Protein Powders and Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
I've been in a crazy flurry of job changes, etc and my eating has definitely suffered as a result. I'm thinking about investing in some meal replacement shakes to use JUST in case.

Now, I'd much rather do green smoothies with veggies, fruit, unsweetened hemp protein powder, pea or dairy milk, and/or yogurt, but I'm looking for some ideas for protein powders/drink mixes that can be thrown into a blender bottle. That way, I have an option for days when I accidentally sleep in, or a back-up if my lunch plans fall through. This would be something to add into a rotation- not to completely replace meals- just to supplement meals that I would be skipping otherwise.

My mom does Isagenix, and I know there's Shakeology out there as well. However, I have a sensitivity to artificial/zero calorie sweeteners INCLUDING stevia. Prior to this sensitivity developing, I actually enjoyed the taste of chocolate Slimfast drinks (not as a dietary supplement... I drank them like chocolate milk).

Any suggestions? Again, these would be used a few times a week (ie: something to grab with an apple as I run out the door when my boss calls and asks if I can come in an hour early) in addition to a varied, whole foods-diet.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds like shakes aren't really convenient for you, so does it have to be a shake? How about a can of tuna? Bag of nuts?
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It sounds like shakes aren't really convenient for you, so does it have to be a shake? How about a can of tuna? Bag of nuts?

Problem is, it's a lot easier for me to drink something at work than it is to eat, so shakes would be my best option.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like the MyProtein Impact Whey (tons of flavors) - but most have sucralose (Splenda). Are you sensitive to that one too? It sounds like commercial shakes are a bad idea if you react to ALL artificial sweeteners.

Maybe look for shelf stable foods to keep in a drawer instead? Nuts, dried fruit, hummus/cracker packs, whole-food granola bars, anything that will keep. Cost Plus sells PackItGourmet shelf stable cheese for good cheese and crackers.

Heck, in the winter I keep packets of nonfat dry milk and low-cal hot chocolate in my drawer - gives me protein in a hot drink when it's chilly.
  • rea71
    rea71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am looking myself for a shake, I can’t afford the MLM shakes. A friend suggested I try Vega one, no dairy which is a huge plus for me. Wish it came in sample packs, just to try it before I buy a large container.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Huel is a good meal replacement
    And comes in unsweetened
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just be aware the a protein shake isn't the same thing as a meal replacement shake...a meal replacement will have a variety of nutrients where a protein shake is just a protein supplement.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rea71 wrote: »
    I am looking myself for a shake, I can’t afford the MLM shakes. A friend suggested I try Vega one, no dairy which is a huge plus for me. Wish it came in sample packs, just to try it before I buy a large container.

Why do you need a shake?

What is your reasoning?

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I used to be crazy about protein shakes. However, they were *NOT* meal replacements. They were simply supplements to my protein intake. I had lots and lots of good stuff in them....they *could* be pretty high, calorically speaking. But usually they were another 24g or 25g or Protein. I like the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (Double Rich Chocolate was my weakness).

I know that there are lots and lots of "Slimfast" drinks out there. A former friend of mine used to drink the Equate or the Kroger version as a supplement to her nutrition (it was often the only thing that she would "eat" - so not sure how much of a 'supplement' it was.....). I do not know what they might contain in the way of sweeteners.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey, that is a great idea. And, they can cost you about $1 per bar (or less), too! They are usually good for about 400 calories and about 20g Protein, 55g Carbs and 10g Fats. I pay attention to the macros on the label and do not get the ones that are "only" 12g Protein. But, that is just me....
  • angievanhill
    angievanhill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do Isagenix and was SUPER skeptical. I'm 2 weeks in and I'll never go without it. I like the convenience of it. (I drive a truck.) I actually save money bc I'm not stopping at gas stations, eating out, etc. I like it vs every other shake I've tried, I can't handle fake sugars!(soo gross) :( Not all protein powders are the same. At all. You need to research what you put into your body. :) Good luck!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    rea71 wrote: »

Vega does come in single serve sizes (i've seen them at whole foods). Orgain also has a meal replacement shake as well (no idea if it comes in single serve sizes). For me personally, shakes are never very filling, so I only use them to supplement protein.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Apparently Soylent is a decent meal replacement drink. They have some different flavours. I've heard that Nectar tastes like fruity pebbles milk, Original tastes like cheerio milk, Cacao tastes like chocolate milk and Coffiest is coffee-flavoured. My friend's office stocks them in their fridge and my friend loves Coffiest.