Exercise routine opinions please

Options
I am wondering if my plan sounds ok. I've recently discovered hiit and have been doing the following for a couple of weeks, still early days!

Mon, Wed, Fri: 20-25 min hiit workout
Tue, Thur: 20-25 min kettlebell workout

I enjoy hiit more but know strength training is important. I follow rouines on youtube, Fitness Blender and Joe Wicks mostly at the moment.

I only want to lose 10lbs but would like to lose fat and maintain muscle as much as possible.

Hope this makes sense! Does this seem enough for now? I thought I'd stick to this until Christmas and reassess then.

Replies

• jlynn1991
    jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds great to start out with! If you start too heavy, you’ll more than likely give up after awhile. I spent all last month on 20 min aerobics and circuit training and this month on 20 minute kettleball work outs. I’ve lost 3.6 pounds since oct 18 and I only work out 5 days a week. I plan on doing JM 30 day shred next month and know the muscle I gain with kettleball will help get the most out of 30DS.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    It's actually interval workouts you're doing because HIIT is done at about 90% effort. And that effort doesn't last 20-25 minutes.
    Anyway, resistance exercise of any type will help to retain muscle as long as you're supplying enough protein. For fat loss, you just have to maintain a moderate calorie deficit.
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• disneyprincess29
    disneyprincess29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I forgot to add that I understand I need a calorie deficit too. My aim for the excercise is general well being, a bit extra energy and to hopefully up cardio fitness and maintain muscle mass. I was hoping this would be enough for now.
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That is a great plan to start. SMART goals (Small, Measurable, Attainable, Reasonable, and Timed) Many people have the tendency to start big, and set themselves up for failure if it is not a reasonable routine to include in their lives. Great start! Sounds awesome!