Workout options limited on doctor's orders?

Options
Surely I can't be the only one who is severely limited as far as exercise options? I was born with hip dysplasia which was not corrected in a timely matter. 23 years, 2 massive surgeries, and 1 arthritic knee and hip later, my orthopedic surgeon has seriously limited my physical activity in order to postpone another surgery as long as possible. Running is absolutely not an option and even the elliptical is pushing it. Essentially, I can bike or swim and that's about it. I LOVE spin class and swimming, but I think my body is getting too comfortable doing the same exercises every week and I know I get bored sometimes too!

If anyone is in a similar situation or has suggestions for other workouts I could try, I'm all ears!

Replies

• brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Bump, I am having knee issues and will have to limit my activity.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    With the limited exercise by your doctor I would advise consulting them about changes you can make to keep your weight off remain active and stave off the additional surgeries for a longer period of time. I wonder if they can refer you to someone who can help you devise an exercise plan.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Can you do yoga? It can be no impact and really work large muscle groups. You can tailor some of the moves to your own limitations and is an exercise in mind and body.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Ask the doc about weight lifting.

Also... second opinions are awesome. (I was supposed to have been in a wheelchair by the age of 30 due to congenital issues and injuries... am 36, lift weights, run (when I can't avoid it. LOL), do Insanity (with modifications) and am still on my own feet).
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great form of cardio. But i would check with your doctor if there is anything they can recommend.
  • r_stapleton2
    Options
    YeS !! I too have knee problems and can only do the stationary bike and swimming. Dr said I could do the elipticial .... but I haven't tried it yet. I ride the bike most days for at least 30 minutes .. sometimes up to an hour. Feel free to friend me .. and we can encourage each other. Good Luck to you !!
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    I have a couple co-workers who have had success with weight loss without exercise. One simply doesn't like it and lost 60lbs with diet alone. She did another diet program, same idea tho (heathy eating, no special drinks or pills). Another has back problems and had a restricted activity level until this week and she has lost 19lbs on myfitness pal supplementing her activity with walking, 2.0 - 3.0mph, swimming leisurely and stretchingn only. It is possible to lose but you have less flexibility with your diet.
  • scv4414
    scv4414 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Weight Lifting!? First of all, it does incredible things for your metabolism. Second, my dad, who was diagnosed with bad spondalitis at age 19 and lost a lot of mobility by age 30, started weight lifting in his 30's. He is not able to do any high impact cardio, but weight lifting has changed his entire body and basically stopped the disease in it's tracks. He built his core and that made a huge impact on the rest of his body. Swimming and spinning can give you the calorie burning that you need. (Even better, swimming intervals to really get your heart rate up would be the best!) But I just saw such amazing results in my dad's disease when I was a kid, it has made me a weight lifter for life.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have gotten second opinions, but they aren't much good because the condition I have is fairly obvious (visible even to myself on xrays, noticable limp after a long day of walking, etc.). I have been doing pilates for years just to stay flexible, but obviously that doesn't help with weight loss. I suppose I could ask a personal trainer at my gym for some help too. Are they necessarily qualified for giving those sort of medical recommendations though?

Also, I know this is cliche - but I'm still that girl who's too scared to weightlift at the gym! Really need to get over this, especially once I get down to the last pound or two.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have gotten second opinions, but they aren't much good because the condition I have is fairly obvious (visible even to myself on xrays, noticable limp after a long day of walking, etc.). I have been doing pilates for years just to stay flexible, but obviously that doesn't help with weight loss. I suppose I could ask a personal trainer at my gym for some help too. Are they necessarily qualified for giving those sort of medical recommendations though?

Also, I know this is cliche - but I'm still that girl who's too scared to weightlift at the gym! Really need to get over this, especially once I get down to the last pound or two.

