Type 2 Diabetic Senior

Options
I"m working hard to re-engage myself in a self-management program to ensure my diabetes is well managed, to maximize satisfaction in life, and to avoid delegating all responsibility for blood sugar mgmt to medications!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You'll find a pack of us on here. For the vast majority of us, the most important factor in controlling or even getting rid of type II diabetes is weight loss. So, welcome to the pack. I'm 32 pounds down since the beginning of the summer so it can definitely be done!!
  • djscruggs
    djscruggs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Welcome Heidi. I've been a diabetic for about 8 years. I immediately went Vegan for about a year....very disciplined and experimental....My blood results were incredible, BUT my wife hated my diet AND it was difficult to maintain on the road (I'm a consultant, and til recently, have traveled tremendously.

Fortunately, I'm an excellent cook. I'm now trying to take on a long term balanced diet with Carb control as the basic premise. For years, I've been primarily tuned in to Fat and Fiber, so I'm having to add insight and awareness to my regimen.

I also struggle with depression....which means I've had some long periods of "I don't give a s***, and I throw any discipline toward diet and exercise down the drain.

As of now, I've lost 5 of the 30 pounds I'd most like to lose....but more importantly, I'm enjoying the sense I ALWAYS feel when I take control of my life and begin to live in ways that serve me.