cured meat three times a day for all of his adult life, and he was cancer-free when a pharmacist's mistake poisoned him in his 90s.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    minstine wrote: »
    Is it OK "health wise" to eat one or two bacon strips or 2 sausages a day? I eat one or the other with 2 hard boiled eggs everyday. It really helps with me with the protein amount. I can't have dairy, and soy or whey protein powders and i don't feel like eating chicken for breakfast.

(I personally find turkey burgers and sausages/links can really assist in hitting daily protein goals. And have you tried the rice or pea protein powders? I have zero experience with either to know if not only palatable, but worth it from a calorie/carb standpoint.)

Sure. Why wouldn't it? I have never followed a low fat diet in my life and never will as I am attached (literally and figuratively) to my gall bladder. :) Nor is eating cured meats on occasion the reason I am fat. In fact, the first diet I ever went on was low carb and I lost a lot of weight eating them far more often than I do now.

In fact, I plan on eating two strips of bacon (streaky) and two sausage links a day for the next 1-2 weeks as part of a pseudo-English Breakfast (I have *got* to stop perving the Outlander Kitchen recipe site...it led to me learning about EB's). :yum:

q0f63qmyqkwh.png

(I only eat two meals + a snack and a protein shake a day for a 1600 calories/day and, yes, all that fits it as well as my macros split targets - woot! - it is going to be glorious.)

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    They're fine as long as they fit your macros. There are also variations of sausage and bacon that are lower in fat or salt if that's the issue. I usually brown breakfast sausage like ground beef, drain and rinse it, and store it in the fridge to add to my eggs in the morning (2Tbsp=1oz).
  • Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tofu is good for protein. I like to add to stir fry.
    Some brands don’t agree with me but others do.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Being older (60), and having high cholesterol, I don't eat these- chicken/turkey sausage or turkey bacon is best I get. Yep, I'm jealous....