Most personal trainers at gyms do not have specialized training for injuries... or they'd be physical therapists... which is an option too. See if your doctor will give you a recommendation for physical therapy.. those are the folks who are the experts in the "exercise with physical restrictions" category.
  • scv4414
    scv4414 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So...I totally get feeling intimidated about weight lifting. It might be worth seeing a personal trainer for a few sessions. I had to be taught how to properly lift weights, the right amount, which machines and the schedule of when to lift etc. It really helped. And you definitely can see results fast. It's sooo worth it. You definitely won't bulk up either unless you get into heavy lifting.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Docs don’t know everything, especially about exercise. According to my doc I am not supposed to be doing any overhead lifting, yet I can overhead press 165lbs now and my “bad” shoulder is stronger than every specifically because I ignored his advice. Ignoring a doctor’s advice is a viable option as long as you do it intelligently i.e. research on your own what options are best for you and your conditions.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend weight lifting. It'll help your weight loss to gain some muscle and should help jolt your body a bit by changing up your workout routine. If you're nervous about lifting or aren't sure how, I'm sure you can get a session with a trainer to show you the ropes. Another alternative would be start with a variety of push-ups and use resistance bands to work your back and biceps...all of which you could do at home.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have 2 disc herniations in my middle and lower back.

I've seen my regular doctor (who never tries to give me advice about nutrition and exercise by the way lol), and have been referred and have seen 3 different back and spinal surgeons. I've had 3 MRI's done, and had the 3rd one done recently actually.

Needless to say, my back is screwed and it's putting it mildy. The only thing that MIGHT help is surgery, but don't want to do it. I still train hard in the gym but I do not risk doing free form squats and deadlifts. They are the only two exercises I won't do.

Last year I did squats and while I have great form and things were going smooth for a while. When I increased the weight slowly my back became more irritated until finally the weight of the bar with the plates resting on the back of my shoulders doing squats had too much compression on the mid and lower spine which caused it to become more irritated and then injured.

It put me out of the gym for 10 months.

What sucks is the squat and the deadlift are THE two BEST exercises a bodybuilder can do to get gains, and I can't do them. Pisses me off when I think about it. And no, lunges and squats with dumbells are not the same. =)
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I ran a lot last summer and it caused a great deal of trouble for my hip, which is what prompted me to see the orthopedic about what exercises were best for me. It was bad, I'd go for a 45 minute run and be practically bedridden the next day from the pain. However, I am loving your input about weight lifting! I'm going to call the gym this week and set up a session with a trainer so I can learn the ropes :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    And no, lunges and squats with dumbells are not the same. =)

No they are not the same, but that are better than leg press. Just use the 100lb’ers, which will build some good grip strength too. Also, have you tried front squats? The more vertical spinal position and bar position might allow you to get away with it.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Hey there ! I"m 4 months post-op from a right total knee replacement and am doing great. Prior to the injury that precipitated the surgery, I was an outdoor power walker with an emphasis on hills. With my PT and doc's whole-hearted approval, I moved into fitness after PT. I'm strength training and alternate between elliptical and bike for my cardio. The only thing I shouldn't do is pound my knee - nothing high impact. No running, vigorous jumping - that kind of stuff. And yea, need to hold up on the hill walking : ) I can do the treadmill, just don't groove on it - too boring and it does irritate my knee just a bit.

With all that said: Weights. I never thought I"d like it, but I do ! I too was intimidated, but lucked out on a gym that totally makes me feel comfortable taking part in this out-of-my-comfort zone activity. I schedule a monthly check-up with the trainer who tweaks my workout routine. I'm now doing intervals - weights then cardio, then back to weights. Is working for me and I enjoy it ! Try it, you just may like it !!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    And no, lunges and squats with dumbells are not the same. =)

No they are not the same, but that are better than leg press. Just use the 100lb’ers, which will build some good grip strength too. Also, have you tried front squats? The more vertical spinal position and bar position might allow you to get away with it.

I might start the DB's. Frontal squats with light weight shouldn't be a problem. It's going heavy thats a problem. Don't want to risk being out of the gym for a long period of time.