Recommended Protein?

Options
I'm following a 1200 calorie per day diet. My recommended protein is 45 but I can't seem to stay that low...I'm usually up around 65-70. Is it bad to eat too much protein?

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    More protein shouldn't hurt unless you have kidney problems.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find most of the time my protein is over too....
  • ItsMeTime
    Options
    I try to follow more of a "zone" approach so i eat like a TON of protein, about twice what yall are eating
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    No that's better mp setting is low for protein
  • dmarsek
    dmarsek Posts: 8
    Options
    I've had the same problem, but I've concentrated on lean proteins like egg whites, grilled chicken, turkey breast, etc. I'm certainly not an expert, but I would think as long as you keep the fat down it's okay to have higher proteins.

I'm not aware of the potential kidney issues as the last reply suggests, but that's good information.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Protein builds and repairs muscle tissue from working out. Muscles burn fat, big time! So no, it wont hurt you. I am normally over my "recommended" protein mark by double or triple amounts. Protein is your friend!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much and what kind of exercise you get, what else you eat, and other things. But I have a hard time not going over too. I nearly always do.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to be over on Protein than under. I wish the font color was a little different. Most people associate red with something bad. I mean, I'm always under on fiber and and over on protein. To me, fiber should be in red and protein should be in green. Right?

I wish there were more analytical tools on this site. Or maybe an "advice engine" that doles out some nutritional advice for when I don't feel like looking at a worksheet.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    too much isn't bad, but be sure to keep your fiber up as well. too much protein can cause bowel issues, mainly constipation.
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein is Ok, but watch your fat levels. Be sure to eat lean proteins.
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie goal also but I found that the ratios for the macros were high for carbs and pretty low for protein so I customized it to better suit me. Stick to low fat options for proteins and you are fine